Do I need to renew Spanish car insurance?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2018 12:42 PM by flunky54 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi,

Do I need to renew my spanish car insurance annually if I only use the Spanish registered car once maybe twice a year, then renew it when we go over there and cancel it when we come back, giving the insurers the statutory 2 months notice?

Thx

Like 0      
11 Aug 2018 12:57 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

You may well find that Spanish insurers have their own rules. It may be possible to pause the cover during non-use periods but otherwise they may say, as they have done to me on occasions, that the cover is annual and no refunds are made.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2018 2:10 PM by Jarvi Star rating in Halifax UK and Sucin.... 757 posts Send private message

What if its stolen or sets on fire? I cant see any company allowing you to do what you suggest.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2018 3:08 PM by flunky54 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

It is behind locked gates and in a garage, we only go to the house as I said once/twice a year, we were also thinking about maybe selling it and just hiring a car?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2018 3:54 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

This has been discussed on here before but I can't find the original.

You must insure your car whether it is being used or not. This is the same as in UK now but you can SORN your car in UK. There is no such thing as SORN in Spain so it must be kept insured.

The point about cancelling has already been made. If you cancel after a couple of months, the insurance company does not refund the difference.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2018 4:17 PM by EsmeraldaDizon Star rating in Alicante & Westminst.... 3 posts Send private message

EsmeraldaDizon´s avatar

You could do a Mr Bean and remove the steering wheel.

statutory 2 months notice?  decided or controlled by law, more like made up.

Why an annual policy, where did that ever come from. They told me when I went to Asia it was Spanish law I had to have my car insured even if not used and off road.

There is unquestionably a market here for PAYG insurance for holiday home owners.

This message was last edited by EsmeraldaDizon on 11/08/2018.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2018 5:16 AM by nicbax Star rating in Fuengirola. 195 posts Send private message

Hi, you say you only use the car once or twice a year. you outlay for a years insurance, road fund, ITV, servicing and repairs; with respect is it really worth the cost coupled with depreciation. Would be cheaper to hire a car.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi everyone - 8 posts
kennel managers - 0 posts
La Sella Golf Shares for sale - 0 posts
Power of attorney for my elderly parents - can anyone help? - 5 posts
Messing about on the water - 1 posts
raspberry pi zero - 0 posts
IF YOU HAVE TAKEN THE PAINKILLER DRUG NOLOTIL/METAMIZOL AND IT HAS AFFECTED YOU OR YOUR FAMILY PLEASE READ & ACT NOW. - 0 posts
Renal wanted in area of Malaga - 1 posts
minimum number of owners in a community of owners. - 4 posts
Alicante metro for over-65s - 1 posts
Information on Gaucin - 1 posts
Recommendations for a Community Administrator in Marbella - 0 posts
Self Employed Rules - 1 posts
Plusvalia on Inherited Property - 1 posts
Currencies Direct - has anyone used their money transfer services? - 7 posts
Community issue - 14 posts
Community issue - 0 posts
Peinsa 97 SL being finally liquidated - 0 posts
Community of owners and Data Protection compliance - 5 posts
Fears about buying a property in Spain - 6 posts
RATS - 1 posts
Bazza56 - 1 posts
model aircraft clubs - 0 posts
Buying Property - Protecting Myself (Ongoing Divorce) - 4 posts
help required with 3 main questions. thank you. - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x