Limescale Problems

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Jun 2010 12:00 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Hi Everyone

Yes I can almost feel you breathing down my neck saying oh no not again, but yes these limescale problems do exist.  We have just bought a brand new washing machine (and they are not cheap) so how do we keep it in tip top condition.  Over here in a hard water area you would use Calgon in your wash but what do you use in Spain?  Looking along the supermarket shelves can be such a headache when you don't understand what the packets say, so, what do you use?  Your answers might save us having to carry Calgon out with this on our next visit.

Actually what do you put in your dishwasher that maybe another problem if we don't take care of it?

In fact WHAT DO YOU USE?  The washing machine, the dishwasher, those drip marks that spoil the look of the shower screen, all of those things that we take for granted here in England.  Somebody somewhere must have the answer.

Please help with these boring problems if you can.  Ooops better get back to the TV the match has just started again, speak to you soon.

Jojan

Like 0      
25 Jun 2010 10:51 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You can buy Calgon easily here (Lidl's sell it) or Mercadona sell their equivalent, Antical half the price.

The engineer who installed my Siemens washer/dryer told me not to pay out for Calgon, he said to use a handful of soda crystals.

35 posts in Water problems (hard deposits) HELP NEEDED

This message was last edited by morerosado on 25/06/2010.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 9:51 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Thank you Morerosado that is interesting, there is a Lidl and Mercadona close to where we are so that is helpful. Probably try the soda crystals as well.

Anyone out there know anything about fitting something on your water inlet pipes to soften the water?

Jojan

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 9:53 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Jojan, look in Water problems (hard deposits) HELP NEEDED We covered that topic in there.

In the UK we have ScaleWizard fitted but in the UK we CAN get to our inlet pipe, not so here in Spain. It's all behind tiled walls.

As I said look in above thread.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 26/06/2010.

Like 0      
26 Jun 2010 10:07 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

Thank you for your advice, we are out there in a few days so we will investigate and see exactly where the water pipes are, once again many thanks.

Jojan

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 10:48 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

JoJan,

Don't forget you also need to look after your water boiler, as limescale can build up in there, and the boiler needs to be cleaned periodically.

This is why we purchased inexpensive water treatment systems from Leroy Merlin's.

We purchased three different individual units:

First one is for Sediment and fitted just after our water meter.

Second is for limescale and is fitted just after the first.

Third is for taste and smell, but also includes an antibacterial filter, and this is fitted under the kitchen sink.

We had a builder fit the first two, as we had to chase out the area below the meter, and fit a new, lockable cupboard to house the first two filters. Then I fitted the third unit myself under the sink, connecting it up to the cold water tap in the kitchen with flexi pipes, which we purchased from a local builders merchants called Big Mat, that way we have pure drinking water.

This way we save on the filters for the third unit, as why have drinking water going to your boiler, washing machine, etc.

I can't remember which one cost what, but the prices were under 50€ each, but they came complete with a filter cartridge, which is easy to replace, We also purchased some replacement cartridges, and they ranged from 17€ to 28€, and they last about a year each.

The builder charged us 180€ for all the work they did, which included the supply and install of the lockable cabinet.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 27/06/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
27 Jun 2010 6:06 PM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

TechNoApe

Thank you so much, we are actually in your area so where is the local builders merchant Big Mat located we will follow that up?

We need to investigate at what point does our water go into the apartment because we don't have a meter but there must be a stop tap and so we would need to put these treatment systems after the stop tap presumably.  (Our water is paid for as part of the community fees so hence no meter).

Do you have a number for your builder please in case we find we need to use him.

Once again thank you for your help.

Jojan

Like 0      
28 Jun 2010 1:09 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

JoJan,

Big Mat is in Sabinillas and that's were I purchased the flexi pipes. There are loads of different lengths and sizes, so make sure you get the right one.

From the main roundabout, go up the hill and past the Repsol Garage on your left.

Big Mat is on the left just before Super Sol on the right.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
29 Jun 2010 8:06 AM by jojan Star rating. 200 posts Send private message

TechNoApe

Thank you for that we will go and have a look.  Did you have a number for your builder?

Jojan

Like 0      
29 Jun 2010 8:34 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Will send you a PM with number.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Area Information Reqired - 4 posts
Administrators in the Costa Blanca & Costa Calida - 0 posts
econorent - 7 posts
Which car hire is best? - 8 posts
information please - 0 posts
JOB FOR HOUSE IN SPAIN THIS SUMMER - 0 posts
Changes to terms and conditions of mortgage - 5 posts
christmas flights from glasgow - 0 posts
christmas flights from glasgow - 1 posts
Rental Contract in Spanish (1 week stay) - 5 posts
Voting at AGM - 1 posts
WHAT HAPPENED TO A THREAD? - 1 posts
sale contract - 7 posts
Light fixtures in Quesada - 7 posts
Watch UK tv on your laptop!! - 14 posts
Has work stopped on your development...Are you trying to recover your deposit? - 9 posts
y Boletín de Instalación de Agua - 1 posts
Plumber > y Boletín de Instalación de Agua costs 700 € ??? - 2 posts
drive to spain - 1 posts
Who's going to win the World Cup - 47 posts
Agents Required - 0 posts
Friend or foe - 5 posts
Denuncia fine for no insurance - 3 posts
Chinese Bazaars (Prices?) - 5 posts
Transferring money to my Spanish bank - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x