Living on 1000.euros

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jan 2018 10:22 AM by JojoFonseca Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

hello everyone, good day. I am Jorge from the Philippines, and I'll be studying in San Sebastian this March up to July 2018. I came across this forum when I was searching for monthly expense estimate in Spain, and I have found the info in this thread useful. For a student like me, whose accomodation is already prepaid, would anyone be kind enough to share information on their grocery budget? Thanks.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2018 1:25 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

I've literally just returned from my first shop of the year.  Spent €15 on fruit & veg - from a retail style warehouse where the locals go superb quality and value.  That'll last the 2 of us at least 10 days or so.  Second stop was Mercadonna the local supermarket where we spent €36 which may last a week or less.  I reckon that we (2 of us) spend €300 pcm in all.

I've no idea of food costs in the Philippines, but I reckon on average it's 75% or so of the UK costs.  Fresh fruit, vegetables and wine are comparatively a big saving for us here and we don't buy much in the way of imported goods.

Like 1      
03 Jan 2018 2:57 AM by JojoFonseca Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi Acer, thank you very much for the information. hmm so I assume, since I am just alone, I'll probably be spending 150 euros per month, hweww I just hope that I can really maintain this :D :D

Like 0      
03 Jan 2018 9:13 AM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

Hi JoJo, well I wish it was that easy - probabably the reverse "two can live as cheaply as one".

Mrs Acer is a keen cook and creates excellent meals with the marvellous array of fresh vegetables readily available here.  You have to be very self disciplined to do this work for yourself.  But when you eat out it's a lot cheaper here - eg a good 5 course meal for €10-12 per person.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2018 10:01 AM by JojoFonseca Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

haha yeah I really need to tighten the belt when I come over to San Sebastian, Pais Vasco this March. If I may ask, do you have any info on where can I find part time jobs in Spain over the net? or there is none? I mean such jobs for students can only be found locally? I am really excited for my four month study in San Sebastian. :)

Like 0      
03 Jan 2018 12:54 PM by acer Star rating. 1529 posts Send private message

The unemployment rate here is very high and you may really struggle, particularly if you're not fluent in Spanish. 

I wouldn't know where to start looking - but possibly the touristy areas where there is some casual work in the holiday season for English speakers?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Line Dancing - Costa Tropical Area - 1 posts
Friend's grandmother clips son around ear-hole: a sign of true integration? - 9 posts
Long Term Car Hire - 5 posts
Hi, I'm new here and would like some suggestions. - 19 posts
Storms in Southern Spain - 8 posts
Geoff - 3 posts
geoff - 0 posts
The flash floods - 0 posts
Community Fees by Direct Debit - 2 posts
property ¬banks - 0 posts
Price comparison and service in Spain - 7 posts
Flash Floods in Southern Spain - 4 posts
Spanish Bank Pursuing UK and Irish Assets - 3 posts
Masmovil network - 3 posts
Why go back to the Uk? Is Spain not cheap enough? - 216 posts
U.K. Driving licence. - 36 posts
When the family come to visit - they won't all fit in the car. - 1 posts
Ryanair Flights - 2 posts
Spanish TV in the community - 1 posts
BRITISH DRIVING LICENCE AND RESIDENCE - 0 posts
Exporting ypur Spanish car to the U.K. - 0 posts
Temoporary Structures, What are the rules? - 1 posts
FIAT PUNTO - 1 posts
what happens if you have lost your nie? - 2 posts
BRITTANY FERRIES STRIKE - READ IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING UP TO 28 SEPTEMBER - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 126

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x