Moving To Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 Feb 2011 12:00 AM by ramchip Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

My wife and I plus our 16 year old son are moving to Spain in September. We are all excited but perhaps just a little terrfied. This forum has been a great source of advice and given us some great advice. We have decided not to jump straight in and purchase a property and will be renting for at least the first 6 months but maybe even longer.

There are though a few things we need to sort out so I hope you guys can offer me further advice.

Firstly can I open a Spanish bank account before I move to Spain?

What are the best Spanish banks?

Do I need to get NIEs straight away?

Our property has an internet connection but as I run an online business I would like a back up internet connection. What is the best option in regards to a wireless dongle? What should I expect to pay a month for this?

What is the area of Torre de la Horodada like?

Thanks!

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 1:39 PM by Valentinaradu Star rating. 71 posts Send private message

Hi again,

I hope I can help you also on this thread. I already replied for the Health care. We were in your same situation in Dec. 2009 when we moved here.

1. Bank: I opened a non resident account in Sept. 2009 while on holiday and after, when we got our NIEs, changed it to a resident one. We went with La Caixa, I am very happy with them. I don´t know if you can do it online, before coming here, but if not it takes very little to have it done in a branch.

2. I think La Caixa and Sabadell are quite good, don´t have any other experience with others.

3. NIEs. We have done them in the first days of being here. It took us 1 hour in our area, Estepona and it could not have been more simple. You fill in a form, show your passport, pay a  tax, etc and done . You need an NIE if you want a contract for phones, etc. at least that was our case.  Also, after that I recomend you go and register for the Padron in your local town hall.

4. Internet dongle. We had both options: contract and pay as you go. Both can be useless if your area does not get good coverage., For a pay as you go one you pay for the initial modem (from 30 euros to 80 euros) and after 3-4 euros/day of usage. The monthly payment contract can go up to 49 euros depending on the speed (Movistar for example). If you want it only for back-up I suggest the pay as you go one....avoid the monthly costs in case you don´t use it.

Hope this helped

Cheers,

Valentina

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Private Health Care Plan? - 1 posts
Community Benchmarking - 1 posts
bank guarantees nothing - 2 posts
Legal Situation -Menus in Spanish??? - 12 posts
HANDHELD GPS WANTED - 6 posts
hand held gps - 0 posts
Find the Man in the coffee beans - 18 posts
Iberswitch - 53 posts
Car Hire - 0 posts
posting a picture - 4 posts
La Concha Living estate agency Puerto Banus, Marbella - 0 posts
External blinds in Murcia - 0 posts
BALCONY SAFETY NETS - 1 posts
Hi Im new around here - do you know................ - 4 posts
ladders - 0 posts
High Quality furniture for sale in EV, Murcia - 0 posts
Presidents voting without AGM Permission - 0 posts
Leather Headboards x2 Singles - 0 posts
Toys- Mama's & Papa's Push Chair for Sale - 0 posts
El Presidente whats it like to live there? - 3 posts
Easter - 2 posts
capital gains tax - 11 posts
renewing residencias - 0 posts
how much do you need to live on in spain - 40 posts
THE PETITION THROW-BACK - 110 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x