Solar tank

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Mar 2013 10:38 AM by LiJohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Can anyone please tell me where I can buy a new solar tank. Ours has been In stalled for 5 years now and most on our community have burst. I would like to replace before ours does that.
Thanks. Linda

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 11:55 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have a solar panel which heats the water which is then stored in a tank, which is part of the whole unit.  (It is 11 years old.)

Not sure what you mean exactly by 'solar tank

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 12:05 PM by LiJohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Sorry I mean the tank that stores the hot water on the roof adjoining the solar panel. It is made by ariston and as said several of these have burst after only 5 years causing the water to flood out . Have been told that the life span of these tanks are only that amount of time.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 12:18 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I think you may have difficulty locating a purpose made tank,  

Try Googling it with the make and model number. 

Although you could start by asking the neighbours, who you say have already experienced the problem, what they did.

I would think that a water storage tank is a storage tank.

This is from internet. It explains how someone installed a storage tank to replace the original in a solar system, which like yours, rusted through.  I think that is what I would do, but it depends how skilled you are though.

(sorry about the underlining, I could not get rid of it)

The conversion process
Lo
ok for a tank that has at least one extra
removable 3/4" plug on the top. Don't confuse the anode rod plugs with an extra plug. The one I got has two. I only used one though. Make sure there is no check valve or restriction on the cold water intake side. If there is, remove it. Mine had a rubber flapper. I removed it with pliers. If you don't remove it, the water pump may have trouble pulling water back from the tank. Take 6' of 1/2" copper pipe, solder a copper 3/4" thread to 1/2 pipe adapter and solder the adapter so that the bottom of the pipe sticking into the tank will end up about 12" from the bottom. Screw this assembly into the tank using teflon tape on the threads. cut off the remaining 1/2" pipe sticking out - leave about 4" above the adapter. Solder a ball shutoff valve to the that. Add some small pieces of pipe and elbows. Add a anti-siphon check valve if you don't have the electric shutoff type and some more pipe to run to the hot output side of the solar panel. Add a tee to the cold water intake and adapt it down to the intake of your water pump going to the solar collector panels. The other option is to use another spare plug and do the same thing but with a 1/2" pipe that is only 6" from the bottom of the tank. This way, you don't have to remove the check valve built into the tank - if it has one. Once everything is soldered. Apply water pressure and check for leaks. Insulate all your pipes. Don't use that cheap poly stuff, it melts within a week when exposed to the high temperatures of the solar heated water. Now when the panel is hot enough, the motor will turn on and draw water from the intake side and the hot water will go through the check valve and into the water tank.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 22/03/2013.

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 4:05 PM by trowell1 Star rating. 150 posts Send private message

Hi

You cannot just fit any hot water cylinder (tank) to a solar system. the size of the array needs to match the capacity of the cylinder or it will not work correctly.

Go for a stainless steel cylinder which noramlly comes with a 25yr guarantee.

if your ariston cylinder is non stainless you are doing the right thing, because it will leak.

I work as an inspector for renewable techs and see incorrect systems all the time and as tempting as might be to DIY, it really does need a professional

Regards

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 5:49 PM by Suntanneddude Star rating in Hertfordshire. 117 posts Send private message

LiJohn,

As a UK installer of ST then it sounds like a 'drain back' system you have? As has been suggested stainless steel is best but in the UK for certain types of cylinder you need to be G3 qualified (which I am) otherwise you are talking exploding cylinders, voiding house insurance etc.

Please confirm the system type, even better post a pic & then we can guide you better. But in the main a professional would always be the best route, ideally suitably qualified & with public liability insurance.

SD

Liars & cheats always get found out!

Like 0      
22 Mar 2013 7:05 PM by LiJohn Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Thanks suntanneddude & trowell 1 for your advice, my oh has no intention of doing it himself, as I wouldn't trust him on the roof.
We do want to replace with a stainless steel one as the one we have is not, as it was on the house when we bought it( supplied by the builder) think it is the cheapest system they could find and has never really worked properly. So recommendations for somebody to come and look at our system with a view to replacing it would be much appreciated. We live in Quesada.
Linda

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Swimming Pool Filter - 0 posts
Looking for a Shih Tzu - 3 posts
11 month rental contract - 13 posts
Royal British Legion - 0 posts
Mungry Out - 5 posts
Iberdrola excessive charge - 10 posts
swede trying to locate property in spain, will pay for help - 5 posts
What do I need to know about living in Spain? - 8 posts
Property swaps - 3 posts
VPO problem - can anyone advise please? - 2 posts
Affordable housing - 0 posts
Van hire - 5 posts
Are there any shops in Lo Crispin? - 1 posts
Real Estate Agents - 12 posts
Amenities in Lo Crispin - 7 posts
Doors and door frames - 30 posts
Where Are All The Rental Properties ? - 4 posts
applying for residencia - 2 posts
Share the Load from Spain to the UK Please? - 0 posts
Help Worldwide Asset Disclosure - 0 posts
QNUPS - 5 posts
Costa Del Sol Action Group - 6 posts
Motorcycle licence - 0 posts
Gold Car at MURCIA San Javier Airport - 5 posts
An older UK Prime Minister next time please.? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x