Prices in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Is anyone else finding Spain expensive ? The cost of goods in Spanish shops has surprised me this year. Perhaps I am used to  the competition in British shops and the good deals on offer. The exchange rate doesn't help but I think Spanish goods with a few exceptions are pricey .

Like 0      
13 Apr 2010 12:06 AM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

I agree.  When we went out in January, and had to do a lot of repairs & renewals (after tenants had left) we were surprised too!!  The electrical goods always have been more expensive.  We had to buy a TV - and paid about €100 euros more for it than we would have done in England.  Even eating out seemed to be more expensive.  Perhaps we have been spoilt by all the local Clacton restaurants who compete for business - and so give you a good bargain! 

Will be out in Spain again next week - this time there shouldn't be any nasty expenses to pay out for - so will be a bit easier on the pocket!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
13 Apr 2010 2:50 PM by Eva2008 Star rating in Reading. 152 posts Send private message

Eva2008´s avatar

we have just moved back after living there a few years. Cant believe the prices of stuff in the UK compared with Spain.

Nappies in spain for example are 17 euroes for the supermarket brand, in the UK they are £5 for the same amount and thats the top brand (Pampers).

Food in the UK is so cheap compared with Spain and so is furniture and nearly everything else.

One thing is definitely cheaper in spain and that is toothbrushes. Mercadona brand are 1 euro for 3 excellent brushes, in the UK they are £2.50 for one!

We moved back to the UK as we just couldnt afford to live in such an expensive country without a decent wage, which by the way, is another point. UK earning are much higher than Spain and the cost of living in Spain is higher!!! Work that one out!

Like 0      
18 Apr 2010 4:02 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

I wonder if any of the British supermarkets will try to compete in Spain. I would prefer not to see any more British stores but the Spanish supermarkets could do with being a little cheaper.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2010 5:24 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes I am surprised someone like Tesco's have not made their mark in Spain considering they are everywhere.

But there must be a reason why.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2010 7:23 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

They are the obvious choice and seem to have branched out into other European countries. I heard that M and S are reconsidering opening stores abroad but don't know how true that is.

Like 0      
18 Apr 2010 8:58 PM by misty Star rating. 107 posts Send private message

Imo Spain is much cheaper mind you we dont live in a tourist district we pay around 1.80 for a pint at our local 12 e for a good chinese meal for 2 with wine and our supermarket bill comes to around 60e we live very well easily  on 150 euros a week, we wouldnt have a chance of doing tis in the uk

Like 0      
19 Apr 2010 8:31 AM by samcampbell Star rating in Costa Del Sol. 136 posts Send private message

samcampbell´s avatar

Hi Manorpark,

Marks & Spencer are already here on the Costa del Sol, they opened a store in La Canada Shopping Centre in Marbella last year.

Sam Campbell Business 1st...

mail: info@business1st.es

www.business1st.es

Like 0      
19 Apr 2010 8:51 AM by TheBabyHireCentre Star rating in In between the two a.... 48 posts Send private message

TheBabyHireCentre´s avatar

According to a study conducted by the post office it is still cheaper here in Spain:   thebabyhirecentre.blogspot.com/2010/03/your-pound-still-has-purchasing-power.html

But much would depend on what you buy, and where from.

Like 0      
19 Apr 2010 5:50 PM by manorpark Star rating. 165 posts Send private message

manorpark´s avatar

Good news about M and S , shame it isn't the Costa Blanca !

Like 0      
19 Apr 2010 6:13 PM by spainmamma Star rating in Mijas . 36 posts Send private message

The Marbella M&S is def more expensive than in the UK ... almost to the point where it's not worth bothering ... you could prob buy cheaper from M&S in the UK and have stuff sent over ....

I find Iceland in Fuengirola really reasonable though and they have great special offers which the Spanish supermarkets just don't seem to do so much ...

Like 0      
19 Apr 2010 8:06 PM by KP Star rating. 229 posts Send private message

Where can you get a curry for £2.00? Iceland thats where (not advertising, I don't work there! when people talk about the prices in the UK and Spain, the prices in the UK are far cheaper in the UK including toothbrushes!!!  Wilkos 3 for a £1.00 as well as Mercadona!..............

http://www.iceland.co.uk/page/view/authentic_baltis and if you spend £25 or more they will deliver your frozen food for free 4 times a day... Now if like me you like fresh produce not much good but for all you beer swilling curry junkies out there... do you think they will deliver to Spain for bulk orders..........

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Had enough I am off - 47 posts
tolls - 10 posts
Tax help - 5 posts
small garden work - 0 posts
Diesel Generator WANTED - 0 posts
Smoking ban delayed? - 41 posts
Mortgage broker in Malaga and/or Cadiz - 5 posts
Kayak or canoe wanted - 0 posts
Electricity and Water Bills - 0 posts
Car & Motorbike Insurance - 2 posts
Can you buy PVA in Spain? - 4 posts
Disney comes to condado de alhama - 3 posts
tax resident and capital gains - 1 posts
black nintendo ds lite - 1 posts
Miscellaneous Furniture For Sale - 1 posts
Can anyone please recommend an honest Accountant on the CDS? - 6 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 0 posts
Autonomo or SL? - 8 posts
Empty transit & bike trailer to GB - 0 posts
Murcia area to Granada - 6 posts
Spring Clearout - items for sale - 6 posts
Does anyone know - 1 posts
Air Conditioning V ceiling fans, or both - 22 posts
Internet Banking - 7 posts
Letting agent for winter - too good to be true? - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 12

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x