what is position on tax when you sell

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by artc Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I hear many different stories about when you sell and what tax is withheld and what charges you will pay, can anyone give me the definitive answer to this, i have my apartment up for sale (no luck yet)  and i would like to know what to expect.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 6:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Capital gains tax payable @18% if it's not your main residence and you are not re-investing the proceeds. Payable on the difference between (declared) purchase price and selling price. If non-resident, 3% of selling price will be retained upon signing, in lieu of CGT - can be reclaimed if none due.

Plus Valia, similar to CGT but based on the increase in the land value (valor catastral, which can be found on your IBI, or rates, bill) in the time you have owned the property - payable to your local town hall. Usually a fairly small amount.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 7:08 PM by ChrisS Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Mine is up too but it may be that we will only get back what we paid for it if we want to sell more quickly.

Do I assume therefore that no CGT will be payable in that scenario?

There will be solicitors charges (1%?) plus Estate Agency charges (5-7.5%?) assuming you dont do it all yourself.

Like 0      
24 Feb 2010 8:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

No need for a solicitor if you have the time and inclination to be in Spain to deal with the sale; estate agent's fee should be no more than 5%, if they want more, go elsewhere.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Feb 2010 7:26 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

I would advise to use an independent solicitor for the sale. With all my respect for different opinions, a clean, liabilities free sale is better conducted with the help of a lawyer.

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
25 Feb 2010 5:26 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I also have absolute respect for different opinions, especially professional ones! If you are unfamiliar with the sale process, have limited grasp of Spanish or are simply nervous of the whole thing (understandable), I think Maria's advice is spot on. I'm not sure, but I think a fixed fee should be agreed for this service rather than the 1% of the sale mentioned previously, which is the figure usually quoted for the buyer's legal fees; generally speaking, the onus is on the buyer to ensure there are no liabilities etc., and the seller's representative doesn't really have too much to do other than ensure you get paid (!!!) and then make sure the Plus Valia is paid (actually very easy to do yourself), and handle any subsequent CGT liability. You may want someone to ensure that all the utilities etc., are transferred correctly to the new owner, but if there is an estate agent invloved, they will usually deal with all this as part of their service.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2010 12:59 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

So the 3% retention tax is only taken from non residents?  What if someone has a residencia certificate but  is not in the Spanish tax system. What are they classified as in relation to this tax retention?

Like 0      
27 Feb 2010 1:12 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

You must be a fiscal resident, i.e. a tax payer in Spain; you need a certificate from Hacienda (tax dept.) stating as much in order to avoid the retention.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
27 Feb 2010 10:58 AM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 805 posts Send private message

Thought so. Thanks for the confirmation. Must tell my friends who although they have lived here are for a few years do not fiscal residency.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

tax re diff between what was paid and his valuation - 3 posts
Iberdrola electricity tariffs - 7 posts
Estate Agents and Developers Reviews - 2 posts
Proceeds from House Sale - 10 posts
Somport tunnel - 4 posts
strictly come dancing in the costa del sol - 0 posts
Help/work/driving offered in exchange for accomodation - 3 posts
White goods for sale??? - 1 posts
We Are Going Back the 18th And Coming Back the 24th - 2 posts
Cancellation due to fall of the interest of the contract - 0 posts
Best Fish and Chips - 1 posts
A subversie meeting to change president and/or administrator - 0 posts
Record Go Car Hire - 2 posts
Damask or Heavy Cotton throws - 3 posts
Tumble Drier needed. Catral area - 2 posts
Damp Problem; Advice needed...quickly! - 32 posts
Community problems - 38 posts
Property to rent required - 0 posts
2 SINGLE BEDS WITH MATTRESSES FOR SALE ( CAMP BED TYPE ) - 0 posts
Wanted - Superser mobile gas heater - or similar - 0 posts
Heated indoor Pools - 5 posts
Looking to return to Spain-freehold business required please. - 2 posts
Iberdrola Electric Bills - 43 posts
Wanted: Childs Car Seat - 0 posts
agent in mojacar - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x