Prescriptions can anyone help

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Dec 2012 3:57 PM by steve&hayley Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi I'm moving to Spain next year and need to take medication when I was on holiday I ran out and purchased over the counter at my local chemist one item pantoprizol it cost me 20e for 1 month
At that rate all the medication would cost me approx 100e a month I am 49 yrs old and also get a war pension etc in uk I get it all free due to being on a military pension is it the same in Spain
Is medication cheaper if a doctor prescribes it or over the counter
Thanks for your help in advance

Steve

Like 0      
30 Dec 2012 4:46 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Sorry it's not free. First you will have to go through the procedures of registering on the foreign residents register, and  will have to fulfil certain criteria before being eligible for free care. Then you will pay 10% ot he cost of your prescriptions. It should be capped at 8 euros if your income is less than 18, ooo euros a year, 18 euros if over 18,000. you must be a tax resident ( and if moving to Spain, you must become one) to claim back excess, but that is another complicated matter. Sorry! It will help you if you do thorough research about moving to Spain-is it a wise move at the moment?

Like 0      
30 Dec 2012 6:08 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

The first thing you need to do is contact the International Pensions Centre at Newcastle.  You can find the phone number on their website or by searching on this forum.  They will tell you what you can transfer to Spain on the S1 form (used to be the E106 and E121 for pensioners and disability allowances but is now all one form).  With this form and your status completed (the pensions centre do it all for you) you can register on the Spanish NHS.

Yes, you do need to become a resident in Spain.  Yes, you do have to pay 10% for the cost of your prescriptions up to a certain limit.  No, you do not have to claim back the cost from all the regions in Spain.  Some have a system whereby your pharmacy record is linked to your financial earnings and, once the cap is reached, no further charges are made.  Some regions, though, still make you pay the full 10% and then expect you to claim back the excess.  The maximum amount is current in Andalucia and our local pharmacist (Valencia region) told us this would be coming in during the next financial year.  

To become a resident is quite easy if you have someone to help you (someone who speaks Spanish for a start).  You now have to prove you will not be a burden on the country and have made provisions for your healthcare and have an income.  If you are given the S1 then this covers the medical part.  Your war pension and forces pension statements will cover the second part.  

Best of luck.  

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Wanted 3-6 month Rental Property - 1 posts
Costructing my European identity further - 1 posts
Spanish House exchange - 5 posts
What happened to the ICP? - 8 posts
Help for a non-EU citizen wanting to spend time in Spain - 0 posts
How much reduction is it customary to ask for on asking price - 28 posts
Robin-Hood-Style Politics -Tax the Rich to feed the Poor - 18 posts
Electricity in Spain, does anyone understand it? - 86 posts
Too late for an accomodation in Madrid for New Eve? - 2 posts
this ought to cheer everyone up - 1 posts
Brummie who moved to Oz seeks renewed contact - 0 posts
Newbie here :) - 1 posts
Long Term Parking at Malaga Airport - 0 posts
Septic tank on old property, what to do - 4 posts
Merry Christmas - 0 posts
Remote controlled cars - 2 posts
Some Help please - 7 posts
Great Spanish Crash - 2 posts
Advice on taking a dog to Spain on a plane??? - 6 posts
Hi :) Alpacas in Spain - 2 posts
Hoja de reclamaciones - 10 posts
NEW CHAPTER FOR 2014 - 8 posts
If you want to make a difference and stop the injustice - 11 posts
Never really sure how to start. Hello is always a good bet... - 5 posts
BBC 1 HD listed on Astra 2F, UK satellite TV, Spain - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x