Advice on Correct Procedure, Please

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by Rosa Fay Star rating in Edinburgh. 31 posts Send private message

Can anyone tell me what is the correct procedure in Spain if your former agent (whom you don't trust!) tells you that your bank details have been given "by mistake" to someone you don't know and is now demanding that you return the money to this person's bank account?

We have identified the deposit in question in our account but believe it to be (by mistake) from a former tenant who owes us money in unpaid bills and stolen property.

Many thanks.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 2:33 PM by cbrammeld Star rating. 172 posts Send private message

Tell them you will gladly return the money when the previous tenant pays the unpaid bills and returns stolen property.

Looks like the agent gave over your details by mistake, probably in place of the new landlord and trying to cover their ar*e

Perhaps out of the goodness of their hearts they have  paid this money to compensate you for damages you suffered. If its money you are due do not hand it back. If its more than you are entitled to the balance should be paid back.

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 3:44 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It depends on the circumstances, but had I been the one who made the payment, and it was deposited by a genuine mistake, then I probably would make a denuncia to recover the money.  

I would suggest you either return the money or take legal advice, from a profesional.  You may well be committing a criminal offence

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 3:51 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Can't your bank trace where the money came from? If they can trace it to be from someone who owes you money then you keep it, if it is from someone else then return it.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 4:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would suggest you either return the money or take legal advice. You may well be committing a criminal offence.

Sorry if I appear pedantic, but if for example your bank or anyone else (in the UK) by mistake credits your account, if you use the money you commit theft. There are many cases on record. I do not know but would suspect that in Spain it is the same.

In this case the poster sdays "We have identified the deposit in question in our account but believe it to be (by mistake).............. "  That just about amounts to an admission that they know they are acting illegally.

I repeat, I suggest you take PROFESSIONAL legal advice if you decide not to return it.  

Like 0      
26 Aug 2011 4:27 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

There is no criminal offence merely a possible error in the banking system which is not your responsiblity

If someone pays money into your account by mistake they merely ask the recipient bank to return it to the account from which came and you cannot stop them. They do not require your permission to do this.

so if someone believes the money went into your account the proceedure is they inform their bank and if the bank agrees they have a case they will recall the money obviously if it is an attempt to swindle they wont be too keen to go to the bank and do this. so tell the agent or whoever it was to report the matter to their bank as this is the correct proceedure and you are not invoved in the matter

I have done this on several occasions usually after buying over the internet and never delivered. the banks are quite used to doing this as it seems it happens all the time.

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 26/08/2011.

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 26/08/2011.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2011 12:33 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Smythie

Quote  "There is no criminal offence merely a possible error in the banking system which is not your responsiblity"

I did say:-    

if you use the money you commit theft

In this case the Rosa  Fay  implied she would keep the money as she was owed money for 'unpaid bills and rent'.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2011 1:32 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

I didnt suggest she use the money merely how the situation should be resolved, which was the answer to her question

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 27/08/2011.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2011 4:42 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Rosa,

Are you on line with your banking?  I have two bank account's, so when I go on line for a statement it tells me where the money has come from.

If not then ask your bank if they can give you the information you require.   

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

COME DINE WITH ME COSTA DEL SOL TONIGHT - 4 posts
Serious Legal Problems - 23 posts
Looking for english/American school in Murcia/Alicante Region - 7 posts
Boundary Walls - 13 posts
humax freesat. - 23 posts
Back from Marbella trip - 6 posts
Embalse de Istan - 2 posts
JustCats Cattery - 6 posts
Is the region of Murcia typical Spain? - 16 posts
Ford Mustang '06 (US import) for sale in Estepona area - 0 posts
PATRIMONIO TAX is back !!!! - 38 posts
Do you know Ronald Cooper? - 0 posts
Social Services help for disabled - 0 posts
samsung tv power cable - 43 posts
7500kg Truck for sale - 0 posts
Buying on Camposol - 5 posts
Car hire companies BASED in Alicante airport - 7 posts
Page in English - Cuerpo Nacional de Policía - 14 posts
Help - 1 posts
Can you recommend an Estate Agent on the CBN ? - 16 posts
Cleaning Materials - 1 posts
Gas vs. Electricity - 1 posts
Driving from Yorkshire to Spain with dog friendly accomodation enroute - 8 posts
Mum from UK living near Estepona requires friends :) - 1 posts
University of Murcia - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x