Hola! me nombre es Kane - British teacher needing advice on moving to Valencia

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Oct 2015 6:14 PM by kt1989 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi In January 2016 my partner and I are planning to move from England to Valencia. We are qualified English teachers in our mid twenties, and we are looking to find work and settle in Spain, first as private tutors (then we will look for jobs in a language school with a bit of luck!) Integration is important to us and we have spent the last few months learning as much of the langauge as possible.
 I need some advice about the best way to secure our accommodation. We are looking for a long term rent on an apartment  500-600 euros a month approx and we wish to stay near or around the city centre. Because we are in the UK should we book our property viewings BEFORE the week we arrive or is it best to sort this out in person once we are there and stay in a hotel in the mean time? We would not want to stay in a hotel for too long.
I want to know i anyone other young brits have had expereince sorting a  long term rental on a spanish property and for them to let me know how they secured it  
This is all completely new to us so any advice I could get from you on this would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking time to read this :) 
Kane

Like 0      
12 Oct 2015 7:24 PM by GB45 Star rating in Wiltshire and holida.... 130 posts Send private message

My advice would be to go out first and then find a place to rent. It shouldn't be difficult or expensive to find a hotel or short term let in January. Do read the threads on moving and living in Spain on this forum and most important, do have enough money to cover living expenses for at least 6 months (some say a year). You will need to factor in private health care as well. Unlike the UK, Spanish healthcare is not resident based but contribution based. Also, jobs are very hard to find. Do a lot of reaserch.......and good luck.

Like 1      
12 Oct 2015 8:20 PM by Fartharder Star rating in Loriguilla.. 172 posts Send private message

Fartharder´s avatar

Some good advice from GB45. There was a thread on here recently entitled 'What would you do differently' which although (as per usual) went off topic, hopefully it will help you not to make the mistakes many of us have made. You can check out idealista.com or fotocasa.es to get an idea of what property is available, how much and where etc but I wouldn't decide on a property before coming over. Luckily Valencia is very cheap for a large city so it won't drain your money too quickly but do take into account the job situation and also the fact that the lack of work has led many people like yourself to take up teaching English so don't assume you're in a niche market.

Bring winter clothes too, it's colder than you think in January.

Like 1      
15 Oct 2015 6:48 PM by kt1989 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Some good advice given here, thank you both very much !

Like 1      
16 Oct 2015 2:02 PM by dbd Star rating. 63 posts Send private message

One other rather important point. If you intend to work in Spain teaching English before you find a job be careful. Self employed people are expected to pay to be autonomo which is 269 euros a month regardless of what you earn and it must be paid on time or else you get fined. One example is that You will be hard pressed to find a Spanish builder prepared to work in the open for fear of getting caught by the aurhorities. They are known to walk arounfd towns both inland and on the coast looking for evidence of building work to check that all workmen are paying their fair whack. The fine I believe is somewhere in the region of 6000 euros. It is less likely you would run into prpblems working from home but remember you will have to advertise for classes.

Like 0      
28 Oct 2015 11:19 AM by Lifeline Star rating in Murcia. 365 posts Send private message

Lifeline´s avatar

Have you tried International schools like Kings College of which there are lots.Not such a good time of year to apply as most employ in Spring and start dates are August as you will know. 

Google International schools, Spain. These are great schools to work in, as I am talking from experience teaching in South American schools and many Spanish parents use them as they want their children to learn English from an early age.

Daveil

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LOCAL RATES 2015 - PAYMENT ENFORCEMENT - 7 posts
How do you get in touch with moderators on this site - 5 posts
E-bike rental service - 1 posts
First time visiting El Saladillo near Mazarron - 4 posts
Hi,I'm,Fairygirl and I'm looking for a place to,rent for February and March next year in Gran Alacant, Alicante - 0 posts
Surcharges on debts - 3 posts
SPANISH EQUIVALENT OF RSPCA - 2 posts
Car and trailer query - 2 posts
Do we get the title dees? - 1 posts
Making a very simple will - 1 posts
Marbella rentals & occupancy - 4 posts
Gran Canaria. A new life? Dream or reality? - 4 posts
PRODUCTIVE PARTICIPATION IN THE ANDALUSIAN FORUM ON JUSTICE - 5 posts
Cancelling a life Insurance for mortgage protection after selling property - 5 posts
Looking for a four bed country house in Spain - 0 posts
flight charges - 11 posts
British nationals buy one in eight properties in Spain. - 0 posts
Notary costs in Spain - 2 posts
NOVEMBER 10- final deadline to claim on excessive IHT paid more than 4 years ago - 0 posts
Water Filter Home System - 0 posts
Who Remember Santa Maria Green Hills - MVG - latest update !!! Jose Ramon beats developer - 0 posts
Buy upholstery foam iin south of spain Malaga - 2 posts
Limiting who can be in position of President - 18 posts
Unbelievable meeting - 10 posts
How dose this work. CAR REG - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x