Apparently high catastral value

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Aug 2010 12:00 AM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

I have a 3 bed apartment, 248 sq m built, including large terraces and all on one level, that was purchased new 3 years ago. My catastral value for 2009 was 162,400 euros, not sure how much it has increased this year yet. A similar apartment next door carries a similar valuation.
On a different phase of the same development that was completed at the same time, there are duplex 3 bed apartments, approximately 235 sq m built, that have catastral values around 85,000 euros. I have been seriously concerned about this because the high catastral value affects not only my taxes, but potentially the value of the property.
My conveyancing lawyer – who agreed that my valuation was extraordinarily high - made initial enquiries at the town hall and got nowhere and after first being positive, eventually told me that it would cost about 5,000 euros to employ a technician and raise an appeal and that it was not worth it.
A Spanish lawyer living in one of the more reasonably assessed duplex apartments has told me it would be too expensive to appeal.
My requests to owners of these duplex apartments to have sight of their valuation letters have met with negative responses. They all seem to have misplaced them. Perhaps they may be concerned that if I appeal using their valuations as evidence, they may end up with increased catastral values.
Is there anything I can do about this at reasonable cost? If so, what and to whom do I go for help?

Like 0      
17 Aug 2010 6:23 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 689 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi Plexx - it does seem unfair and I wonder if they treat a duplex differently from a property all on one level? 

Is there no way you can ask the town hall for the basis of their assessment?  There must surely be some kind of formula that they work from when they are initially making a valuation.  I know transparency is not a particular feature of Spanish town halls but there must be some sort of appeals system, without having to employ a technician or lawyer.

Hopefully someone on the forum can help.

Like 0      
17 Aug 2010 9:02 PM by plexx Star rating in Hertfordshire & Elvi.... 131 posts Send private message

plexx´s avatar

Hi Claire,
I am told that  only sq m counts, no matter duplex or single level. As for the formula, I can only compare with those that I consider equitable - but, as I have said, they won't show me their valuations. The town hall pointed my lawyer to a website to explain the formula - in Spanish, of course.
Both lawyers I spoke with said it would be necessary to employ a technician to make a valuation to be put to the court. It is kind of heads they win, tails I lose, as far as I can see right now.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Open Countryside - 0 posts
BEWARE OF BMIBABY AT MALAGA - 4 posts
Various Taxes and charges at Roda Golf for a Town House - 1 posts
Where can I buy this Spanish product? - 5 posts
Mosquitoes in Iznajar - 8 posts
Bath Repairs – Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Spanish Car for Sale - Valencia area - 0 posts
EMAUS CHILDREN´S HOME, ELCHE - 6 posts
Hi - 2 posts
full size snooker table - 0 posts
The Dead Building Trade in Spain - 7 posts
Instant Access Savings Account - 2 posts
Supermarket information - 1 posts
moveing to spain - 6 posts
Villajoyosa - 0 posts
gillie - 2 posts
San Fulgencio - 4 posts
Flight delayed? - 1 posts
A Chance to Dance Flamenco - 0 posts
And you thought the Guardia Civil Trafficos were bad.... - 1 posts
Suma - 2 posts
What a Wonderful World! - 5 posts
Route planner website - 3 posts
Helping in a bar - legal or not? - 2 posts
We must be mad… (Wallet-fattening exercise) - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x