Advice urgently needed-English trailer in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jul 2011 12:00 AM by grifftheriff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi - I am planning to tow my trailer from UK to the Costa Del Sol with musical equipment in eg.drums,amplifiers etc.I will be there for about 2 weeks- using it 4 or 5 times then towing it back to UK.There will be 4 other people travelling(the band) and the vehicle is a Landrover Discovery.

The trailer is a twin wheeled box trailer net weight 500kg-laden weight 1400kg.The loaded weight will not be anywhere near this maximum although I suspect will be a little over 750kg.

What I cant seem to get a definite answer about from anywhere on the net is-will I be legal driving this trailer/car combination or do I need insurance,MOT and tax for the trailer.If so-where do I get the MOT done ? Uk or Spain ? Also how strict are they on these laws-I`ve been driving in Spain a couple of months of the year for 20 years and never ever been stopped,but it`s sods law for me to be stopped this time!

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 12:44 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Is the Discovery English on UK plates? If so there's no problem. Assuming it's legal in England it will be legal here in Spain for your 2 week trip. Think of all the holiday makers with huge caravans trolling around Europ all summer!

We have an English Disco with Spanish plates, and a trailer of similar size (I think!) it's bed is 3 mts long and twin wheeled. We've been stopped twice with the trailer and no comment was made. Not been able to find out if our trailer needs it's own plates and ITV now that the car is on Spanish plates. But as I said we've had no problem so far.

Your cars insurance should cover the trailer, best to check re. contents though.

Hope this helps, have a good trip.

Regards, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 1:20 PM by grifftheriff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hi........thanks for your reply.The Disco is on UK plates and my insurance covers me to tow the trailer but I`ve read that the trailer needs it`s own policy for Spanish laws as well as it`s own road tax and ITV.My trailer is 4 m in length including towbar and has a gross laden weight of 1400kg.

To be honest,I`m worried about it-although as I said before,I`ve never ever been stopped by the police out there-so I`m thinking of taking my van instead.Was doing the car/trailer thing so I would have a car to get around in whilst there,but I`ll have to make do with the van.

Thanks again.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 1:28 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

If it's an UK vehicle towing a UK trailer your car policy covers the trailer.

Febe. now you've got your vehicle on spanish plates you want to look at getting the trailer sorted out. One day you will be asked for the trailer papers & if you haven't got any it's a 500€ fine , less 50% for paying inside 20 days !

You will only be able to register a UK trailer if it is EC homologated , ( look on the identification plate. the serial number has to start with EC* ) & has the chassis number stamped on the left hand chassis rail when standing at the ball-hitch looking back at the trailer. In letters & numbers at least 8mm high !

If it's 750kgs then all you need is an itv complete with ficha technica, about 200€'s. If it's 3500kgs then it needs the itv plus registration with it's own red number plate plus road tax , paid at the town hall the same as your car & seperate insurance.

This message was last edited by guslopez on 26/07/2011.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2011 1:58 PM by grifftheriff Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Sorry Guslopez-to clarify,when you say if the trailer is 750kg it will only need ITV and fincha technica-do you mean if it is up to 750kg? Mine is more than this but is under 3500.At a guess I would think it is around 900kg loaded.

Does this mean I need only the ITV and fincha technica? If so,do I just go to the Town Hall and pay the 200euros when I get there or does the trailer need some kind of MOT test?

What paperwork will I need for this? Also-if I don`t get the documents until I get to my destination,how will I be covered for the drive down through Spain?

sorry to be asking so much but it`s all new to me

Like 0      
27 Jul 2011 8:40 AM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

grifftheriff . None of that applies to you , it was to assist Febe , as you have a UK registered vehicle & trailer. Yours is legal in the Uk & you are on a holiday & that's all that counts. It's only applicxable if you are resident here & need to re-register a foreign trailer.

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
07 Jan 2013 9:47 PM by Mentalcal Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hiya!!

I've got a UK VW camper to pick up from Coin in Spain and want to pick it up on a trailer using my UK car to tow it... I've no idea how to go about it?? :(

Many Thanks!!

Cal

X

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

AGM voting rights - 16 posts
Digital Freeview box - Condado De Alhama - 3 posts
Trains Malaga to Fuengirola. - 1 posts
Statue - 2 posts
Costaluz Lawyers. Just saying thanks seems so inadequate !! - 54 posts
Ga Appliance Inspections - 12 posts
So much for promised PSOE transparency - 1 posts
Account under review - 2 posts
How easy is it to change Architects? - 3 posts
Cost of Gates - 2 posts
Re-location advice very much appreciated, thank you. - 1 posts
Who is this woman? - 11 posts
Online Publishing. Any Suggestions? - 2 posts
Adios CAM! - 3 posts
Villa wanted for Xmas and New Year - 2 posts
Bankinter in alicante are very unhelpfull, just want your money - 3 posts
When did it all go wrong for some - 195 posts
Health Hazard - sewage and robery! - 2 posts
Double bedroom for couple in Marbella - 4 posts
Shares in a property - 3 posts
Cheapest transfer from Alicante airport to Denia area - 4 posts
Bancaja to refund deposits paid by the buyers of AUGIMAR for the developments torresblancas, forum y barlovento - 11 posts
Deposits paid by purchasers of the development Castalla International, covered by a banesto's generic guarantee - 3 posts
Generic Guarantee for 3 Molinos resort undercovered - 5 posts
HOME WANTED FOR A 6 WEEK OLD KITTEN - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x