90 days

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jan 2021 3:22 PM by Pjplastering Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Hello again hope you are all well.

can somebody please explain the 90 rule as I'm a bit confused regarding when the 180 day rules starts again after a break in the eu.

thanks

pete

Like 0      
10 Jan 2021 4:10 PM by Meryt Star rating. 28 posts Send private message

As explained in thelocal.es....

Over a year you could spend 180 days in total in Spain but not consecutively, you would have to spend time outside the EU (such as back in the UK) in between. You can do your 90 days as one block or as several shorter trips, but in every 180 days the total number of days must not exceed 90

Like 1      
10 Jan 2021 5:14 PM by Pjplastering Star rating. 27 posts Send private message

Thank you for your reply when does the 180 days start from.

thanks again 

pete

Like 0      
10 Jan 2021 7:10 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

It started on Jan 1st

Like 0      
10 Jan 2021 8:00 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Think I've got the question right.

The 180 days starts from the first day you enter a Schengen area country. The day arriving and the day leaving counts as part of the 180 days. During the next 180 days you can either visit for 90 days in one go or several visits which mustn't add up to more than 90 days. 

It can get confusing but there is a Schengen calculator where you can enter the dates you come into a Schengen country and when you leave. The calculator lets you enter the dates you are visiting and tells you when you have to leave by or how much time you have left in the area.

The linked site also explains it in detail. Schengen Calculator

Like 2      
14 Jan 2021 5:01 PM by rayinspain Star rating in Pontypridd. 19 posts Send private message

The 90 in any rolling 180 days rule has been in place in Spain for some time so there is no real change for this country.  The change is extending it to other EU countries.  I'm not sure how the transition will work, and the clock starts again, but for me it's irrelevant given that I cannot go there anyway!

Also, it is still likely that come 1 January 2022, the ETIAS scheme will become operational (it was originally scheduled to start the first of this month).  Under this scheme, the 90 in 180 rule remains but one will have to apply for a visa waiver.

This message was last edited by rayinspain on 14/01/2021.

Like 1      
15 Jan 2021 8:56 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

RayinSpain, if you make a few trips in the year it's very difficult to plan without using the Schengen calculator - I know I've tried and failed. 

I've now formed a rolling annual template - starting with the period that I really wish to be in Spain, working backwards.

For me this year should be easier as there's no use of the Jan, Feb March months due to Covid - these can impinge on allowance for the summer months.

In time the Spanish may relax the rules, who knows?  Of course they are bad news all round.

This message was last edited by acer on 16/01/2021.

Like 1      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

'New' tax on income from property. - 21 posts
toy poodle puppies - 2 posts
Volunteer work - 4 posts
CGT - 0 posts
WINTER RENTAL SPAIN - 6 posts
Early termination of long term lease - 4 posts
Non residents tax being rejected by bank - 3 posts
Utilities - 1 posts
GREAT NEWS - 0 posts
NEED TO CLOSE SANTANDER ACCOUNT FROM ABROAD - 1 posts
EHIC cards - 21 posts
Feliz navidad - 0 posts
Irish passport - 29 posts
Key holding licence in Spain - 3 posts
Gibraltar/La Linea Border - 1 posts
Residencia, tax returns and not in country 183 days - 6 posts
Organised Mortgage Fraud and Caixabank threatening legal action despite knowing this! - 10 posts
Query re latest Supreme Court ruling on IRPH mortgage clauses and the impact on know of ECJ rulings - 1 posts
Do homemade DVD's work in Spain? - 1 posts
advice needed on builder asking for 50% upfront fee prior to starting work - 13 posts
Alternative to Negative PCR Testing before arriving in Spain by Sea or Air - 0 posts
Registering for healthcare in Spain - 2 posts
Tax redemption form sale of property - 12 posts
Living in Spain after Brexit. What worries you? - 9 posts
End of November Podcast with Maria de Castro - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x