Car insurance UK and Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by spanish apartment Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hello, I am new to EOS.  I am considering the possibility of relocating to Spain in February 2012.  My UK car insurance is due for renewal early November 2011 and only covers me for a 30 day trip in the EU.  I am looking for car insurance for cover in both countries so that I don't have to pay for 2 seperate policies. Can anyone advise 

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:24 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

No problem - contact any broker on the coast.

In terms of insurers I would recommend

No. 1 - Zurich

No.2 - Liberty Seguros

Liberty will insure anything whether on UK or ES plates - LHD or RHD etc

Zurich I think will not insure UK plates but will insure RHD on ES plates.

My dislike of Liberty is their claims handling and Zurich is much better and more responsive.

I have policies with both but will switch RHD ES plated car over to Zurich on renewal.

Zurich policy is also much more comprehensive.

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 6:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I don't want to advertise for any particular agents or brokers, so I suggest you shop around.  

As has been said there are a lot of brokers / companies who can fix you up.

I would though, as a result of expensive personal experience steer clear of Knight Insurance Brokers. (I can justify this comment and Knights know that I pass on details of my experience with them and they don't care !!!! )

Like 0      
26 Oct 2011 11:49 PM by spanish apartment Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Thank you for your comments.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2011 12:04 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1114 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Saga Motor Insurance covers unlimited time in Europe...

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
27 Oct 2011 10:58 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

As I spend 2/3 of my time in the UK, I naturally insure my UK reg car there.  I was insured with Zurich, but when I wanted to spend more than 60 consecutive days in Spain, they were very difficult and in spite of my requests for extended stay put me off for so long that I decided to change insurers.  Saga were very helpful and said that as long as I had an address in the UK from which to insure my car I could spend as many consecutive days as I liked in Spain.

M.

Like 0      
27 Oct 2011 12:09 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

In the past I found it expensive in the UK to have an international type car insurance policy (ie could keep car outside UK for as long as I wanted) whereas in Spain it is fairly cheap.

I think it might have been subject to minimum stay in UK. Otherwise most UK policies will I think only go to 90 days outside UK?

You have to read small print and be honest as to what it is you intend doing.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jet 2 - 8 posts
Wooden House- Looking for Mortgage - 14 posts
Hola from windy, boring, unpleasant London - 0 posts
Excessive Gaol Sentences - 0 posts
28 years old, moving to Andalucia - 32 posts
George Soros with an answer? - 0 posts
Accepting another property in return for payments made - 3 posts
Painting of grills - 4 posts
Benirrama - 0 posts
Reputable Rental Management inland Alicante / Vla de Galinerra area ? - 0 posts
Have people had enough now? - 19 posts
GAS BBQ FOR SALE, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 1 posts
SMALL DVD PLAYER, Mijas costa only 12 euros - 0 posts
2 SKIES FOR SALE ONLY 40 EUROS FOR EVERYTHING, MIJAS COSTA - 0 posts
WOODEN COT WITH MATTRESS, MIJAS COSTA ONLY 40 EUROS - 0 posts
What if the owner of an embargoed car cannot pay? - 5 posts
google corvera airport - 26 posts
Car parchase issues - 0 posts
best bank - 20 posts
RE registration oo EU Citizens Registry - 2 posts
Plastic bags for airport - 9 posts
Is there a Web site with Historical Weather Stats - 0 posts
Three free legal guides by CostaLuz - 0 posts
Return to the UK? Never - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x