The Great Siesta Debate

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2010 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Below is an extract from an article in National Geographic (full article here) discussing the Spanish Siesta. So, is it time for Spain to ditch the tradition, or should it remain sacrosanct? Discuss.....

"....consider the siesta. The timing of the traditional siesta corresponds to a natural post-lunch dip in our circadian rhythms, and studies have shown that people who catnap are generally more productive and may even enjoy lower risk of death from heart disease. It is the Spanish who have made the siesta famous. Unfortunately, Spaniards no longer live close enough to work to go home and nap. Instead some use the afternoon break to go out for long lunches with friends and colleagues. Having spent two hours at lunch, Spanish workers then cannot finish work until seven or eight. But even then they don't always go home. They go out for drinks or dinner instead. (Go to a Spanish disco at midnight and you're likely to be dancing alone; their prime-time TV shows are just ending.)

Lately the Spanish have begun to take the prob­lem of sleep deprivation seriously. The police now question drivers in serious accidents about how long they slept the night before, and the government has recently mandated shorter hours for its employees to try to get them home earlier.

What has motivated the Spanish to take action against sleepiness is not so much their accident rate—historically among the highest in western Europe—as their flat productivity. The Spanish spend more time at work and their productivity is less than most of their European neighbors. "It's one thing to log hours, another to get something done," Ignacio Buqueras y Bach, a 68-year-old businessman who has spearheaded the attempt to get Spaniards to bed earlier, lectured his countrymen in a Madrid newspaper recently.

"Every once in a while we have to close our eyes," Buqueras told me. "We're not machines."

In 2006 a commission formed by Buqueras to change things became part of the Spanish government. Two years later I had occasion to go to one of the commission's meetings in the annex to the Congreso de los Diputados, the lower house of Spain's legislative branch. An assortment of modern Spanish grandees testified to the problem. They spoke of accidents by tired workers, Spanish women doubly exhausted by long work hours and household duties, and small children deprived of their proper ten to twelve hours of sleep. Members were urged to contact the television networks to see if they would consider moving prime time earlier.

Buqueras kept the meeting moving, exhorting the speakers to adhere to a "telegraphic brevity." But the lights were low and the room warm. In the audience a few participants' heads began to slump to their chests, then pop back up as they resisted, then their eyes closed more fully, their programs lowering to their laps, as they began to pay back their nation's sleep debt". 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 May 2010 8:38 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

I think they should ditch the siesta time.

Having a child in school here is a megga pain in the butt end. School times are, 9 untill 1, then 3 untill 5. Shops close and open when they feel like it. I find it very hard to get any thing much done, I know I am going to have to stop very soon to get Nicks to or from school and sort out what we are going to have for dinner before the shops close.

I do like it that every thing is closed a  on sunday.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
17 May 2010 3:09 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Personally, I think siesta is a great idea...being in places like Sevilla, Cordoba or Granada during a typical summer the climate is not amenable to working between the hours of 12 and 5. By 2pm its pretty gruelling and outside work is nigh on impossible.

I do feel sorry however for those who have to commute from some of the outlying villages e.g. From our village we have a bus into Granada which leaves at 0715 and arrives at 9am...ideal for high school pupils, and shop and office workers. This bus is invariably full every day. There is a return trip from Granada at 11am and this turns around and goes straight back to Granada normally close on empty since it arrives back in Granada just as the shops are closing for the siesta.

It makes another run from Granada at 1430 picking up the school kids that it had dropped off in the morning, and once again turns straight around and heads back arriving just as the shops re-open. Its final run of the day is at 2030...too early for the shopworkers, since the town shops are generally open until 2130 or 2200. All the bus trips are carried out by the same driver who lives in our village. So he is on the go so to speak from 7am until 2130. At night the bus is parked up in the village. The schedule is maintained Monday through Friday; on Saturday the last return trip from the village, normally 1530 from the village and 2030 from Granada does not run, nor is there a service on Sundays and / or Public Holidays. We suggested in the early days that the timing of the last bus should be delayed for one hour so that shopworkers could be catered for a little better, but ran into problems of EU drivers hours rules. A second driver would be required to fulfill the task and that would obviously mean higher fares; the suggestion was dropped...

The outcome of this is that shopworkers can get to work in the morning but cannot return home at 'lunchtime' nor can they use the last bus, because it leaves before the shops close. So they normally get the bus into work and hubby / boyfriend / S.O. picks them up when the shops close. This means of course that they are effectively confined to the town during siesta and so long lunches are the order of the day, every day. No point in using the time to go shopping since all the shops except the likes of Carrefour, Alcampo and Mercadona are closed!

The main supermarkets / hypermarkets are open from 0930 til 2200 Monday through Saturday.

So...should siesta be stopped...well maybe... but outside workers would find it impossible during high summer. Shops being open until 10pm is a way of life in Granada City and bars and restaurants are at their busiest after 2200.

Our village shop maintains the siesta tradition, she opens up at 0800 and closes at 1330 and then re-opens at 1700 until 2000; I don't think the villagers would have it any other way, but ours is a very rural community with lots of farmworkers so again, during the summer, life outside between 12 and 5 is pretty intolerable and the village resembles a ghost town. The Primary school in the village and Secondary school in the next village run straight through from 0800 until 1400 with a short lunch break of 30 minutes between 1130 and 1200.

School holidays in the Summer bring the village to life; although quiet between 1200 and 1700, in the evenings the bar becomes the cultural centre of our little universe and kids of all ages are regularly up and about until well after midnight and when its really hot its not unusual for the bar to be open around the clock...hell even the GC have been known to stop by on occasion for a 'loo stop....'

It's all very strange after living in a big UK city...where all the shops shut at 1730 and the security people haul down the shutters on the shopping malls, and where at 2300 a bus inspector blows his whistle and all of the last buses depart and the City gets handed over to the drunks and ne'er-do-wells.

I know which I prefer and I have to say personally..."Viva la Siesta"

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
17 May 2010 11:29 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I don't know how the Spanish do it.  Many businesses around here work 10am - 2pm then 5pm - 8pm.

I do sometimes work these hours and I find it very difficult to get back into things for 3 hours in the afternoon.  At that point you really would rather just be doing something else.  It's probably why productivity is so low.

However, in the summer I do go home and have a sleep after lunch, and encourage my kids to do the same, as the days are so long.  We tend to then go to the beach at 7pm (best time), eat late and go to bed late.  It's just too hot in the summer to do anything else.

So, in the summer I think the siesta is probably a good idea, although in the winter there's little point in it.  Maybe they should do it so that in the summer months the siesta timetable can be used the the rest of the year just a normal timetable, maybe doing a 9 - 5 set up.

It's what I tend to do anyway.

Saying that, I think many businesses are now doing this anyway, it just affects shops more as traditionally they follow the siesta timetable.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Jerez airport - parking - 3 posts
bus routes going through San Cayetano - 1 posts
Santander to San javier - 16 posts
Little Old Men - 4 posts
Question for Justin - 2 posts
painting holidays in spain - 4 posts
AGM Voting - Abstaining? - 11 posts
A Very Dangerous Virus - 11 posts
40K Members on EOS!!!!! - 4 posts
Jet2 abandonement - 1 posts
Spanish tax return completed free of charge - 0 posts
Do you know where this is - 7 posts
Goverment Bicycle hire at the beach in Costa Calida - 1 posts
jazztel in marbella - 0 posts
Wanted urgently: Replacement roof... - 0 posts
Movinf to Spain - 1 posts
UK Reg Vehicle & Road Fund License - 18 posts
Building recommendation. - 0 posts
Long term parking at Reus Airport - 1 posts
Agents in Granada ? - 3 posts
LEY 57/68 - OFF PLAN PURCHASES - 3 posts
Dying badly - and needlessly - 0 posts
NIE application revised fee EUR16.00 - 0 posts
Easyjet Flights - 2 posts
TV kijken in Condado de Alhama - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x