jill

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 May 2012 10:35 AM by Jillingram1 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hi All. I am visiting spain in  a couple of weeks and intend to hire a car, having visited a few hire sites have discovered that i need a credit card to make my booking, i have a visa debit but aware that this is not sufficient can anyone let me know if there are ant rental companies that will take my booking without a credit card.... Much apprieciated 

Like 0      
05 May 2012 10:57 AM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

I think you will find that you have to register a credit card throughout the world to hire a car, be ware you cannot use the card of someone you are travelling with, it has to be the person who is the named driver.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 10:57 AM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

I think you will find that you have to register a credit card throughout the world to hire a car, be ware you cannot use the card of someone you are travelling with, it has to be the person who is the named driver.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 11:07 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Depends where you are going.  Some local hire car companies take a debit card but you have to put down a 3 or 4 hundred euro deposit on it.  Don't think any of the airport hire companies take debit cards although I once paid cash as the company credit card machine didn't work.  That was a one-off, though.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 2:03 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The apparent reason why the rental companies will only take a Credit Card (same in UK) is they can claim any amounts you owe, like traffic fines, damage to the vehicle etc.    On debit Card they would have problems.

I am sure that a person other than the driver could pay on their card. Just like can pay on line for airline tickets for a third party. I have done it for fiends several times, even though I was not travelling.

Like 0      
05 May 2012 2:36 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I always use a Visa debit card for car hire  with Europcar, Hertz etc. I have just made a booking with Holiday Autos to hire a car in France and again used my debit card. I can remember when only credit cards were accepted but not had that problem for a long time. Maybe it's just the smaller local comapnies still doing this.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
05 May 2012 3:21 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

johnzx

Do you often pay out for fiends? Dangerous!

Like 0      
05 May 2012 3:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Not often, but I don't think I have ever refused and so far I have not been let own

Like 0      
05 May 2012 3:51 PM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

Yes of course you can pay for friends tickets etc, but you cannot do this where car hire is concerned due to as a previous post stated it is there to claim for any fines or tickets and it has to be the card of the person liable. Apply for card and use it only for this kind if instance. They will also block around 300e until the end of hire.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Maureen Hoskin - 0 posts
angina medication in spain - 0 posts
Tree Cutting Licence - 0 posts
BMI flight cancellations - 0 posts
BMI BABY - 0 posts
Gibraltar Border - 3 posts
QROPS Pensions - 14 posts
Legal tip 754. You need to buy again in Spain - 10 posts
Stay with the Company you have got - 1 posts
moneycorp - 5 posts
Shocked at the levels of unemployment - 9 posts
Best Internet deal - 4 posts
Internet in Alora - 0 posts
Solar Panels for water heaters - 11 posts
teleast tv problems - 2 posts
Buy a White Car.... - 5 posts
Altea - 5 posts
Portuguese motorway taxes - 4 posts
Solmar near Murcia Airport - 7 posts
Newspapers in Costa Del Sol - 2 posts
You Have Arrived at Heathrow Airport. Now What? - 4 posts
FAST Adsl Costa Del Sol - 9 posts
Insurance - 5 posts
Debt Recovery in Spain - 2 posts
POSTCODE CORVERA AIRPORT ? - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x