Through the Eyes of a Child...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Apr 2012 10:40 AM by Suzie Star rating in England. 121 posts Send private message

Charming article in the Olive Press by Queenie Molly Argent.  And very well written for an 11-year-old:

'WHEN I was four I moved from London to a little village in Andalucia called Zuheros. We just moved to Marbella and I am going to tell you how the two parts of Andalucia are so different….

Zuheros is a very old village and Marbella is posh and new. My house there was very old and was falling down but it was the biggest house I had ever lived in. The house where I live now isn’t as big but very posh.

The cars in Zuheros are small and cheap and the cars in Marbella are big and expensive.

When I first came to Puerto Banus I saw Ferraris, Porsches and other cool cars but in Zuheros there were just Renaults, Seats and boring cars like ours. When me and my brothers see a Ferrari or a Lamborghini we go mad.

My friends in Marbella are from lots of different countries but my friends from Zuheros are all Spanish. A lot of English people don’t speak Spanish here. When I first came to Andalucia I couldn’t say anything. It was scary but I learnt it really quickly.

I could go out on my own in Zuheros. Everybody knew me. Now my mum has to drive me everywhere because there are more funny people around. Also, I was special there because I was the English girl, ‘La Rubia’ with blue eyes but here I’m not so special because there’s lots of other people like that.

It snowed in Zuheros. It never snows here.

My Daddy lives in the village. Now he’s far away. He’s the best thing about Zuheros. And our cat, Bob.

People say Hola in the street in Zuheros, even if they don’t know you. In Marbella if you say Hola to people they ignore you or look at you funny.

We had fruit trees growing in our garden in Zuheros, like figs and pomegranates and lots of walnuts. Now we’ve only got a Bonsai tree and it’s dying.

So, that’s how different two places can be so in Andalucia. Which one do you like best?'

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2012/04/05/opx-writing-competition-winner-queenie-molly-argent-11-and-under/

Like 0      
06 Apr 2012 5:35 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It is , & quite sad  as well.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
08 Apr 2012 1:13 PM by jaldridge Star rating in Manilva. 144 posts Send private message

jaldridge´s avatar

Great article suzie, and like you say, very charming and well written.

I'm not sure if it sad though.  It just reflects the extreme differences between the old and new Spain.

Remember she originally moved from London to Zuheors which although lovely, is a world away from major city life.

I think many expat kids in Spain today grow up as "international children".  Our kids have Spanish, English, German, Italian, etc, friends all communicating in English and Spanish.  I just hope they don't end up as wasters after all of this!!

Justin

EOS Team

Like 0      
08 Apr 2012 10:58 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

I don't know whether it's just me, but the one thing I noticed was "My Daddy lives in the village.  Now he's far away."  That struck me as very sad, and I wondered whether her parents have split up?

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
14 Apr 2012 10:17 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

A very well written article by an 11 year old, well done it was a lovely read.  And she captured the essence of life in these two very different places.  I feel sorry that her parents decided to move to Marbella where this little girl will obviously not thrive so well. 

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
15 Apr 2012 7:13 PM by Stratico Star rating in Los Barrios. 10 posts Send private message

Its not clear why she moved to Marbella but it was obviously a big move and emotional too. Time tebnds to change theway children feel about adpting. Its very tough on kids when parents seperate if reading between the lines indicates this.

The comnplexity of Marbella life will add a huge dimension to the life of any teenager and thisexperience will help her decide in her own adulthood whethewr she is a country girl or a 'jet setter' at heart.

I do hope she can see her Dad often as I know how sad it is to not see my own kids asa much as I would really like.

She's a good writer - 

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Electrician - 1 posts
Murcia Council - 1 posts
Let us know if you come across any bugs on the forum - 13 posts
Thank you Lobin - 1 posts
Corruption in Spain is a Worrisome Issue - 1 posts
Corvera - Change of Ownership - 6 posts
Manilva area - looking for a really good / romantic restaurant - 2 posts
Where do we go to get a Padron in Jerez - 1 posts
What a terrible waste! - 6 posts
golf share wanted Gaudalmina - 2 posts
Where to go on the Costa Del Sol for Lunch - 20 posts
Residecia / I.D - 5 posts
Spanish banks may be forced to seek eurozone bailout - 0 posts
Motor insurance - 0 posts
eva - 0 posts
Hi Pat Powell - 2 posts
What happens to existing BG claims when a Bank is taken over - 2 posts
Car Tax - 9 posts
For Sale - 0 posts
Discounts on water charges - 4 posts
Can anyone advise me on commercial property in Seville? - 0 posts
How can I find suitable premises to start a school? - 0 posts
Directions - 2 posts
LOVE SPAIN - 0 posts
Foreign registered cars - Is there a crackdown going on? - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x