Want to remortgage my property and need advice

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by girlinspain Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I have my existing mortgage with La Caixa but looking to remortgage and increase the mortgage and I need to know if there are any good deals on with banks at the moment as I am not keen on paying the excessive fees that banks expect you to pay when you remortgage. Thanks in advance

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 7:51 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I am not expert and others will no doubt advise but my understanding is that it is nearly always prohibitively expensive to remortgage with a different bank.  This is because you will get notary and Property Registry fees to cancel the existing mortgage; plus notary and Property Registry fees on the new mortgage; plus AJD (stamp duty) on the full amount of the new mortgage - not just the increase - this varies from region to region but in Andalucia I believe it is 1% but 1% of the amount borrowed plus accumulated interest and other stuff so that it ends up at about 2% of the amount borrowed.  Then you can add on valuer's fees plus the new bank's gestor.  So, a shedload of money.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 9:14 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

and don't forget opening and closing bank commission which could be 1% for new mortagge and 0.5% on old mortgage.

also not easy to get any form of equity release and especially if money is leaving Spain etc

very hard to get mortgages at all now unless you tick all the boxes and if you did you would probably not need a mortgage or re-mortgage!

But JEK is right the cost is extremely high and very few do it. It is just another example of inflexibility and Spanish procedure at work!

Becareful not to pay any initial fees to the cowboy mortgage brokers to process your application. Many ask for EUR500 and then just come back and say sorry can't get you a mortgage.

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 9:54 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

And, of course, if you're using a lawyer to advise you .......................................  €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 12:39 AM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

It is possible to remortgage in Spain (we're mortgage brokers) with very few costs, but it would be subject to a maximum loan to value of 60% and there would need to be a legitimate reason. Such a reason could be debt consolidation, divorce or even buying another property but any transaction will be highly scrutinised by the lender.

And in response to Faro, our fees are based solely on success. The only fees our clients pay before signing are valuation fees charged by lenders, not us.......

This message was last edited by vantage on 09/07/2011.

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 9:17 AM by costas Star rating in Estepona. 33 posts Send private message

Coincidentally I've started blogging about my experience of remortgaging, message me for details, or read my only 2 posts so far, interesting one coming up today: http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/remortgage-refinance.aspx

Like 0      
16 Feb 2011 5:00 PM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Hi girlinspain,

As has already been mentioned changing your mortgage lender by way of re mortgage is a very costly exercise, at approx 5%. There are a couple of lenders who offer to pay some or all of the fees and these are to a max of 65% LTV or 60% LTV respectively. There is also the option of up to 5 years on Interest Only for the 60% deal.  If you are looking to re mortgage coupled  with equity release (and I know of no lender who will allow equity release for debt consolidation now) - for the 60% option - fees are applicable to the amount over and above the mortgage balance being transferred.

As well as re mortgage costs being high, low valuations compared to when a property was bought are the main bugbear when looking to change lender.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 7:48 AM by claudiabrian Star rating in London. 1 posts Send private message

When your mortgage deal comes to an end, you may want to shop around for a new product. This is known as a remortgage. Doing nothing and staying with your current lender after the end of the agreed term of your Mortgage, say two or three years, will mean that you revert to the lenders Standard Variable Rate (SVR). If this rate is relatively attractive, you may not want to bother remortgaging. And if you have not built up much equity in your property, you may not be able to remortgage, as many lenders now insist on a minimum of 20%. But if you have a lot of equity in your property, you may well be able to remortgage onto a more attractive interest rate.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 4:52 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Halifax Spain had a good offer on remortgages recently. We went through the application process but were turned down despite having a very healthy income at the time. Deutschebank are also keen to take on remortgages so you could try them.

Like 0      
09 Jul 2011 6:56 PM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

The Lloys International (nee Halifax) deal has steadily deteriorated over the last few years, with the differential being added getting higher and higher.

Right now, no-one really wants to lend unless it is cast iron lending.......

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 11:37 AM by sharonw Star rating in Coin, Malaga. 281 posts Send private message

sharonw´s avatar

Banks are still willing to lend - it does depend on client profile, income vs debt etc. but another important factor is valuation and this is the main bug bear for people looking to remortgage by changing lender.

Regards

Sharon

sharon@tmasspain.com

www.themortgageservicegroup.com

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 12:30 PM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

As I said, 'unless it is cast iron lending'.

We are getting cases turned down for the most trivial of reasons, including one who was rejected because the applicant was single.  Those that are lending are mostly doing 60% (with one notable exception) meaning that purchasers have to put down 40% plus costs, which many don't have.

Like 0      
10 Jul 2011 12:30 PM by vantage Star rating in Murcia. 43 posts Send private message

vantage´s avatar

As I said, 'unless it is cast iron lending'.

We are getting cases turned down for the most trivial of reasons, including one who was rejected because the applicant was single.  Those that are lending are mostly doing 60% (with one notable exception) meaning that purchasers have to put down 40% plus costs, which many don't have.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

BANK CHARGES - 1 posts
Oil or Gas Central Heating system - 0 posts
Moving To Spain - 1 posts
Private Health Care Plan? - 1 posts
Community Benchmarking - 1 posts
bank guarantees nothing - 2 posts
Legal Situation -Menus in Spanish??? - 12 posts
HANDHELD GPS WANTED - 6 posts
hand held gps - 0 posts
Find the Man in the coffee beans - 18 posts
Iberswitch - 53 posts
Car Hire - 0 posts
posting a picture - 4 posts
La Concha Living estate agency Puerto Banus, Marbella - 0 posts
External blinds in Murcia - 0 posts
BALCONY SAFETY NETS - 1 posts
Hi Im new around here - do you know................ - 4 posts
ladders - 0 posts
High Quality furniture for sale in EV, Murcia - 0 posts
Presidents voting without AGM Permission - 0 posts
Leather Headboards x2 Singles - 0 posts
Toys- Mama's & Papa's Push Chair for Sale - 0 posts
El Presidente whats it like to live there? - 3 posts
Easter - 2 posts
capital gains tax - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 13

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x