Healthy in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 Jul 2012 1:39 PM by HealthyAnnie Star rating in Teulada. 22 posts Send private message

HealthyAnnie´s avatar

Hi

health is a big concern for a lot of people here in Spain, and I would like to hear from you if you have had a good or a bad experience. It doesn't matter if it was through the Spanish national health system or the private system.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2012 8:33 AM by adamconant Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Fix yourself a plate of brown rice and beans with a green vegetable;If convenience and time is also an issue, you're still in luck because fast food chains are catching on. Now they have to list the nutritional information on all of their menu items, and they are offering interesting salads, fruit and whole grain alternatives.Eat, enjoy, then stop. After that point there is no upside. Once you become used to eating less, you will actually enjoy what you are eating even more. Eat real food cooked by gas cookers. If it has ingredients you are unfamiliar with, then you shouldn't eat it absentmindedly.Educate yourself by looking at what you are eating.

Like 0      
15 Jul 2012 3:21 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

We have been lucky so far in not needing to use the Spanish national health system (touch wood!) however many of our friends of a similar age have not been so fortunate.  The good news though is that their experiences have tended to be very positive and they all say they wouldn't have received such good treatment if they had been back in the UK.

My general advice is to adopt the Spanish way of eating and drinking e.g.  if you're out in the evening for a few drinks with friends, always have tapas with your drinks. When you are having wine with a meal, also ask for "agua", especially in the summer months. Make the most of your local market, with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, plus go to your local pescadería and carnicería for fresh fish and meat.  We have noticed that Spanish supermarkets are stocking more ready meals than when we first moved here, but on the whole Spanish families still prepare most meals from scratch. 

Try and get some exercise every day.  We see groups of Spanish women (and men) out for walks in the morning, wearing trainers rather than their usual high heels (the women), so clearly taking it fairly seriously - though not walking so fast that they can't keep up a conversation, judging by the noise!

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Selling my property to my UK business partner - 4 posts
onee off payment for internet - 0 posts
Re-mortgages - 2 posts
Log Burners Help - 17 posts
Corvera Airport - 8 posts
A question for those who are legally minded - 0 posts
Duty Free - 2 posts
Exchange rate if Euro collapses - 72 posts
Help I need a good solicitor!!! - 9 posts
cous cous - 1 posts
pool bits,,,, - 0 posts
Contents of 3 bed apartment for sale urgently - 5 posts
AFOS - 0 posts
Aifos latest con - 7 posts
Community Administrators - 43 posts
Good evening everyone - 7 posts
How do you query a bill/report a possible leak with Aguas de Murcia (EMUASA)? - 8 posts
VAN HIRE TO SPAIN - 5 posts
LONG TERM RENTAL TAXATION - 6 posts
Tarragona???? - 1 posts
Royal Air Forces Association Dinner Dance - 0 posts
Pool problem - 3 posts
moving from builders supply to meters - 0 posts
Gazebo for sale - 1 posts
community pool rules regarding life guards etc - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x