UK inheritance tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Jun 2013 1:58 PM by vivian789 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I am resident in Spain.  My mother who was resident in UK recently died.  I inherit and am below threshold for UK inheritance tax.  I know I have to declare this inheritance to Hacienda but I want to know if I have to pay tax on the inheritance (as opposed to tax on interest I will gain from investing it)? 

Like 0      
11 Jun 2013 2:22 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Come on-thought there would be several replies to this! Maria de Castro, Johnx etc

Like 0      
11 Jun 2013 2:39 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes you do. The amount of tax depends on the amount inherited.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
28 Nov 2013 9:38 PM by GoldenLight Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

This is one of the main reasons we are not moving to Spain.. This very unfair Inheritance Tax the Spanish have, effective double dipping.. In the UK as well as in Canada where I presently reside any Inheritance is taxed (as the norm everywhere) upon death on the estate, taxes owed, capital gains (from sale of stocks etc) are paid.. The benerficeries then are given the settlement from the will and no further liabilities are incurred, if you live in Spain this is now classed as 'income' and you are taxed on your portion of the estate.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 8:57 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

As Gus says:   If one is Tax Resident in Spain they pay tax (with just a couple of exceptions, and depending on any Double Taxation Agreement between Spain and the other country) in Spain, on their worldwide income.  So if you have income anywhere,  inherit anything anywhere or win the Lottery, premium Bonds, pick the winner in the 2.30 at Ascot, etc., you pay tax in Spain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Light,

with respect, it is not unfair it is different.  Each country makes its own laws and its citizens are bound by them.   One cannot say, I will pay this tax based on UK law, that one on Canadian Law, draw a pension based on German Law, pay my road tax as in Spain, etc.   Ojala !

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 9:44 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Read a few months ago UK are not only going down the same route of taxing an inheritance now but trawling back 5 years to tax beneficiaries.
It was in the D Mail so might not be true....

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 1:32 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

Don't read the DM but is that not just the rules around gifting Floella - which means gifts can have a tax liability for years?  Or something new?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 1:37 PM by elaineG Star rating in Spain . 409 posts Send private message

QUOTE:_

The seven-year rule - 'potentially exempt transfers'

Any gifts you make to individuals will be exempt from Inheritance Tax as long as you live for seven years after making the gift. These sorts of gifts are known as 'Potentially Exempt Transfers' (PETs).

However if you give an asset away at any time, but keep an interest in it - for example you give your house away but continue to live in it rent-free - this gift will not be a potentially exempt transfer. Follow the link below to find out more.

If you die within seven years and the total value of gifts you made is less than the Inheritance Tax threshold, then the value of the gifts is added to your estate and any tax due is paid out of the estate.

However, if you die within seven years of making a gift and the gift is valued at more than the Inheritance Tax threshold, Inheritance Tax will need to be paid on its value, either by the person receiving the gift or by the representatives of the estate.

If you die between three and seven years after making a gift, and the total value of gifts that you made is over the threshold, any Inheritance Tax due on the gift is reduced on a sliding scale. This is known as 'Taper Relief'.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 1:48 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

At least the Uk has a decent IHT threshold of 325,000, on the estate, whereas Spain has a derisory allowance of 16,000 on the deceased's assets.Each of the 17 autonomous regions sets its own regional allowance, meaning you pay nothing, or a fortune;if you are 1 cent above the allowance, you don't pay it on the excess-you pay it on the whole amount!

If more people realised this I'm sure there would be a decrease in the numbers of people becoming resident, preferring instead to be a holiday home owner.

Like 1      
29 Nov 2013 3:30 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

If more people realised this I'm sure there would be a decrease in the numbers of people becoming resident, preferring instead to be a holiday home owner.

I must say I never gave that a thought when I decided to come and live in Spain and I would not do so if I were making the decision now.  It would where do I want to live ? Where will I get the most out of life?

As for IHT,   I will be dead !  Having lived where I wanted to

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 3:55 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

But someone has to sort everything out, and even if you've made a will and left instructions and information, someone has to  deal with IHT, sort/sell your house and effects-I don't want my children to be burdened with it.

I think it's something everyone moving to Spain should consider  now that some regions have abolished IHT allowance .

How could most people find thousands of euros to pay IHT when bereaved?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 4:07 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

The way I read the article it was collecting tax from inheritors of estates which , except from death duties, was always free from personal taxation.
This is totally different from the 7 year rule, which has to be done by a legal process, so that if prior death occurs there is still a percentage due via death duties.
Or the permitted annual tax free £ 3000 per individual .

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 4:08 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo, I have given my sons the name of my chosen Gestor.  She will do what is needed so no problems for any one.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 4:13 PM by Roly2 Star rating in Almeria. 646 posts Send private message

If it was only in the DMail, I truly would not worry about it.  It is probably just someone's bright (or not so bright) idea - 

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 4:16 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Admit haven't read about it anywhere else but when Governments are desperate to fill national debt black holes laws by stealth incur.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 5:00 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

johnx even with the best gestor, who surely doesn't sort out the personal stuff it must be a nightmare for relatives to come ourt to Spain to see to things.

Like 0      
29 Nov 2013 5:50 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Campo as we all know things can change with the functionario you are dealing with, the day of the week, the time of the day etc.   so the idea that one could put everything in place, so there would be no problems, I believe is impossible. 

Dealing with day to day matters can be a big enough headache, without going out to look for problems.  And maybe I am fortunate in that both my sons are accountants.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LEASING / SALE OF FINANCIAL INSTRUMENT - 0 posts
Trying to rent in Spain - 3 posts
Transfer of car ownership with all docs but previous owner's NIE. Possible? - 13 posts
Flood Lights - 0 posts
inheritance,should be a good thing right? - 1 posts
sun awnings - 0 posts
Blaming the assets law for cgt - 6 posts
Warning - removals back to the UK - 2 posts
Bilderberg Group: The Secret Rulers of the World - 8 posts
Paying a Bill -a Cautionary Tale - 6 posts
Admin help needed with iPad 4 problems - 5 posts
tbag - 1 posts
Help wanted please - 4 posts
Legal tip 968. Cajamar accepts keys back in Courts - 0 posts
huma . builder - 3 posts
Rise in income tax - 21 posts
HOW DO I SET UP AN ANIMAL CHARITY IN SPAIN? - 2 posts
IS IT STUPID? - 15 posts
Housing prices are on the rise in some coastal areas - 37 posts
Inheritance Tax for non-residents - 32 posts
Gestorial services before we go? - 10 posts
Has anyone used a buying agent? - 7 posts
Trying to find a person who installs log burners and install alarms in Balsicas in Murcia - 3 posts
Wanted - Long Term Let - San Miguel De Salinas area - 0 posts
Stephie - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x