3 or 6 months are you considered a resident in spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
08 May 2011 00:00 by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

i'm so confused.

My boyfriend is coming out to live with me in Spain and he is highly confused as there are different opinions of how long you have before you have to become a resident, residencia.

We're both reading that some say you're considered a resident after a 3 month stay so should sign up

Some say you're considered a tax resident of spain after 3 months but not a resident until 6 months?

Can someone shed any light on this as tbh we dont want him signing up for residency until we know we're can live with eachother first otherwise signing up to residency/tax resident could be a huge waste of time he has to retrn to the uk.

Also could someone please explain the differencer between tax resident and proper full blown resident?


Like 0      
08 May 2011 12:50 by difi Star rating in Roda Golf . 146 posts Send private message

We have lived in Spain for two years now.  We were told to (and did) take out Residencia after 3 months but could not become Tax Residents (ie. make an application under the UK /Spain dual taxation agreement) until we had been Resident in Spain for 6 months in one calendar year.  As we became Residents in the month of August we had to wait until the end of June of the following year before we met that requirement. 

Incidentally, once you start living in Spain, regardless of residency, you have to go along to your local town hall and apply for your "Padron" (Empadronamiento) which is usually free or costs about 1€ and which you are then supposed to carry with you at all times. This is supposed to be renewed annually.

Like 0      
08 May 2011 20:59 by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4509 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Don't confuse the poor girl any more. You should not be signing on the padrón if you are not a resident, and there's no reason to carry it around with you - it does not constitute proof of ID.

Have a look at this (official) site and download the regulations for EU citizens from the link on the right hand side of the page.



"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason"

Mark Twain




Like 0      
08 May 2011 21:05 by delza Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

thanks guys, helpful as ever!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Legal costs - 1 posts
morgage? - 9 posts
info - 2 posts
england-spain - 0 posts
NEWBI - 3 posts
Interest free mortgage - 2 posts
Over 65 and exemption from capital Gains? - 7 posts
Internet y World Wide Web - 0 posts
freesat & post code - 5 posts
Ryanair! What counts? - 2 posts
Halifax Bank - 3 posts
112 from uk mobile? - 4 posts
Legality of Committee members - 2 posts
Cheap flights to UK from Malaga?? - 9 posts
Neil Kemp - Fuengirola - 0 posts
road show in europe - 0 posts
Winter flights into/out of Murcia - 10 posts
Made it to spain at last. - 2 posts
Costs for selling a property through Estate Agents - 2 posts
International Family Day - 0 posts
Alicante to Valencia train - 4 posts
replacing a stolen escatura - 1 posts
Tarjeta de transporte - 2 posts
tenerife tax authorities - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x