Prickly pear Cacti

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Hi does anyone have advice on how to get rid of prickly pear cacti? I have recently bought a property near Pinoso and the the lower garden is overgrown with large cacti and I haven`t a clue how to get rid of them. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
01 Nov 2010 9:40 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Can't help you out with removing it but have you eaten all of the prickly pears yet?? They are very nice

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Nov 2010 10:08 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Hi Justin, I haven`t tried eating them, they dont look very appealing to me!

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
01 Nov 2010 1:50 PM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

The only way to get rid of them altogether is to dig them out, every root has to be removed, and make sure you collect every 'paddle' as well, otherwise they to, will root! I've been there, done that, and it is a pain. Unlike Justin I am not a fan of the fruit...

Be warned, make sure that you have close weave clothing on, and a thick pair of gloves, when dealing with them, otherwise you will be picking the spines out of your body for weeks!

Like 0      
01 Nov 2010 9:34 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

And the spines are virtually invisible!!

Many years ago, I decided in my ignorance to pick some wild fruit, on my first visit to this lovely country. WOW!! What an idiot I was.

Very uncomfortable pain in both my hands for several days and there seemed to be nothing I could do to stop the pain and discomfort.

So, please be aware and careful.

pilgrim

Like 0      
01 Nov 2010 11:34 PM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your replies. Think I might need a man with a JCB, as they are about 6 feet tall, don`t fancy my chances with the invisible spines.

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
02 Nov 2010 2:43 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Lots about this subject on the net (google 'prickly pear cactus removal' ) although most of it seems to be about removal problems in Texas; most do seem to be in favour of mechanical removal using JCB's or something similar. There are chemical removal agents available in America but these need a licence and the spraying instructions are very specific to avoid the problems of contamination with ground water aquifers.

Just a though but maybe your local Town Hall Planning dept may have some ideas... their Parks and Gardens or equivalent peole must have come across this problem before...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
02 Nov 2010 10:37 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Hi Foxbat, I have googled the prickly pear cacti problem. You are right, it mostly concerns Texas, hence my post to see if anyone had any information locally. As my house is in the campo I dont want to go down the chemical route due to the danger of contaminating the ground water aquifers. Looks like a JCB is the only answer. Many thanks.

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      
02 Nov 2010 5:44 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Hi Joanniemac

When are you next over here?  We can ask around and see if anybody else in the area has had similar problems, to see what they did.  We could also ask in the ayuntamiento, if other people think that would be any good?

Cheers.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
03 Nov 2010 1:25 AM by joanniemac Star rating. 241 posts Send private message

Hi Sue, I`m over mid January. If you find out anything, you can let me know.

Thoroughly enjoyed our day out in Jumilla. Looking forwards to seeing you & John in the New Year.

Cheers Joanniemac

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car in Murcia or perhaps not - 4 posts
Books exchange - 0 posts
Dickmanns rent a car - 62 posts
I thought I might reintroduce myself - since I have been pretty quite. - 1 posts
best place to advertise rental property - 2 posts
WALK UP RIO SECO AT CAMPOVERDE - 0 posts
Would like to meet new people - 1 posts
Autonomo mine field - 0 posts
Don't forget clocks go back on Sunday - 11 posts
GEOCACHING - 1 posts
UK Driving licence replacement - 6 posts
Holiday Lets versus Long Term Tenancy - 6 posts
Malaga Airport - Current Parking situation - 4 posts
Is it a good time to buy? - 29 posts
Retirement Villages - 10 posts
To dream the impossible dream.... - 9 posts
Free P&P - delivery to Spain from UK - 12 posts
Full Tank Of Petrol Con - 4 posts
Stealing Community Electricity inWinter - 6 posts
Calling all ex-pat market traders...... - 14 posts
Proffessional liabilities of conveyancers - 33 posts
Lost Luggage - 1 posts
International van insurance nightmare - 6 posts
Even more jokes - 3 posts
Even more jokes - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x