Who is the President

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Oct 2011 12:00 AM by arne56 Star rating in La Cañada and Uppsal.... 192 posts Send private message

arne56´s avatar

HPA states:
18.3. The president and the secretary shall sign the minutes at the end of the meeting or within the
following ten days. …

I would think that "The President" is the actual president at the time of the signing of minutes (usually months after the meeting).

Our Administrator claimed that it is the former President if he was chairman of the AGM or the new one if the Administrator chaired the meeting.

(In my native land ,Sweden, we always apoint a chairman  and secretary  for the meeting, normaly not the President of the orgaisation. We also appoint two Reviewers who also act as vote counters.

Minutes are signed by Chairman of the meeting, Secretary and the two Reviewers.)

This message was last edited by arne56 on 06/10/2011.

Better listen to a breaking string than newer draw a bow.

Like 0      
06 Oct 2011 11:50 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

When I was president of our community, I had to sign the minutes of the last meeting for which I was still president, so yes, your original comment I think is correct.

Although saying that, not every community is run 100% by the book

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 9:09 AM by arne56 Star rating in La Cañada and Uppsal.... 192 posts Send private message

arne56´s avatar

Thanks Justin, but I think you misunderstood me.

The President when the minutes are signed is the one elected at the AGM. HPL maybe assume that the new president chair the meeting from the moment he was elected.

Maybe both presidents can sign, that solves the problem and we would get some better review of the minutes.

"Although saying that, not every community is run 100% by the book"

In my experience it is less than 50%.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 10:42 AM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

The person who has to sign the minutes is the person who presided over the meeting even though he/she might no longer be President when the minutes are signed. The logic of this is that this person's job during the meeting was to preside, that is run the meeting and make sure the agenda is followed and all items resolved and correctly recorded by the Secretary.

If a new President is elected (normally at the end of the meeting) this person might not have followed events closely enough to co-sign with the secretary. If the new President is elected at the start and takes over presiding the meeting, then it is the new President the one that should sign the minutes. In this event, ideally both Presidents would sign.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 11:23 AM by arne56 Star rating in La Cañada and Uppsal.... 192 posts Send private message

arne56´s avatar

"The person who has to sign the minutes is the person who presided over the meeting"

Not that easy. If the Administrator act as chaiman in the meeting (rather common) and is also is secretary, none of the Presidents would sign.

Agree that anyone who sign must have followed the meeting, reviwed the minutes and take responsibility that everything is right.

There are many views of this, but I try to find out how HPA should be interpreted.

(In my opinion, no officer of the community should be chairman nor secretary to avoid any impact of the meeting or its minutes).

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 11:28 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Bu chariman do you mean president?  I don't think a meeting can be held without the president present.  In fact, a community doesn't need an administrator, but it does need, by law, a president.

Minutes must always be signed by the person who was president at the time of the meeting.  If a new president is elected half way through a meeting then I would assume the outgoing and incoming presidents would both need to sign the minutes.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 12:00 PM by arne56 Star rating in La Cañada and Uppsal.... 192 posts Send private message

arne56´s avatar

"Bu chariman do you mean president? "

No, I mean anyone who is the chairman of the meeting.

Agree, Justin. The more that check the minutes, the better.

"I don't think a meeting can be held without the president present."

If a EGM is called by 25% of the owners and the President refuse to attend....

Actually I can not find anything in HPA about who should chair the meeting.

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 4:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

In my experience, the HPA is woefully inadequate in a country that is so completely anarchic, lazy, apathetic and lacking in basic common sense. The HPA is, on most matters, about as ambiguous as the Bible, and I have yet to find an administrator, let alone a layman member of a community, or who has the faintest idea about how to organise anything more than a competition to see who can make the most noise. We would be far better off conducting all community meetings in ancient Norse and having the minutes signed by the community's favourite feral cat.

Apologies for the negative nature of the post, but this president has just spent a rather stressful morning with our wonderfully incompetent administrator, resolving almost nothing. Not a happy camper.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Oct 2011 5:51 PM by arne56 Star rating in La Cañada and Uppsal.... 192 posts Send private message

arne56´s avatar

Why do you still have an Administrator? I started a new thred on this subject::

"Without administrator"

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 5:38 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Anyone have any thoughts on what the HPA says about who chairs an EGM called by over 25% of voting coefficient in which the main item on the agenda is the removal of the current President and to elect a replacement?

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long term 3 bed rental quesada, dona pepa - 1 posts
IKEA Job Interview - 2 posts
Telephone contract in Owner's or Tenant's name? - 4 posts
CAMPER VAN FOR SALE - 0 posts
Thinking of buying in Escoznar - 2 posts
furniture - 0 posts
Outdoor furniture repair/restoration - 1 posts
Address on Driving Licence - 8 posts
thanks iam looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom longterm rentals in fuengirola price 450€ or 500€ - 1 posts
That brilliant video - 2 posts
PROPERTY BUYING AND SELLING PROCESS - 1 posts
Poppie - 0 posts
Parking -Jose Rico Perez Stadium, Alicante - 0 posts
Pressure blasting - 0 posts
Motorhome for sale - 1 posts
looking for a longterm rental in fuengirola - 1 posts
hi everybody - 3 posts
skiing - 4 posts
Cheaper electricity with Iberdrola - 5 posts
Buying bank reposession in Spain - 7 posts
Hi Everyone - 2 posts
Right here waiting for YOU! - 0 posts
"Giving away" a property - 8 posts
Costa Rojo - 0 posts
Cambank Auction /Takeover - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x