Tax withholding without NIE

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Sep 2020 11:48 AM by brachap Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I do not reside in the EU and I do not have a Spanish NIE. That said, I have been considering investing in Spain, via funding to local businesses (real estate developers). I understand that by Spanish law, interest on loans given to local businesses, is taxable at the source and requires the business to withhold the taxes, before forwarding the interest to the investor. My question is: how can this be done, if I do not have a NIE? Will my Passport suffice or am I blocked from performing such an investment, without a NIE?

Like 1      
14 Sep 2020 1:42 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2328 posts Send private message

Real Estate? Are you American by any chance? If so don't you get news of the house building problems in Spain that you wish to invest in? Bad enough putting money into a Spanish bank let alone a house building project.

Like 4      
14 Sep 2020 5:03 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

You would need to set up an offshore company somewhere like the Gambia, Africa.

Like 0      
30 Oct 2020 8:17 AM by brachap Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you, @Kavanagh. Would you mind elaborating a bit, as I am not sure how this would work and what is the difference, in this regard, from a private person, living in a non-EU country and an offshore company?

Like 0      
05 Dec 2022 3:05 PM by BkeKay Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

If you are not an EU resident and do not have a Spanish NIE, then it is likely that you will be unable to invest in Spanish businesses directly. Many Spanish companies require an NIE to open a bank account and process any payments. Without an NIE, you would be unable to receive any interest payments, as the business would not be legally able to withhold the taxes.

embed

Like 0      
05 Dec 2022 4:08 PM by Kavanagh Star rating in Oil Drum Lane Newcas.... 1316 posts Send private message

Kavanagh´s avatar

An offshore company is defined as a company that is incorporated in a jurisdiction that is other than where the beneficial owner resides. In other words, an offshore company is simply a company that is incorporated in a country overseas, in a foreign jurisdiction.

An offshore company definition, however, is not that simple and will have varying definitions depending upon the circumstances. The term "offshore" is what often appears confusing to most people and is used in contrast to traditional "onshore" companies.

While an "onshore company" refers to a domestic company that exists and functions within the borders of a country, an offshore company in comparison is an entity that conducts all of its transactions outside the borders where it is incorporated. Because it is owned and exists as a non-resident entity, it is not liable to local taxation, as all of its financial transactions are made outside the boundaries of the jurisdiction where it is located.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Deadline for off plan claims IS NOT OCTOBER BUT DECEMBER - 0 posts
Tax cost - 4 posts
la palma island - 2 posts
Is it safe to go to Spain....... - 5 posts
Taking and leaving a car in Spain - 2 posts
Hardwired Burglar Alarm - 3 posts
Sky News has now gone encrypted - 2 posts
Catch Up/On Demand TV programmes - 1 posts
Spain's tough stance on Visa rules & Covid - 4 posts
Looking for a small house, finca, bungalow in the middle of nature. - 0 posts
Resident - 1 posts
Tie information - 8 posts
BBC iPlayer - 2 posts
Padron - 4 posts
Community President - 2 posts
Hot tub - Jacuzzi - 4 posts
Resident - 10 posts
COVID 19 Testing - 8 posts
Declaring gift to Spanish Authorities - 4 posts
Understand the situation, please reply if you know - 2 posts
What Legal Rights Does The Mother Of My Son’s Child Have? (Spanish rights) - 4 posts
2nd PODCAST DISCUSSION WITH MARIA - 2020 deadline for claims against Banks in off-plan purchases, illegal houses... - 0 posts
1st PODCAST DISCUSSION WITH MARIA : Is NOW a good time to buy? - 0 posts
Punta Prima Commercial Centre - 0 posts
Problem with Telefonica Fija (landline) Phone Incoming Calls last only 3 rings - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x