advice needed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Aug 2014 10:54 AM by assia66 Star rating in sheffield ,England. 2 posts Send private message

Hi all new to this forum,would like some advice ,in 2010 i had a car accident i was over the limit of alcohol ,my partner was in the car with me,he suffered injuries but he is ok now,the car was a rite off,when the police came all they did was take 2 breath test of me,took my details and checked my drivers licence,then told me to go home,i was on holiday in la mata ,my partner was taken to hospital, to cut a long story short what i would like to know is my partner went to see a solicitor in spain and managed to claim compensation how i dont know like i said its a long story.I have not heard anything from the courts and i would very much like to come back to spain because i love the country,does anyone know if it is wise to come back or would i get arrested at the airport.Sorry it a long story but any advice would be very much appreciated.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 12:04 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Sounds as though were damn lucky not to be prosecuted by the Spanish Police.Sorry but I think that you got off lightly. Surely the injured party would have claimed against your insurance company and not you personally?

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 12:08 PM by maggiepat Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

the police can catch up with you in the UK i think

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 12:19 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Before your partner even start's to think about making any claims perhaps it would be better to find out if there is a time limit on claiming, I am pretty sure for the UK it's about 3 years, Spain no idea if they even have a time limit.

Next have a serious think before you do start to claim for anything because at the moment it looks like you have got away with what ever happened, start to pursue a claim and its possible you could bring up issue's, for us drivers we might have the time limit, for the authorities it might be a different story, like never.

Also don't you think advice from the correct motor accident solicitors might answer all your questions better.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 2:24 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

baz, I think that the OP is saying that her partner DID make a claim  ( presumably he's not still her partner), that's how I read it anyway. There were not too many full stops so I may be wrong. IF he did, I would assume that the insurance company would have paid out already. The police would have been able to trace her, if they had wanted to, from her license details or the car. I doubt that they would arrest her at the airport, although as you say, there is probably no time limit. We all know that Spanish Justice systems work exceedingly slow.......but still.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 2:47 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Have to agree xetog, and I did read it a good few times as well, I put a "If" between is & my partner, after the compensation bit it breaks down a little.

Four years in the life of Spain, couple of changes of computer systems, lost paperwork, companies come and gone, if they still do remember and arrest at the airport they have to be the most unluckiest visiters going.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 3:22 PM by assia66 Star rating in sheffield ,England. 2 posts Send private message

Hi to all who sent me a reply,the thing is im not that clever on computers so sorry for the way i put things.I am still with my partner and i know i should not have been drinking while driving but the story goes like this, my partner had also been drinking we had an argument in the car and he did something really stupid that could have killed both of us.When the police came i told them what he had done but when they went to see him in hospital he denied all knowledge and could not remember a thing.He was the one who wanted to see a solicitor we told the solicitor everything but he still said he could get compensation from the 3rd party which eventually he did but it turns out the solicitor took more for his fees than what my partner got for compensation.What i like to know is should i risk coming back to spain the solicitor told my partner that i should keep away,i really miss being in spain . Sorry again for errors i put, like i said im not so clever on computers.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2014 3:59 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Perhaps this solicitor has told you that just to keep you away from him so you didn't chase him for the over charged fee's....Or this solicitor has told a massive pack of lies to get the compensation and his fee, and he knows it could well fall back on him if found out.

If every one who did something wrong in Spain stayed away they would have no visitors.

After all this was four years ago, bite the bullet and go....Anyway

You have put up with a partner who could have killed you for the last four years, I should think turning up at an airport worrying that you might, or might not be,  arrested, is a walk in the park for you.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Golf partner - 1 posts
Ezmar Locksmiths - Las Chapas - 0 posts
Car Insurance - 6 posts
Advertising in local press - 0 posts
Driving licence - 0 posts
Spanish driving licence - 0 posts
Selling SMA follow-on milk 6 month to 12 - 0 posts
SMA follow-on milk 6 month to 12. - 0 posts
terraces - 4 posts
New Member - 1 posts
Is Justin Aldridge..................... - 1 posts
Advice? - 6 posts
9 Years on.................. - 7 posts
Royal British Legion for a Service of Commemoration - 0 posts
Bajamisdeudas ayudar reparacion de credito - 0 posts
A Warm Welcome From A new Member From Spain - 8 posts
FM Spanish Promotions - 10 posts
problem with laptop. - 2 posts
Introduction and seeking trusted tax advisor - 2 posts
Rules For Bringing A UK Registered Car to Spain? - 21 posts
Secondhand Car - 5 posts
IBI Impuesto Bienes Inmuebles Urbana Payments - 2 posts
Drought restrictions? - 0 posts
Estate Agents - 13 posts
Estate Agents claims - Paramount. - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x