Hard times for Brit expats and visitors...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Jul 2011 9:01 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Foxbat, you are spot on again. I do think any country/organization would have to go a long way to beat the EU in corruption, non accountabilty, inefficiency, arrogance and immorality. Every time I think of the EU and all those MEP's and commissioners my blood just boils............. and please don't even say the name Tony Blair.......But nothing will change until the serfs make it happen.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
06 Jul 2011 9:53 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrups absolutely."  (Lord Acton 1834-1902).

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it" (Pitt the elder 1776-1788).

We cannot all be equal in all things. Honest men and women tend to hang back from power because they do not yearn for it, but there are those in all nations and all levels of society who will with good intent seek power, but become corrupted by it. It is human nature.  There are some systems that have control mechanisms, but it often takes too long for them to function.  In some countries, there is no such mechanism that works the levers of the law to return matters to equilibrium.  An example of the former is the UK, the latter, Spain, but even in the UK the maintenance of law regularly spins out of control because someone in charge looses their moral sense to the opiate of power (usually accompanied by money).

The great leveller is revolution, but in every regime chage I have ever seen or heard of there are those waiting for a vacuum enabling them to step up and grasp the reins of powerin the name of the people.  You end up with a despot.  It's the way of the world, there is no stopping corruption because it permeates at all levels through society, only by the ballot box can you attempt to control it.  Spain is still so close to dictatorship that neither the people, nor the politicians have grown used to the rule of law.  Give them a century or so and a reasonable accountable system might evolve.

Like 0      
06 Jul 2011 10:22 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

An excellent posting, Xetog.  Your first quote just took the words out of my mouth.

You say:

"...there is no stopping corruption because it permeates at all levels through society, only by the ballot box can you attempt to control it.  "

Yes.  The ballot box.

Of course there are people with good intentions who seek a position of power with the initial objective of righting wrongs of changing the system.    But unfortunately it seems that everyone has a price.

P

Like 0      
07 Jul 2011 10:16 AM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

That's exactly why we need effective and transparent regulation with inbuilt external audit checks and an equally effective justice system to back up the regulation . All too often the procedures are in place without due care to check that they are enforced. A classic case is Spain in this regard.

This message was last edited by ads on 07/07/2011.

Like 0      
07 Jul 2011 7:53 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

I think that we are getting a bit off the subject of this thread, but I cannot resist quoting a 35 year old history book that I am reading at the monment:

"In the year AD410 Britain ceased to be a Roman colony and became an independent state.  The inhabitants of the offshore island - or rather the lowlands that we now call England - shook off the shackles of a vast European system, which tied it and took charge of their own destinies."

Clearly we have done it before, let's do it again!

Like 0      
07 Jul 2011 9:03 PM by Piltonian Star rating in Madrid. 36 posts Send private message

Erm.. Xetog, is that really the precedent you want to cite?

There may be arguments against leaving the EU, but suggesting it would reduce us from an advanced civilization to living in mud-huts, and usher in centuries of war, pestilence and marauding Scandinavians is probably a bit harsh.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 9:53 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

If that's what it takes!  But no, just leave us as we were to get on with our own lives free from the malignant influences that now control us.

My last word on this thread.

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 9:47 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

We're all accidental soldiers in the army of life.  ~Terri Guillemets

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied.  ~Douglas Adams

Like 0      
08 Jul 2011 10:19 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." - Plato 348 BC

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 3 posts
A RESTAURATEUR’S EYE ON FORUMS. - 16 posts
House for rent in uk??? - 0 posts
Taxis from Malaga to Fuengirola - 3 posts
Hello - 1 posts
Message for Justin - 13 posts
Give up or Fight - 0 posts
ornge speaking - 0 posts
Comment Only - 6 posts
International Art and Crafts Market in Duquesa Castle - 0 posts
Privately owned van going to England 13th July, will consider any legal goods as part load for reasonable contribution to fuel costs - 1 posts
Missing person: Mary-Anne Goossens - FOUND ALIVE!! - 7 posts
Portable Aircon Unit - 2 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) - a new association - 4 posts
POPPIE (Protection of Property Purchased in Europe) – a new association - 0 posts
Hooray, I have got my deposit back - Thanks to Costaluz Lawyers - 9 posts
palmera properties - 2 posts
Are total block to view hedges around communal pools legal - 11 posts
Babysitter wanted! - 2 posts
Clients care job in Algeciras - 0 posts
Which Telephone Company In Spain??? - 4 posts
Property Help - 1 posts
Article on Newbie Ex-pats - 2 posts
Urbanisations & abandoned vehicles - 6 posts
85 euros one way - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x