setting up bed and breakfast mallorca

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Jul 2014 3:23 PM by muse Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi everyone in sunny Spain/mallorca etc etc !

i wonder if anyone can help me ,me and my husband have holidays in mallorca on a regular basis over many years now

we have established a good group of freinds in cala bona ,my husband is a keen cyclist and takes his racing bike with him on hols!!! (i sit by the pool or shop!!}

over many years know we have been toying with  the idea of buying an apartment and renting out rooms to fellow cyclists  especialyy in early months March -june for  UK/EU cyclists to stay with us

does anyone know if we have to apply for a licence or permission to do this as we will be living in the apartment not just renting out

we understand we have to declare tax on earnings etc but is there special planning permission required also

many thanks

janet

Like 0      
06 Jul 2014 9:22 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Short answer - you need a tourist licence, and (in the Balearics at least) you can't get one for an apartment. Plenty of info if you Google it - here's a good starting point: http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2013/04/29/tourist-rental-licences-in-the-balearics-explained/, but you're best seeking professional advice. If you want to speak to a lawyer, I can personally recommend Carlos Foz: http://www.bufetefoz.com/introduction.html, although I couldn't say whether this is one of his areas of expertise.

Good luck!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
23 Jul 2014 3:42 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

You may enjoy this old tip

Business tip 6. How to set a rural bed and breakfast in Spain 
09 March 2010 @ 07:37 

Transforming a house in a rural tourism house.

Rural tourism is a consolidated activity in Spain. A Bed and Breakfast Rural house, is a sort of hostel in a typical village and family atmosphere that welcomes tourists and provides accommodation at convenient prices. 

The work required to enable a building to serve a a rural tourism accommodation is simple, if the house is in good conditions.The administrative formalities are reduced to the submission of certain documentation at City Hall and in the Tourism department of the corresponding autonomous region.

However, before opening a rural tourism business, a number of matters need to be addressed:

1.- Financial and economic study on the rehabilitation of the property.
 2.- The seasonal character of the business, which causes the occupation is not constant, but focused mainly on short holiday periods like Easter, Christmas and certain long weekends (puentes). 
 3.- Not  every rural house can be used as a rural tourism house . Along with the requirements of each Autonomous Community themselves,  it is important to take into account environmental conditions, the contiguity of natural parks, winter resorts, coastal areas....
 4.-Cultural attractions, or access to activities of active tourism, can help to achieve a more lasting occupation during the year and  are critical to the profitability of the business. 

In general terms, with differences due to regional laws, a tourism rural house must have:

1.- Running water.

2.- Electricity, either by traditional or alternative ways whish secure the adequate supply of electricity, meeting the security measures required by REBT (Low Voltage Electrotechnical Regulations).

3.- One bathroom for every five seats.

4.- Medicine cabinet

5.- Heating for bedrooms and bathroom.

6.- Dining room 

7.- Lounge for guests use 

8.- A fire extinguisher on each floor. 

Bedrooms can be single, double or triple, they must have enough room to ensure guests' comfort. Thebathroom needs to at least be equipped with  water seal toilet, sink and shower or bath. The house needs to have good lighting and direct ventilation to the outside or an uncovered patio  and have a decor in keeping with the surroundings. It will at least have a living-room with adequate furniture and akitchen with stove, refrigerator and washing machine. 

It is generally located in a small town, of  usually less than three thousand inhabitants or in an undeveloped area of larger municipalities.The architecture of the house must respect the characteristics of traditional architecture of the region. It will be convenient that the house is open a minimum number of months a year, usually nine. July, August and September are communly mandatory. 

Tourist services for the exclusive use of guests can be offered and also the gastronomy if you chose to have it, must respect the peculiarities of the area. 

One of the major drawbacks of rural tourism in Spain, is the lack of control over the lodgings. This causes the existence of illegal establishments that do not meet the required conditions and worsen the image of this type of tourism.

By Jesús Castro
www.costaluzlawyers.es

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Satellite tv booster - 5 posts
C.C.T.V. Yes or No - 9 posts
A mystery... Animal on roof lifting roof tiles to get at wasp nests? Any others have similar problem? - 4 posts
Corvera airport - 35 posts
Moving goods from UK to Spain - 21 posts
transferring money from spain to england. - 9 posts
ADVICE RE RENTING IN MURCIA/BOLNUEVO AREA FOR 6-12 MONTHS - 23 posts
Can UK medications be posted to a Spanish address? - 3 posts
Spanish say good riddance to departing Brit expats - 7 posts
How do I stand with evicting someone who has no contract and does not pay rent. - 19 posts
Spanish Deposit Account Question - 1 posts
Spain Fails Again - 0 posts
Engraving jewellery while you wait - 1 posts
Have you been "ripped off"? ... read the attached article - 14 posts
Estepona: English speaking doctor in Spanish Haelthcare System? - 1 posts
Endesa online form - Landline?!! - 2 posts
NEW CASE WON! againsg SGR and BBVA in Herrada del Tollo - 1 posts
Buying in Valencia - 3 posts
Native English teacher wanted - 0 posts
New Here & Greetings from Barcelona - 1 posts
Rental - 3 posts
WANTED: Illustration artists who can draw cute cats and / or dogs. $500 per project - 0 posts
Where to buy Udo's oil in Spain - 1 posts
Legal tip 1175. NEW! CASE WON: Orihuela Courts explains Banks Liabilities of law 57/68 28 June 2014 So proud of Judges in my country who are punishing Banks for their illegal operation during the Spanish Real Estate boom. This case, which wsa notified - 2 posts
A little bird - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x