Frozen bread

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Does anyone know if anyone actually buys and consumes the expensive frozen English sliced loaves they sell in Iceland?

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 9:41 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Heavens, Janie!  That frozen bread sounds appalling. (I-ve never been in Iceland-  the store). 

There is such great bread to be had in Spain.

Patricia

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 9:50 PM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Once again a majority of Brits will only buy english products  at a silly price.On our urbanisation we also have a shop that sell frozen british bread,I think it works out at about €2 a loaf,we buy ours from a spanish supermarket next door for 65c,the only good think about the british bread are the slices are larger so they do make better sandwiches in a toasted sandwhich maker.

These are probably the same people who pay €3.00 for branded tomatoe ketchup,when the spanish equivelent is about 85c,and then they moan that they cannot afford to live here. i do admit to liking my oxo cubes as I do find the spanish eqiuvelent very salty.

We also have an english butcher well used by the brits,but the same cuts of meat are available in Mercadona for a third of the price and taste just as good.But at the end of the day I suppose its peoples choice what they buy and we are lucky we have choices.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 10:03 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Patricia Iceland is a must avoid we bought alleged lambs liver my partner profesional chef for 30 years was shocked it was ox liver!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Complaints have been lodged

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 12/08/2011.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 10:06 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Absolutely moggy this must be why they say too expensive to live here. WE avoid brit shops like the plague and are now totally immersed in the med diet and feel so much better for it and bread still hot from oven from super.

Oh can you tell me what a fish and chip shop is?

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 10:07 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

How horrible, Janie. 

Definitely Iceland is a must avoid.

Patricia

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 11:10 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Deffo Patricia glad to save you from a fate worse than death

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 2:01 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Sorry, but what a snobby thread.

We enjoy all the local bread and rolls available in Spain and of course at a fantastic price.

However there is nothing better to get the ‘Roberts ‘ soft white sliced loaf out of the freezer  on a Sunday morning and fill two slices with 3 or 4 rashers of the equally yumee Iceland lean smoked bacon with a large dollop of Daddies brown source.

s

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 10:43 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Whats brown source?

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 11:09 AM by moggy Star rating. 58 posts Send private message

Hi Team gb,I dont think we intended it to be a snoppy thread,I for one carnt eat my bacon sandwhich with out my brown sauce.I think it was just an observation that people,and I can speak from experiance on this one,complain that they can not afford to live here.When I ask why they say food is to expensive,then they tell me that will only eat Kellogs Corn flakes or Lurpark butter.i think we were just pointing out that you can get that you can get the spanish equivelent of most food,certainly did not meen to upset any one.

and I do shop in Iceland as I like some of there products.It is good that we have shops to suit all tastes.

maureen.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 11:13 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Oddly Kellogs corn flakes are cheaper in Eroski than in the UK

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 11:48 AM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We do buy the Roberts bread as well but only when it is on special offer at our local store (currently 1.58 a loaf) which is great for toasted sandwiches.  Avoid Iceland.  

Normally buy the Spanish bread but it has got a bit of a sweet taste (like American bread).  That's the only bit of Brit stuff we do buy.  

Oh, much prefer the Knorr stock cubes to the Oxo ones and you can get the lower salt ones as well.  Those "posh" stock sachets you get advertised by top chefs in UK are available here for about half the UK price.  Also the Knorr chicken stock cubes here are excellent if you mix with a bit of olive oil and smear over chicken or pork chops (just remembered, pork chops from our "international" supermarket with the rind on at 3.98 a kilo are brilliiant - another UK vice I forgot about).

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 3:08 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

Definitely not a "snobby" thread, Moggy.  Just exchanging views on different tastes.

I had never heard of Iceland until a few years ago  I was back in the U.K. when a friend asked me for a lift to the local town.  She told me the next day she had to give a birthday party for one of her kids and therefore she had to go to Iceland to get some stuff.  Believe it or not I thought Iceland might be one of those party shops where you buy fun things, like streamers, balloons etc. LOL.   To my surprise when I picked her up she had about twelve bags laden with frozen food.

Anyhow, she asked me if I might not like to call in on the party the next day, which I did.  It was then I found out that all the snacks laid on full and plenty on the table for the children had come from Iceland.  She invited me to try some, and hand on heart let me say I have never in my life tasted anything so horrible.   Well, taste is hardly the word, because the stuff was tasteless. 

I'm just saying that was my experience of Iceland food, not to be repeated

Patricia

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 3:13 PM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

It seems Iceland is not doing too well

Perhaps instead of spending so much on advertising they should get some edible stuff in.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 5:37 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi Maureen

I think it was just an observation that people,and I can speak from experiance on this one,complain that they can not afford to live here.When I ask why they say food is to expensive,then they tell me that will only eat Kellogs Corn flakes or Lurpark butter.i think we were just pointing out that you can get that you can get the spanish equivelent of most food,certainly did not meen to upset any one

I would have to agree with your words above, maybe I'm a snob because I wouldn't darken thier door when we lived back in the UK. Iceland, as reported  many times on here is not Iceland but a company called Overseas Supermarkets SL they hold a full franchise to distribute Iceland products throughout Spain and the Canary Islands.

Much of the stock in the grocery section actually comes in from Waitrose, and they use local Spanish suppliers for fruit and veg and soft drinks, going back to the Roberts bread its shipped and stored frozen for the best results, personally I like a change from the Spanish bagette that turns into a murder weapon if not eaten within five hours

Janie 2003

I would agree that much of the Iceland brand frozen stuff, the likes of chicken pies, processed fish and meat  etc are truly horrible, but they are without doubt a very sucessful company with plans to open many more stores on the coast, they are actively looking for new sites and are opening their first store in Portugal soon. 

s

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 7:35 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Team GB, You took the words out of my mouth, was about to post that.   Personally Roy likes the waitrose cereal and it is quite cheap 2euros for a large bag of fruit and fibre, well it was will find out soon.

Also we do buy the bread now and again it is great for toasted sandwiches and as someone said bacon ones.

Have to agree with you about the Spanish bagette, lovely fresh but not so good when left, although a lot of our neighbour's freeze these as well and turn it into garlic bread.

Sometimes they have yoghurts that I can never seem to find anywhere else that I buy. 

But it is up to the individual what they like and dislike, so that is why people shop around.

Patricia

Like 0      
14 Aug 2011 10:32 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

15 Aug 2011 1:07 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

All bread can make you fatBEWARE

VOLKEN BROT BEST

This message was last edited by janie2003 on 15/08/2011.

Like 0      
15 Aug 2011 9:20 AM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

janie 2003,

no, I do not buy the frozen Roberts bread from Iceland, I do not enjoy the taste too much!

No, I travel 5 km. on the N332, to buy Jacksons English sliced frozen bread, at 1.98 a go. A bacon (from Iceland) sandwich, is shangrila!!!

Spanish Baguettes I love, but the regular bread contains sugar, so I feel I need to pour custard over it??

pilgrim

Like 0      
15 Aug 2011 9:46 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

I WONDER WHERE YOU BUY YOUR SPANISH BREAD FROM OURS SURE DOESNT TASTE OF SUGAR MY PARTNER A PROFESIONAL CHEF HATES SUGAR SO I EXPECT THEY WOULD NOTE THE SLIGHTEST TRACE APPARENTLY BRITISH BREAD CONTAINS QUITE A LOT OF, OH SO GOOD FOR YOU, SALT

OH AND I NEVER MENTIONED ROBERTS BREAD ONLY THE CONCEPT OF IT

ANYWAY SEEMS MY QUESTION IS ANSWERED FOLK DO BUY IT  EAT AND ENJOY IT THANKS ALL

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

British old age pensioners living in Spain - 17 posts
Clothing Business For Sale - 0 posts
Tae Kwon Do & Piano Lessons - Murcia region - 0 posts
Los Alcazares - schooling - 1 posts
Jet2 Glasgow to Murcia 2012 - 2 posts
Is It The Corrupt System or Misguided Naive Buyers ?? - 24 posts
Food Price Comparison Site For Spain? - 4 posts
shoes for driving in spain?? - 21 posts
LFO's - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet Charges. - 1 posts
British old age pensions - 11 posts
Wrong numbers - 1 posts
Motorway - 0 posts
Local Politics - Getting Involved - 2 posts
Eating out recommendations in Arroyo de la Miel - 1 posts
chipmunk in Nuevo Paraje Moriana - 0 posts
WANTED: long term rental wanted in quesada/torrevieja area from september 2011 - 2 posts
All Spanish Should Learn To Speak Fluent English - 23 posts
ITV Homes From Hell - 9 August 2011 - 33 posts
schools in rojales or quesada for 5 years old - 4 posts
Big light show 11-13th August - 4 posts
Thinking of coming back out soon for a week with my kids ? - 0 posts
Disco Equipment for sale - 0 posts
Security for vacant properties - 2 posts
Supermarket Purchases - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 28

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x