My right for a translator in a Spanish court

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by skadisman Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I recently took a Spanish builder to court because he tried to rip me off for extra work on my house.I am using a Spanish lawyer.I was told an interpreter would be in court.This interpretor only translated from Spanish to English when i was being questioned.The rest of the time i did not know what was going on!Witness's were called who told lies and forged documents produced by the builders lawyer.I was only aware of this after the 'judge' adjourned the case to get a futher important witness into court.This builder signed a contract with me for a fixed sum,no extras unless i personally agreed them before.I was never asked to agree any extra work during the build but before my house was finished i was emailed a list of extras which increased my price by over 50%!The builder has no written proof that i ever agreed to these extras as it did not happen.What are my rights to use an interpretor in court so that im aware of what is being said?.I was not even allowed to speak with my lawyer during this hearing.This all seems very unfair and loaded against me!

Like 0      
20 Mar 2012 9:31 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would think, that just like in UK, if the court provides an interpreter it is for the benefit of the court (so they can communicate with you) not as a personal interpreter. If that is what you require then you should engage one at your own expense.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2012 10:57 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

John is right, you need to find your own interpreter to take to court with you the next time you go.

Best of luck with it all.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
20 Mar 2012 11:16 PM by skadisman Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi guys,thats exactly what i did do!I had my own interpreter there but he was only allowed to speak when i was being questioned.He wasnt allowed to speak to me before or after that so everything else was conducted in Spanish.This seems grossly unfair to me!This case id being conducted by one female judge who seems very biased in favour of the Spanish builder im sueing.Im really worried that i will not get justice.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2012 12:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry but do you really think the proceeds should have all been conducted in English or that every word that everyone said should have been translated for you?  That’s what yiur interpreter should have done. You were in a Spanish court.

If it was reversed and a Spanish guy was in court in UK it would exactly the same.

As for when you can speak or ask questions. In any court you can only do so when it ‘your turn’ to give evidence (same in UK).. Its not an open argument session. You solicitor is the one who can cross examine and if he did not do so then that’s a matter between you and him.

I cannot understand how you can say your interpreter was not allowed to speak to you before or after. He/she was employed by you and thus no one could stop you conversing (except maybe in court if it was distracting to the case).

Overall it appears you do not understand how courts function.

Like 0      
21 Mar 2012 12:27 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Sorry but do you really think the proceeds should have all been conducted in English or that every word that everyone said should have been translated for you?  That’s what yiur interpreter should have done. You were in a Spanish court.

If it was reversed and a Spanish guy was in court in UK it would exactly the same.

As for when you can speak or ask questions. In any court you can only do so when it ‘your turn’ to give evidence (same in UK).. Its not an open argument session. You solicitor is the one who can cross examine and if he did not do so then that’s a matter between you and him.

I cannot understand how you can say your interpreter was not allowed to speak to you before or after. He/she was employed by you and thus no one could stop you conversing (except maybe in court if it was distracting to the case).

Overall it appears you do not understand how courts function.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cocoon Telecom/Arrakis - 1 posts
IT'S APPEARS NOT AS STRAIGHT FORWARD AS THEY SAY, EVEN WITH A LEGAL BANK GUARANTEE!! - 67 posts
Space in Van going to Spain. - 1 posts
UK TV for my holiday home. - 16 posts
General Strike and Flights from UK - 0 posts
Sell my property! - 7 posts
Is it legal? - 4 posts
Asking for help, be more specific - 0 posts
Bad tenants - 21 posts
Wanted - 1 posts
Driving from Santander to Murcia, need Hotel stop over - 6 posts
Help please - 0 posts
SPAM MESSAGES ON EOS BLOG - 1 posts
Holidays in Spain the easy way.... - 21 posts
Hello Everyone! - 0 posts
PRUNA SEVILLE - 2 posts
Refund from Electricity Company - 2 posts
custom agent - 0 posts
water shortages - 4 posts
Costa Blanca Fresh Water Fishing - 3 posts
These True Religion Jeans Online jeans are stone washed with - 1 posts
driving from the uk - 7 posts
Spanish funerals/undertakers info and other cheerful stuff - 22 posts
Place in the sun Live, Earls Court March 30th-April 1st. 2012 - 46 posts
Opinion and advice on foreign currency mortgage - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x