current residency, potential brexit and health care

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2016 10:14 PM by Lilgoff Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi, lots of info/misinfo out there about brexit, I have held spainish residency for two years and as type 1 diabetic working here in spain, health care here is very important to me. In short does any one  have reliable info on how brexit may affect people like me? 

Like 0      
01 Mar 2016 10:31 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1223 posts Send private message

There's a whole thread about this on here called Brixit. Have a look at some of the misinformation on there. As good a load of guesswork as you're going to get anywhere.

Brexit spelled Brixit

This message was last edited by mariedav on 01/03/2016.

Like 1      
02 Mar 2016 5:25 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1935 posts Send private message

When the UK leaves the EU you will have to apply for a work permit and providing you are paying Spanish national insurance contributions you will be OK for Spanish  NHS treatment.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 6:10 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

" In short does any one have reliable info?"

In short - NO!

IF the UK leaves the EU, you MAY have to apply for a work permit - and the thousands of Spaniards living and working in the UK may have to do likewise. Far more likely surely that the UK would become part of the EEA, or negotiate arrangements like Switzerland and you won't need a permit? Either way, probably nothing will be finalised for at least a couple of years, and even then the divorce lawyers will want to eke it out as long as poss to maximise their profits from the situation; chances are by the time it's all ironed out, you'll be a permanent resident anyway so it won't affect your status. Then later on you can apply for Spanish citizenship....

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 7:26 PM by Hephaestus Star rating in The Peak District Na.... 1234 posts Send private message

Mods, could you please combine this with the 'Brixit' thread, and amend it's misspelling?

As for what may happen if the UK leaves the EU, I can't imagine that there would be famine and pestilence, however I still reckon that there is an offer that we can't refuse lurking somewhere in the bottom of Angela Merkel's handbag. 

I'm Spartacus, well why not?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Mortgage gift from parents - taxable in Spain? - 6 posts
These banks are having a laugh - 2 posts
Info re new letting regs in Andalucia - 7 posts
Looking for Legal translator or Lawyer - 0 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 1 posts
Pro's and con's for leasing cars in Spain - 2 posts
where to buy? - 45 posts
Estate agents, Good or Bad? - 18 posts
Purchasing bank repossessed penthouse - 10 posts
Almoradi - 3 posts
Buying or selling a a car - 2 posts
The varying costs of living in Spanish cities - 0 posts
Moving to Alicante - 1 posts
Missed calls in the UK from a Spanish number - 5 posts
Where do agents get there price from. - 12 posts
driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK - 47 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x