Yucca Plants trimming tips needed.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by firsteuro Star rating in Hondon de las Nieves. 58 posts Send private message

firsteuro´s avatar

Hi Folks,

My little niece is coming over to stay for the next 3 weeks and I am concerned about the Yucca plants growing in my garden.

As you will all be aware, the tips of these plants are razor sharp and I am worried that the tips are at eye level for a 3 year old.

Is it possible to square off the ends of the plants so that they present  "less" risk to her but not damage the plants in the long term?

All I have to worry about then is the giant wolf spider that lives in the flower bed :)

Cheers

Steven

Like 0      
29 Aug 2009 9:00 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Steven,

Yucca plants are very hardy more so in Spain.  So I would  personally just trim the leaves. They can be very sharp.

I have one in the garden here in the UK and has

survived 10 winters and flowered.  Hope your niece enjoys Spain

Pat

Like 0      
29 Aug 2009 9:19 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

This sounds a bit harsh but from the Gardening Know How website:

With yucca plants, care and pruning are easy. When your yucca plant becomes too tall for the space it is in, gently remove it from the pot. Determine where the halfway mark is on the trunk or a point where you wish to be pruning a yucca that is above the halfway point. Using a saw or a sharp pair of loppers, cut the trunk in half.

Repot the bottom, rooted end of the trunk. Water well and then you are done with your pruning. While the plants are recovering, continue caring for the yucca plants as you normally would. In a short time, the plant will produce new leaves. It will recover to look as good as it did before, except that it will be much shorter and more appropriately sized.

Reading that, I wouldn't think trimming a few leaves would harm it all.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

rental property - 0 posts
Ikea Expedit bookcase for sale - 0 posts
Mother, Baby and Toddler Show - 0 posts
Jet2 online check in rip- off - 13 posts
Whats In Area of La Duquesa For Children - 2 posts
where to sell used furniture estepona? - 1 posts
HELP!! Can anyone help us find a supermarket open Saturdays until very late? - 6 posts
Spanish Property Supermarket - 26 posts
Tabernas Gabo de Gato in almeria - 2 posts
Doctor care - 0 posts
Does Solbank have a branch in London UK? - 2 posts
Jet2.com News - 3 posts
Cajamar bank - free banking - 0 posts
Hello all - 65 posts
newbie NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! - 4 posts
advice - 0 posts
Has anyone heard of the Complex Altos del Golf - 2 posts
Cheap home contents insurance - 0 posts
Endesa English Speaking Staff - 3 posts
Administrator Reports - 0 posts
I know why none of us are receving electric bills from Sevillana!!!!!!! - 1 posts
Has anyone got any ideas for fundraising? - 2 posts
If cannot pay Inheritance Tax? - 11 posts
Telephone Line Rental - 7 posts
SUPER-INCOMPETENT TELEFONICA - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x