HOW DO I SET UP AN ANIMAL CHARITY IN SPAIN?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jun 2013 1:10 PM by Susanspain Star rating in Mijas, Malaga. 145 posts Send private message

Susanspain´s avatar

Hi, I am looking to set up a dog rescue charity and want to do it all legally. I have the land ready to go and a few volunteers lined up, but want to make sure I set it up as a legal entity.

Likewise, can anyone guide me on any Spanish websites for the legal side of things. I.E is there a standard 'constitution' that all charities have to abide by and write into their legal paperwork.

Sadly I have had bad experiences with committees and the like in various 'charitable organizations' here on the Costa del Sol, and although I want a team of helpers and volunteers to help with the many tasks, as the President, I would want control over any situation where the charity (or more importantly its animals) were at risk. 

Can anyone guide me on what has to be put in the Constituion and how I/the committee can go about dismissing any person (whether a day to day volunteer or even another committee member) if they have behaved in a harmful way to the charity. 

I am assuming we could write some by-laws into the constitution to cover 'all eventualities'.

In the Army there was a clause that said, 'Conduct unbecoming to HM!' which covered anything that was not already covered by specific incidents in the military law book.

I know this sounds sad to be starting off on the defensive, but I have seen charities go under (and animals suffer) due to inflated egos.  

Thanks for any input :) 

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 3:05 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2002/03/26/pdfs/A11981-11991.pdf

Associations Act, 2002.

Do you speak Spanish?

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
06 Jun 2013 4:51 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

You need a minimum of 3 people to set up a non profit  Asociation. So choose them wisely becasue you only need 51% of the votes to remove you from your postion of President in the anual members meeting. Asociations are not companies you can not protect yourself as you can in a company, they are different concepts. However if it isn't going to be entirely non profit set up a company that way no one can mess with you. You won't be able, in an asociation, cover all eventualities, by nature an asociation is not owned by anyone, but run by a group of people who work towards the same cause. If you have no members you shouldn't have any problems but choose the other two carefully. Also look into the aspects of donations, it's not as easy top handle donations through an asociation. Foundations are better prepared for this but much more expensive to set up I believe. If you are serious I would speak to a lawyer.

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

IS IT STUPID? - 15 posts
Housing prices are on the rise in some coastal areas - 37 posts
Inheritance Tax for non-residents - 32 posts
Gestorial services before we go? - 10 posts
Has anyone used a buying agent? - 7 posts
Trying to find a person who installs log burners and install alarms in Balsicas in Murcia - 3 posts
Wanted - Long Term Let - San Miguel De Salinas area - 0 posts
Stephie - 0 posts
taking car to Spain - 4 posts
Paying voluntarily into social security? - 11 posts
Long Term Rental - 3 posts
The Party Spaniardo - 0 posts
What are you thinking when you are driving alone? - 4 posts
Calahonda Car Boot - 2 posts
looking to rent LONG TERM 15k radius of Torrevieja, Costa Blanca - 0 posts
Help needed please - 2 posts
wifi in Andalucia - 0 posts
Handing back the keys to the bank. - 9 posts
Sad news about Julia Sinclair (Jules1) - 7 posts
Inconsistent judicial rulings, BG malpractice and ongoing concerns re consumer rights - 2 posts
looking for house to rent long term - 5 posts
Business Opportunities - 4 posts
Can anybody suggest how I can get my house valued for insurance - 3 posts
JUSTICE FOR SOME AT LAST - 0 posts
gardenfurniture area Heredades-Almoradi-Torrevija - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x