Mortgage gift from parents - taxable in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2016 7:01 PM by Tobi32 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone,

I am Spanish resident and recently I have taken a mortgage and bought a flat in Andalucia. Most of the money for deposit, initial taxes and fees were transfered from my parents as a donation/gift. Is this money taxable in Spain? Do I need to declare the amount of donation or gift for tax purposes? Is it possible that Hacienda will enquire abut this when I pay the annual IBI tax?

Any help much appreciated.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2016 7:09 PM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

Spanish Gift Tax

From Advoco solicitors

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 10:45 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

IBI is paid to your local town hall; I very much doubt that Hacienda are interested in that or even aware of it.

It's only the lump sum you received that might arouse interest. I'm not sure if the banks are obliged to report any significant sums arriving in your account. If the deposit was paid directly by your parents, it will be even harder for Hacienda to establish how much you were "gifted". Are you employed / self-employed? Do you submit annual tax returns? Don't take this as advice, but unless Hacienda have reason to be scrutinizing your affairs, I would imagine it will go unnoticed. If you're concerned, however, I would recommend speaking to a gestor / tax accountant for advice. Like most here, I'm only guessing.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 1      
02 Mar 2016 2:40 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

For payments of more than 3000 euros made into a Spanish bank account, the bank will automatically notify Hacienda.  So Hacienda may follow it up and ask for proof of origin of the money.

It would have been better to split it up into smaller chunks of 1000-2000 euros, which is what the Spanish would generally do in this case.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
02 Mar 2016 3:42 PM by Tobi32 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks a lot everyone for the explanations and suggestions. I need to have a word with my gestor I guess.

Like 0      
03 Mar 2016 8:13 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Tobi32:

Some answers below in bold green ( same text as your email): 

Hi Everyone,

I am Spanish resident and recently I have taken a mortgage and bought a flat in Andalucia. Most of the money for deposit, initial taxes and fees were transfered from my parents as a donation/gift.

From your parents account abroad? 

Is this money taxable in Spain? Do I need to declare the amount of donation or gift for tax purposes? Yes, as you are a Spanish tax resident. Is it possible that Hacienda will enquire abut this when I pay the annual IBI tax?

When money comes from abroad and that is used for a proeprty purchase, Notaries are obligued to attach a Bank certificate with specification of funds origin when the property is completed. Did not happen in your case?

Any help much appreciated.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
04 Mar 2016 10:14 AM by Tobi32 Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thank you mariadecastro. Regarding your questions, yes, the money was transferred from my parents account abroad. However, half the money was first tranferred to my euro account abroad and then to my Spanish account. The other half directly to my Spanish account. And these were different amounts, sometimes 1k, sometimes 3k or 10k. I can't remember a bank certificate attached by the notary, I will need to it find out. Thanks

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

These banks are having a laugh - 2 posts
Info re new letting regs in Andalucia - 7 posts
Looking for Legal translator or Lawyer - 0 posts
Spanish Lawyers - 1 posts
Pro's and con's for leasing cars in Spain - 2 posts
where to buy? - 45 posts
Estate agents, Good or Bad? - 18 posts
Purchasing bank repossessed penthouse - 10 posts
Almoradi - 3 posts
Buying or selling a a car - 2 posts
The varying costs of living in Spanish cities - 0 posts
Moving to Alicante - 1 posts
Missed calls in the UK from a Spanish number - 5 posts
Where do agents get there price from. - 12 posts
driving our (Legal) Spanish car to the UK - 47 posts
Hacienda Del Alamo - Do villa's rent well & is there still a fly problem? - 7 posts
Looking to buy in Torrox - 0 posts
Purchase Tax - 0 posts
How do we get 'approved' to be able to post links in forum posts? - 3 posts
Sarah - 2 posts
Is there Spanish Law about TV aerials in Communities - 10 posts
La Caixa bank charges - 1 posts
New to Spain and this Forum - 5 posts
Spanish Lawyer still has 5000 euros of mine - 12 posts
Trading Cars, License needed but how? - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x