HELP!! Can anyone help us find a supermarket open Saturdays until very late?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Aug 2009 12:00 AM by Tiara Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Our flight is due to land at Alicante airport 20:15 on Saturday week. We then have a long drive to our rental villa near Javea. Can anyone suggest a supermarket that isn't far off our route (villa rental co. are directing us on the A7)? Will anything be open that late? By the time we've collected luggage & hire car it'll be 21:30 at least before we leave the airport.

We won't have had an evening meal but I have a particular problem that I can't eat wheat or dairy so stopping off for fast food isn't an option. I also have a chronic back problem & by then my pain levels won't allow for stopping at a 'proper' restaurant to eat. Therefore getting some simple provisions from a supermarket is really our only option.

Villa rental company have been thoroughly (& hurtfully!) unhelpful so I'm really hoping someone out there can help us.

As we haven't been to this area before we don't even know if we'll find a large supermarket open on Sunday in/near Javea. Can anyone give us any advice, please?

Many thanks!!

This message was last edited by Tiara on 28/08/2009.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 9:34 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

We also had a flight landing at 20:15 on a Saturday.  As it is September, big branches of Carrefour will be open until midnight.  We managed to get from Alicante to Elche Carrefour about 21:30 when it only opened to 22:00 and it was absolutely packed.  Seems all the Spanish love doing their shopping late so the queues at the tills were huge, but it was worth it because we could get the milk, cereal etc for the morning before venturing out the next day.

Look at this site (Carrefour in Comunidad Valencia) http://www.carrefour.es/hipermercados/guia_hipermercados/index.asp

and you can click on a store near you to find out the opening times.  For example, Carrefour in Elche is open to 23:00.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 10:08 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Thanks that was very handy information. Does that mean the stores are open those hours throughout the year? Thanks Kevin

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 10:21 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I'm not sure but I think it's only in July, August and September.  However, the one in Elche is definitely open to at least 22:00 as it was April when we had to nip in for the milk (honest, oh.....and a pack of San Miguel.....oh, and a bottle of Valencian wine.....oh, and a few packets of crisps.....purely for supper of course).  The Carrefour in Torrevieja definitely wasn't open on the Sunday in March, nor was Eroski or Consum.  We are lucky to have a Gama open Sundays 10 to 2 all year round.

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 10:49 PM by rugbyjen Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Here in Valencia, supermarkets, such as OpenCor are open til about 1am, but you can´t buy alcohol from 10pm, and is open on Sundays.  Other places are Sprinter, which I think is open until 3am.  Other than that, I´m sure there will be petrol stations open which sell food, if you are really desperate....

Hope this helps

Like 0      
28 Aug 2009 11:19 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Tiara Hi;

Also worth noting that Carrefour do a range of gluten-free wheat free products bread products, all a bit tasteless because out here they trnd to use just corn flour rather that the mix of flours that are used in the uk. All gluten free products are normally clearly marked gluten-free or Sin Gluten.

If you can find a branch of Alcampo their range of bread products is much better...

you might like to try this link for further information on Gf and wheat free products in Spain...

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
30 Aug 2009 8:11 PM by Cioffi1 Star rating in London & Calahonda . 216 posts Send private message

Cioffi1´s avatar

Tiara - I'd change the villa rental company when you visit again - if they're not willing to shop for a few essentials for your arrival. They sound incredibly unhelpful.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Spanish Property Supermarket - 26 posts
Tabernas Gabo de Gato in almeria - 2 posts
Doctor care - 0 posts
Does Solbank have a branch in London UK? - 2 posts
Jet2.com News - 3 posts
Cajamar bank - free banking - 0 posts
Hello all - 65 posts
newbie NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! - 4 posts
advice - 0 posts
Has anyone heard of the Complex Altos del Golf - 2 posts
Cheap home contents insurance - 0 posts
Endesa English Speaking Staff - 3 posts
Administrator Reports - 0 posts
I know why none of us are receving electric bills from Sevillana!!!!!!! - 1 posts
Has anyone got any ideas for fundraising? - 2 posts
If cannot pay Inheritance Tax? - 11 posts
Telephone Line Rental - 7 posts
SUPER-INCOMPETENT TELEFONICA - 5 posts
to overpay or to not overpay, that is a question - 9 posts
JANE & ANDREW GODDEN - 0 posts
Help for British Disabled in Spain. - 0 posts
Honest answers - 0 posts
Pool Size - 5 posts
For Sale - Seat Inca 1.9Sdi Van - 0 posts
enquiry - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x