Address on Driving Licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
05 Oct 2011 00:00 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message


I Have just seen this on 'traffico web site'

Important : It is your responsibilty to have your correct address on the licence. If you do not , the licence is invalid and you will not be covered by insurance companies


That being so, it would seem it affects all those who have a UK  licence but live in Spain.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 14:19 by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

05 Oct 2011 14:35 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message


Sorry it was not DGT but :--


who were 'quoting'

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 14:43 by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

The Dgt website applies to Spanish nationals & resident foreigners with spanish licences. It does not apply to resident foreigners with home country licences ( & they should have a medical certificate to ensure that the licence is valid )

If you have a foreign licence & commit an offence the Dgt will create a 'virtual' licence with a link to your foreign licence & Nie number to subtract points. The same as the DVLa do in the UK , except that they add points.


Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 16:16 by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message


What is a correct address?

eg - the address on my licence is what I regard as my ultimate home address and that has never changed.

These days people move from one place to the next and live a few months here and a few month there etc

So as long as you receive post at a given address - is that a valid address?

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 16:30 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message

Hi Faro.


I don't know what the criteria is in the Spanish legal system to establish what is one's legal, correct, address,  However, I would think that in normal circumstances  one's address is where they live and where their principle home is.   In most circumstances that is not that difficult to establish.   The Spanish for many years seem to have had little difficulty in knowing where they must register on the empadron.

Of course if one wants enter the realms of fantasy and 'what if' as some posters seem to delight in doing, then it could become really, but quite unnecessarily,  complicated.



This message was last edited by johnzx on 05/10/2011.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 16:43 by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I would not wish to exchange my licence and change my address.

When I re-registered my car my driving licence was the only document I had for the proof of address required to obtain a baja consular (affidavit).

In fact I still regard the address on my licence as my home address and it is an address at which I receive post.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 17:18 by GuyT Star rating. 497 posts Send private message

In the EU, we have a house in UK, a finca in Spain & an apartment in France. We divide our time fairly equally between the three, but also like to travel a lot. All three countries say  we can't have one of their driving licences unless we spend more than 6 months a year in their country. Similarly, one can't get insurance if one tells the insurance company one is not permanently resident - 6 months a year - in their country. All I can do is declare one of the homes to be my residence....and get on with life. 


This message was last edited by GuyT on 05/10/2011.

Like 0      
05 Oct 2011 17:19 by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5247 posts Send private message

If you think that an address where you just receive post (an accommodation address) is your address, your place of residence, the place where you normally reside, well that's fine, but don't expect most people / authorities to agree with you.
Just in passing:-  
Certainly, as far as Spain is concerned, if you spend 183 days or more in one year in Spain , you are tax resident in Spain and legally obliged to pay tax on (almost all) your world wide assets and income.
I just looked on the web. 
UK HM Customs say:-    
Individuals receiving supplies in a private capacity are treated as belonging in the country where they have their usual place of residence. An individual has only one usual place of residence at any point in time. Individuals are normally resident in the country where they have set up home with their family and are in full-time employment. They are not resident in a country they are only visiting as a tourist.
Motoring in Spain :-
A foreign EU resident is someone who lives more than 6 months or 183 days a year in Spain and Spain is therefore their official place of residence.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

thanks iam looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom longterm rentals in fuengirola price 450€ or 500€ - 1 posts
That brilliant video - 2 posts
Poppie - 0 posts
Parking -Jose Rico Perez Stadium, Alicante - 0 posts
Pressure blasting - 0 posts
Motorhome for sale - 1 posts
looking for a longterm rental in fuengirola - 1 posts
hi everybody - 3 posts
skiing - 4 posts
Cheaper electricity with Iberdrola - 5 posts
Buying bank reposession in Spain - 7 posts
Hi Everyone - 2 posts
Right here waiting for YOU! - 0 posts
"Giving away" a property - 8 posts
Costa Rojo - 0 posts
Cambank Auction /Takeover - 4 posts
Mercadona milk - 6 posts
Renters - 2 posts
La Cala de Mijas doctor - 5 posts
leather 3 piece suite for sale and a complete bedroom set - 0 posts
Viva la UK - 17 posts
Mercedes SL WANTED or similar - 1 posts
Help needed in Mojacar Almeria - 3 posts
FT - forecast of further 15% drop in Spanish property prices - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x