english mortgage or spanish

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
15 May 2007 12:00 AM by nickid Star rating in west midlands brough.... 74 posts Send private message

please help we are in the process of thinking about buying in spain (inspection trip to be arranged) but I am confused about mortgages. our english mortgage has about 15 years left and we think our english property is worth about 100 thousand pounds more than we paid. Do people remortgage their own property or take money out of the property so we than then pay for the spanish property in cash. It would seem easier to just have 1 mortgage. Also where do you find independant solicitors, are they in spain or england ? We are very new to the whole spanish property situation so any advice would be useful Thank you.

Like 0      
15 May 2007 5:09 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
16 May 2007 7:40 AM by nickid Star rating in west midlands brough.... 74 posts Send private message

thank you for replying, we are hoping to buy around Murcia, we did originally want to go to Vera area however people are saying that rental may not be as good as it closes down in the winter and it may be too quiet an area for our children as they get older(they are 12 and 15 years

Like 0      
16 May 2007 9:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
nickid

Did you hear the interview I did with Smiley about mortgages?  Just click the "Interviews" link in the menu above to listen to it.  It's long but very interesting.

Or, download the free ebook version of the interview if you want a hard copy:

Mortgages ebook

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
16 May 2007 11:38 AM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi nickid,

I have just sold to clients who asked me the same question

I do not pretend to be an expert but i can give you their example.

They wanted to release £100,000 from their UK home to purchase a property in Spain,they did this by taking an interest only mortgage on their home for the full amount here,this kept their payments down and allowed them to purchase without selling,i think they were offered about 5.5% from an UK high street lender.

They had a lot of equity in their property in the UK allowing them to finance the purchase here.

They seemed pleased with the offer and payment terms they received,if i could offer advise it would be speak to your bank before you come to Spain and then at least you will know the budget that is affordable and you are comfortable with.

Smiley is the expert on Mortgages here and maybe he could offer advice on the Spanish side of things as he obviously knows the best deals avaliable.

Remember,Smiley for mortgages,Georgia for buying property!!!!

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
17 May 2007 11:26 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

Hi Nickid - to be honest the decision really should lie with you and your own personal circumstances. Without doubt arranging an equity release on your UK property is very straightforward but a lot depends on where you want the debt and long term plans for perhaps moving to Spain. Generally Eurozone rates are lower than in the UK and for long term tax planning it can prove more advantageous to have a mortgage charged on the property in Spain. Ensure that you consider all your options and make sure you are doing things right at the outset as it can be costly and much more complicated to arrange an equity release on Spanish property after completion. Loan to value ratios are generally lower than for a purchase. If you need more specific information then I need more specifics and we would need to have a chat for 45 minutes or so.

Rgds

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

From Pauline & Steve - 0 posts
U.K.benefits in Spain. - 2 posts
just joined! - 3 posts
Buenos dias from Manilva - 0 posts
Rental Management - 5 posts
Wills - 2 posts
Building and contents insurance - 23 posts
good rental agents/ key holders etc Estepona - 1 posts
Out 1st December. R U ? - 0 posts
Alta Entinas - 5 posts
Venta Garcia - Casares Costa, CDS - 8 posts
sad news - 4 posts
new to this forum - 6 posts
new to this forum - 0 posts
My new baby - 10 posts
Reliable rental agents/key holders in Playa Flamenca - 6 posts
Furnishing a property at El Soto - 1 posts
Ford Mondeo for sale - 1 posts
How do I advertise selling uk car - 3 posts
NEW Murcia Airport - 95 posts
Car rental - 62 posts
Dont Panic - 69 posts
Paths on our complex - 1 posts
Missing Posting - Janice (Jeansis) - 3 posts
Maddie - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x