travel insurance from spain to usa for short trip

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Feb 2013 4:10 PM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

I am travelling to the USA this month for 4 days and I live in Spain.

Is there a service for Spain similar to insurenadgo.com where I can go online and get travel insurance?

Like 0      
17 Feb 2013 4:45 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Try Staysure insurance-they will cover you if you live in Spain, and will accept many existing conditions.

Like 0      
17 Feb 2013 7:28 PM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

I tried the url at staysure.co.uk/travelinsurance/quote and only gives the option of UK, Isle of Man and Channel Islands.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2013 3:41 AM by neddie Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

...you may like to try  a company called 'squaremouth'.....Google it.

I have used it to get insurance traveling USA to Spain...BUT...many companies do not offer coverage ( that covers 'health' as well as the actual travel aspect ) for people traveling to the US because of the astonomical cost of medical in the country. If you do find it, it is likely to be very expensive.

I also suggest you consult with your current health insurance provider as well as the airline you are traveling on. Some airlines offer it as an 'add on'.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2013 8:01 AM by craigedmonds Star rating in Marbella. 28 posts Send private message

craigedmonds´s avatar

@neddie thanks for that tip.

I went to squaremouth.com which is an insurance comparison web site and filled in the qote form which asked me the kind of questions I would expect and got a few quotes back and was very very impressed as it showed a variety of insurance companies.

For example you can even sort with pre existing medical condition which is essential for me as I am diabetic.

I am only going for 4 days to the US and got a quote back for $12.43 for covering my preexisting condition and then another quote from another company for $48 to cover repatriation and emergency etc.

Like 0      
18 Feb 2013 2:37 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Have you phoned Staysure-I believe they will cover you for any country

Like 0      
18 Feb 2013 3:47 PM by neddie Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

.....Craig.....while i appreciate that you "are only going for 4 days", i am sure that you are aware that anything can happen in 4 days, God forbid.

I do not know if you have been to the US before or are aware of costs of medical in the US ( i consider it the most expensive in the world) but for the sake of a few euros more i personally would make the investment for peace of mind....

For example, i do not know for sure the cost of an emergency heart op but i would put it at a minimum of over $100 K. A few years ago my MIL had a hip transplant done and the op which took 48 minutes cost $60 000..........excluding nursing and rehab after the op !!!!

I hope you have a good and "safe" trip.

Like 0      
19 Feb 2013 10:29 AM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

Craig,

Staysure do insure Spanish residents fro travel anywhere in the wolrd, I have just been looking for insurance for a trip to Egypt...go onto the Staysure site and click the expat tab.

Barry

Like 0      
20 Feb 2013 10:15 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Craig

I have used staysure for travel insurance. If you live in Spain use the "ex-pat" part of the site. I have not tried to claim on the policy yet so I can not let you know how good they are when it is needed. If you do not have many pre-existing medical problems try globelink travel insurance. They might be a little more expensive but I know from experience they are very good at paying up when you make a claim. Although you say you are only travelling for a few days  have a look at an annual policy, if over the year you will be travelling more than twice. That is ANYWHERE. The cost difference between just Europe for most of your trips and including U.S.A. is not that much more and it gives you the peace of mind.

You did not say how old you were which makes a lot difference which company to choose. I have dealt with both companies on line and had no problems

Have a nice trip

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

new taxation - what are the penalties if your overseas assets are under 50K? - 30 posts
Moving On - 9 posts
Pool Fencing Regulations - 9 posts
Tax on property when sold - 16 posts
Bank Account charges - 9 posts
Water bill - 12 posts
Storage Wanted - 0 posts
Jet Boat For Sale, Winter Bargain - 0 posts
Lloyds Bank International - Free Global Travel Insurance..... - 3 posts
Spain gone mad again - 2 posts
post - 7 posts
Where is the best place to buy art and craft materials in bulk? - 0 posts
Where is the best place to buy art and craft materials in bulk? - 2 posts
Has anyone got experience of collecting a dog from Madrid airport? - 14 posts
Buying in Malaga district - 1 posts
LiJohn - 2 posts
points on driving licence - 7 posts
Phone contracts ...ufff - 0 posts
Moving to Malaga area in 10 weeks with dogs - 5 posts
Wanted - LT rental Playa Blanca Lanzarote - 0 posts
TV on the coast - 4 posts
Hello Canary Living - 5 posts
San Javier Jazz Festival 2013 - 3 posts
The Spanish people made a stand ...and were counted - 1 posts
New Permanent residence card - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x