Meter readings when selling a property

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2011 12:00 AM by angelafield Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I live in the UK and have recently sold my property in Spain.  I am due to complete the transaction in May and my lawyer tells me there is no need for me to take meter readings for the electricity (Iberdrola) or water (Aquagest).  Is this correct?  I pay my bills by Direct Debit but as they are usually estimated I don't see how I can cancel these before I know the final payment.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Like 0      
04 May 2011 12:48 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

Good lawyers will make arrangements to have the meters read a few days before the deal completes at the notary, your main safeguard is that the buyers will also want to be sure that they are only paying from  the time of completion and thier lawyer should be on the case to have the meter readings and get the utilities changed to the new names to ensure uninterrupted supply.

Your final payment for the utilities should be itemised on your completion statement, so if your buyer has signed a private purchase contract I would cancel your direct debits now

s

Like 0      
04 May 2011 12:29 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

Definitely cancel the direct debits immediately.  Any bills following completion at the notary become the liability of the new owner - which is why he's going to want to take metre readings - which your lawyer should check to ensure he's not overstating by lots.

Like 0      
04 May 2011 9:46 PM by angelafield Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks very much for the responses.  It never ceases to amaze me how inefficient the lawyers in Spain appear to be (or maybe I have been unlucky on the two occasions I have needed their services)...!!!  Some of agents are no better either and it's like pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer from them!

I was in the property business for many years in the UK so luckily I know when to query something or be a little suspicious if I feel I have been mis-informed, but I feel so sorry for those poor souls who are at the mercy of these people who have such a laid back attitude to what is probably the biggest purchase a person will make.

I have never understood why Spain doesn't have a similar check system to that in the UK whereby the lawyer (or agent) provides both the buyers and sellers with a Sales Brief that lists  what each party need to do to ensure a smooth transaction. 

Oh well, once I have completed my sale I wont be buying another but I am very grateful to the individuals who responded very quickly to my question..!!

Thank you

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

fs - patio - garen furniture. - 0 posts
Sale of Spanish car - 1 posts
tea rooms - 0 posts
removal of palm tree ASAP - 8 posts
An adventure and an opportunity of a lifetime - 0 posts
Tempted by Tarifa? - 16 posts
RHD Renualt scenic in black 7 seater looking for lhd swap - 1 posts
English sky HD plus newest box for sale plus remote and viewing card - 2 posts
For sale i phone 4 UNLOCKED 16gb - 1 posts
UK Road Tax and Spain - 39 posts
wanted corner style sofa bed - 0 posts
Spanish Government comes to London - 10 posts
EOS in IE9 - 38 posts
moving where? - 2 posts
House or Apartment required near Malaga Airport - 4 posts
Fire safety in appartments - 0 posts
Iceland is in Vera - 5 posts
Banks - 1 posts
Picture format in HD - 3 posts
Router problem - 3 posts
Had enough now! - 17 posts
Student finance support UK - 0 posts
Those affected by Instant Acess Properties - 0 posts
Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan! - 4 posts
Auberge, Benijofar - 10 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x