COnsumer Law in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Nov 2011 12:00 AM by Barryjohnwebb Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Can anyone Help me on Consumer Law in Spain

Not for me, I am helping a friends son who purchased an Olympus Uitough 6020 camera in Gibraltar December 2010 goes to 5m waterproof, unfortunately he paid cash for it  and he can't find receipt

They live in Spain his dad is president of our community , he used it in May in a swimming pool, depth 2.6m, he was taken pictures and then it stopped working,  it switches on but everything stays Black, no data saved it hasn’t worked since

Olympus say wont repair without a receipt.

in UK you do not have to provide a receipt under the terms of the Sales of Goods Act 1979.  The Item would be described as Not fit for purpose.and I would sue through the small claims court system because its easy.

I have spoken to the small claims court in Gibraltar, they said because he is a resident of Spain pursue Olympus through the Spanish court system

I am looking for their version of Sales of Goods Act,   Any help or advise gratefully accepted

Barry

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 9:01 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Barry even in the UK one must be able to prove where and when the item was purchased. If you can’t I cannot imagine how you can claim. 

(Not that it has any relevance to this problem, but the UK Sale of Goods Act,  I am pretty certain,  relates to the seller not the manufacture).

Another complication, depending on the cost of the camera, the duty free allowance from Gig , not including cigarettes etc is to the value of £145.  Thus if the camera cost more than that it should have been declared upon entry to Spain and the duty paid on the TOTAL COST, not just anything over the allowance.

Also several people travelling together cannot add their allowances together, i.e. a couple still only have the £145 EACH, so an item costing over £145 must be declared and duty paid.

If it was declared then you should have the customs payment record, that would tend to prove when it was purchased.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 14/11/2011.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 9:49 AM by Barryjohnwebb Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thanks Johnsx

It wsa interesing the  fact about the tax when you declare, i hadnt thought of that problem,  no it was not declared.

you are correct Sales of goods act is seller to purchaser.

if you look google either BERR Sales of goods Act  or BIS Sales of goods Act ( Goverment sites) question 7 on both and Answer

you do not have to provide a receipt.

Example if you return somethinh with St Micheal on it ,it's Prima Facie that the item originated from Marks & Spencer

Example if you buy electrical goods ( something with a serial no and the  CEsymbol it is tracable from seller to manufacturer.

this is EU mandatory on both the manufacture & the distributor. , so you would not have to provide a reciept,

Also there is case law.... if you bought something from Currys is Birmingham, it is deem that it would be pointless you taking it back to Comet in Wolverhampton.

They, Olympus say that the terms of their warranty is you have to have a receipt,

They through the CE code will know the date it wasmade, the date it was shipped from the far east, the day it was shipped to the distributor, who should be able to track when they shipped it to theseller.

There stance in the UK would be untenable through the small claims procedure, because they could be sued for attemted to mitigate their responsiblity, a breach of the unfair term in consumer contacts Act of 1999

If it had been purchased in the UK i would have already issued court proceedings

I'm keen to absorb simular laws in Spain.

The fall down is what you have point out .... sumgled goods ... no dudty paid.... to get sympathy from a court is an uphill battle..

I am verry grateful of you advice.

You and your family have a nice day

Barryjohnwebb

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 10:12 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Barry, I am still at a loss to see why action should be taken in Spain.

If I took a camera to UK which I purchased in Malaysia, I cannot believe that I could go to the UK courts to settle a depute.

Whilst one may be able to prove when the camera was made and shipped, I doubt that it can be established on what date and the shop where that camera was sold. If it can then I would assume the shop could issue a duplicate receipt and the guarantee would be OK.

From one of thes sites you showed:- 

No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 10:35 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Barry

I can't see how you could try and get a resolution to this matter in Spain if you purchased the camera in Gib.

Have you tried taking it back to the shop in Gib?  You never know, they may be willing to help.

However, I think without a receipt you will struggle to get this sorted anywhere.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 10:55 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

I once bought a computer in the US, there was a problem with it in the UK and the maufacturer tried to repair it, couldn't do it so they replaced with an updated model, no quibbles about it although the whole process did take about a month. Some warranties are international but I imagine they would want some proof of purchase to ensure it is still within it's guarantee period.

On my last trip to Spain I bought  a hairdryer, it spluttered and died as soon as I switched it on. I can't find the receipt so haven't even tried to return it. A word of warning though I bought it from Carrefour who apparantly often put faulty goods back on the shelves for re-sale, some friends of mine saw an iron they'd returend back on the shelf, they recognised it by the scorch marks on the base. 

Poppyseed

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 10:58 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Carrefour are really bad at that. You must NEVER buy anything from there where the box has previously been opened...even if it is the last one and you really want it!  It's always guaranteed to have something missing or not working. 

They are very naughty putting used stuff back on the shelves.  I've been caught out by it enough times that I never buy anything there any more.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
14 Nov 2011 1:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Justin,  that is the time to ask for the complaints form.  That will ensure thaye stop doing it.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Vacation later this month. - 2 posts
Paying non residents tax - 8 posts
Burgos and Valencia for buyers/ against Banks in off plan purchases - 0 posts
Car Wanted - 7 posts
Fiestas in Almoradi - 1 posts
Well done England - 4 posts
Live Poker League in Murcia - win a trip to Vegas - 0 posts
Silly old fools - 37 posts
Oil-fired community boilers - 1 posts
Wanted reliable, conscientious, friendly cleaner and key holder for 4 privately owned apartments in Guardamar Del Segura. - 0 posts
Modelo 210 help please - rental income and nuda propriedad - 4 posts
Any air travel sleuths here? - 5 posts
Flights - Riga to Malaga ? - 4 posts
Elec Meter/Iberdrola/Need Reconnected! - La Manga - 4 posts
Unable to reply on a thread - 4 posts
We will Remember them - 0 posts
Not all bad news but there again it is Spain - 5 posts
Old Spanish 3-pin socket - 4 posts
COMMUNITY OF OWNERS LAW IN SPAIN - 6 posts
Van going to England - 0 posts
Storage - 2 posts
Any good tips for getting property back to UK from El Raso, Guardamar? - 4 posts
looking for a bar/resteraunt with food to hire for an awards night in benidorm - 0 posts
Scraping English car in Alicante - 7 posts
tenants rights re bank repossession - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x