Buying Fish in the Supermarket

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2013 3:13 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi

It is great when you wander around Carrefor in Estepona and see all the lovely fresh fish, but, do you know what to buy?  If you are like us only used to Cod, Haddock, Lemon Sole, Kippers you know the usual, then it is very confusing to know what you might try and we have never dared venture to try any of the fish sold on that section apart from Prawns and they are always far more delicious than at home.  Can anybody help with some advice?  Quite often we BBQ but also we do not mind on occasions cooking inside so please come forward with your suggestions it would be most helpful.

We usually shop in Carrefor or Mercadona either Estepona or Sabinillas.

Hope somebody can help.

Jojan

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 3:41 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Salmonette is good, or dorado. Plus things like pulpo and calamari if you feel a bit more advernturous.. Monkfish is superb as is john dory. There are loads to try. My wife's da was a seafood chef so we have tried all types!!

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 4:09 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

We bought some panga fish, only to be told by a neighbour that he wouldn't touch it as it came from polluted waters in the far east;does anyone have info about this?

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 4:10 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi chrisinspain

Great thank you.  Are all those fish suitable for the BBQ or do they need to be cooked in-doors?

I will put that list in my case for our next visit and let you know how we get on.

Jojan

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 4:26 PM by chrisinspain Star rating in Los Alcazares. 195 posts Send private message

chrisinspain´s avatar

Camposol, panga is not a good fish to eat. You really should avoid it. While a lot of the fish you find in supermarkets is farmed, this particular little beastie is farmed in the polluted waters of places like Vietnam. It's banned in a lot of countries too. Try Lubina (sea bass) or lenguardo (sole) or Dorado (black Bream), in fact anything except panga

Jojan, most of these can be cooked on the BBQ. Try getting a dorado, cutting slices into it, putting slices of lemon or lime into the cuts with sea salt and black peper then putting on the BBQ. Remember to put some lemon wedges in the cavity as well. Of if you dont fancy lemon, try it with fennel which will give it a liquorice note

Air Conditioning, Energy Assessor+Technical Services,

chris@homecomforts.es   

http://www.homecomforts.es/

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 4:45 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Wow makes my mouth water I can feel myself eating it as I sip my glass of wine in the sunshine - I wish, not likely here in England at the moment but will be going over there very shortly so we will try it out.  Thank you.

Jojan

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 6:38 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar
Panga got a bad press after a French tv channel did a documentary on the polluted rivers of the Mekong delta. However, it is now mainly farmed and meets the UK and EU safety standards. It is being used in UK as a substitue for cod by the chippies and is often called river cobbler. I am not particularly keen on it myself and find it a bit tasteless. How anyone can confuse it with cod I don't know except the texture is similar. When our local supermarket gets real cod in, we tend to snap it up as it is quite a luxury nowadays. Panga would have been caught some time ago, frozen, shipped to factories for processing and then flown to Spain. Much the same as the cod and salmon from Norway, I suppose.
The large sardines you can buy here are lovely. Not salty or bitty like the smaller ones you get. Wrap them in foil with some lemon and parsley and stick them on the BBQ, peeling the foil off takes the skin away. Rape fish is also very tasty and get the fishmonger to cut them into fillets then cook the same way as sole. My wife also lightly covers them in breadcrumbs (coat them in flour and then the white of an egg mixed with a little iced water, stirred to make it frothy, coat it and then apply the breadcrumbs) and bake in the oven for about 20 mins.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 6:45 PM by gemini11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi please try the swordfish too, we love it, we bar b q it or better still pan fry it for a few minuites each side with chopped garlic then serve it with loads  of aioli, delicious!

Like 0      
24 Feb 2013 7:06 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Will do thank you.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Living in El Galan - 2 posts
Kristina Szekely Real Estate filing for Bankruptcy - 0 posts
Whats the "Coolest solution" to Air Con - Inverters or Non Inverters - 5 posts
Bacchus on the Oasis estate, Los Alcazares. Great food - 13 posts
Capital Gains Tax - 37 posts
Property tax advice - 4 posts
Wildlife in Axarquia - 0 posts
Falling pound, but a silver lining - 25 posts
A building not conforming to current standards, what does this mean? - 6 posts
Looking for second airconditioning unit. - 3 posts
Lack of Response by Spanish entities. - 1 posts
Car Insurance in Spain - 4 posts
Out of the blue Social Security Bill for 7.5k - 13 posts
Longer term Car Rental on Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Empty Van travelling to Ireland on 21st March 2013 - 0 posts
Has The Classifieds been invaded by nutters? - 2 posts
Do I get my own civil servant ? - 14 posts
EZGO Electric Golf Buggy for Sale - 0 posts
IBI After Selling - 3 posts
Caravan Parking Place Wanted - 0 posts
legal 'larger style'taxis from AlicanteAirport to Torrevieja - 1 posts
British citizens in Spain urged to make correct use of European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) - 10 posts
The UK Mortgage rates might help your Spanish property dream. - 2 posts
Infant Schooling here in Spain - 2 posts
El COTO VERA - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x