Spanish bull fighting

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Nov 2009 7:34 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

L.O.L

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 7:45 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

What do you mean by L.O.L.

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 7:45 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

What do you mean by L.O.L.

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 8:20 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

laugh out loud   ´{i got it from my kids who are always texting}

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 8:23 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Well, I was told L.O.L. meant "lots of laughs".

I´d snap my fingers too, to show I am with it but the arthritis kicks in!!!

pilgrim

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 8:34 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

I've been told it meant 'lots of love'

PS. Why did you laugh out loud???

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
25 Nov 2009 9:50 PM by coolrunner Star rating in la marina. 91 posts Send private message

coolrunner´s avatar

becouse my arthritis stops me clicking my fingers.........no i laughed becouse of the dads army comment

Like 0      
26 Nov 2009 7:09 AM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

Yes I have to agree the comment is good.

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
26 Nov 2009 9:44 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

getting back to the thread for a moment!

I wonder as a comprimise, (don't laugh!) if a system could be devised where the bull (without deadly horns) has electronic target areas attached to it that make a noise when the Matador touches them with a harmless sword, likewise the matador has contact areas that sound if the bull makes any contact with clothing or the matadors cloak. That way neither would shed blood, (unless the matador gets trampled?) and the contest could still look much the same from a danger point of view, but be won on points, over a decided time scale.

My guess is, that unless pain and bloodshed is involved, many bull fighting fans wouldn't be interested in the same way as fox hunters wouldn't want their dogs muzzled?. If that's the case, then I think there's no choice but to ban it as unacceptable cruelty?

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 2:14 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Saw this somewhere else, it seemed appropriate.

" He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals " Immanuel Kant..... philosopher

" Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals is not a good man " Arthur Schopenhour philosopher

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judgedby the way its animals are treated ".... Mahatma Gandhi

Poppyseed

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 12:12 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

I think in Portugal, and in some other Hispanohablante countries, they don't kill the bull.  

It has already been said I think, but until the UK gets it own house in order, I don't think it has much to feel smug about.  (not that caring for animals is smug, I am talking about national trends), e.g. fox hunting has become BIGGER since the ban with people openly breaking the law, dog  fighting is on the increase and while these things are illegal, our cat and dog shelters are bursting at the seams and unable to cope with the growing numbers of animals dumped.   Agree absolutely  with the two philosophers mentioned in the last post.  Didn't the guy recently jailed for murdering baby P start by torturing animals??     

Brian

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 12:50 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

I can't see why they need to kill the bull in the first place. Like Bri said about in Portugal they don't kill the bull.

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
29 Nov 2009 6:06 PM by Jimbothescot Star rating in Urcal,Huercal Overa,.... 41 posts Send private message

I have always said that if the bull gets the Matador,then the game should be over,the bull won and should be taken out,tended by a vet and turned out to a field of cows to make more bulls.I expressed this opinion to a Spanish chiropodist one day and although he personally is against bull fighting,he explained that the bull can indeed be allowed out alive.Apparently it is down to the crowd with the colour of hankies that they wave.If the matador has been very brave and given a great performance they wave hankies to decide whether he gets awarded the bulls,ears or tail,however,if the crowd feels that the bull is particularly brave(though I don`t knoe how they judge that) they wave I think he said orange hankies and the matador must stop and the bull is returned to the farm to produce more bulls.Needles to say the value of that bull and any offspring is much enhanched.

He said that on average there are about 30 bulls a year reprieved.Not a very large number compared to the number killed,but at least a small chance of survival.

Jimbo

Like 0      
22 May 2010 9:31 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

A bull exacted its revenge this week. Just saw it here.

Mark

Like 0      
22 May 2010 1:09 PM by David W Star rating. 199 posts Send private message

David W´s avatar

You should go to the Vera bullring

It's a fascinating part of "old'' Spanish culture

Just remember the cheap seats are in the sun so pay more for seats in the shade!

Like 0      
24 May 2010 9:55 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Mark, I saw that the other day & watched the video right to the end when it replayed the incident in slow motion & I cheered the bull.  Unfortunately the bull was killed as one would expect. I get VERY ANGRY over the bull fighting issue. It may be Spanish culture but it's a disgrace same as too much of what goes on in Spain.

Anyone fancy seeing the goring?

Like 0      
26 May 2010 1:01 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

morerosado

well said.  There can be no justification for putting an animal through this pain and torment, no more than can be for fox hunting in the UK. 

At least the bull in the clip had some revenge before it was slaughtered. The fox in the UK has no chance of revenge against the chinless cowards who pursue it on horse back, but unlike the bull, at least it has some chance to escape, and many do thankfully, despite the entrances to their den often being blocked by the hunt in the morning before the hunt starts.

I hate the thought of any creature being tormented for humans pleasure, but  if we have to comprimise ?, then muzzles on dogs, and no sharp instruments used in bullfighting?.  Surely that would be a comprimise that would allow both  to continue without  the hideous physical suffering?

Like 0      
26 May 2010 1:30 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

Although I certainly don't agree with such a barbaric and one-sided 'sport', I suppose in times gone by people had less to 'entertain' themselves with?.. but in this day and age I see it as a direct reflection of the bloodthirsty saddo's who sit and pay to watch it.. maybe one day we'll see a hungry bull jump into the crowd and dish out some payback.Like the old saying goes "what goes around comes around"  (aren't I a cheerful so and so)   ;O)

Like 0      
26 May 2010 1:46 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

People don't have to watch it if they don't like it.  They're also don't have to live/holiday in Spain if they don't want to.  This is a big part of Spanish culture, especially in Madrid and the south of Spain, and it isn't going to go away any time soon.

Me, I can take it or leave it.  I've been to a few bullffights, it was quite entertaining, but I did feel a bit sorry for the bull.

Read my blog: Spain Money Saving Tips and Offers 

Use TransferWise to send money abroad. A lot cheaper than the bank and other online currency exchanges!.

Like 0      
26 May 2010 2:03 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Sanchez

I feel strongly that if culture means cruelty and suffering ,then surely it must be wrong anywhere?.  In some parts of Africa, female circumcision is part of their ''culture''. It's barbaric mutilation by any other name and has no justification in the past present, or future.  I don't think we should turn our back because it's not on our patch, but at least recognise right and wrong, and do what we can to support those trying to bring an end to suffering where ever possible, humans or animals.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish holidays - 0 posts
Question about Spain, Need some help! - 0 posts
postres en Espana - 0 posts
Scooter For Sale - 0 posts
Navidad - 0 posts
Cheap travelling to Spain - 0 posts
CGT for non-residents - 1 posts
I want to transport my dogs from UK to Spain - 5 posts
Hola a todos en este foro. Mi nombre es Sunrise. He estado en los Eye On Spain durante casi tres meses! - 0 posts
Can anyone recomend small part load deliveries to Costa Blanca - 4 posts
Joint property ownership - 0 posts
Driving Back to the UK?? - 11 posts
Land status validation - 4 posts
Congratualtions! - 10 posts
Life insurance is crippling me - 5 posts
5 month let required - 4 posts
dacion en pago - 0 posts
Transfer tax - re-assessment by Junta Andalucia - based on deemed value? - 0 posts
Una pregunta acerca de Espana! - 9 posts
UK TV, Freeview, Freesat, different systems & receivers explained - 0 posts
Satellite updates HD, Top Gear, Freesat - 0 posts
Van going to Spain the 3 of december - 1 posts
Koren wok in Benimar, Rojales, Alicante - 0 posts
What can you do if your apartment is finished but the community areas are in-complete? - 7 posts
Boundary rules - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 75

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x