Exhibition Frolicks

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Well that got you looking in here didnt it! I thought we could write any exhibition experiences down for people to read.

Last spring I was in at the Househunters show in Dublin. Between the auctions I was womaning a stand on my own offerinf Spain and Morocco.

The Irish dont particularly like Morocco so it was rather quiet - good job after all the beer consumed!!!!!

Anyway this guy comes up to me asking about Morocco. So I goe into my speech about Tangiers, the new port, freezone etc and I feel this chap is really taking it all in, until he asks me where Morocco is.

Well, I tell him its in Africa and he proceeds to ask me where Africa is.

Im still not sure if it was a wind up!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 1:55 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Sounds like buyers for Morroco do the same amount of research as some in Spain  (except for those here on the forum of course)

The last exhibition I did was at Sandown Park a few years ago.  It was a waste of time 1 sale from 236 visitors to the stand.

The highlight was a snotty little man and his wife came onto the stand, we had a bar set up with nibbles and Spanish wines. He rapidly polished off 3 glasses of free wine whilst telling us all how great he was.  One of our salesman had spent all morning eating olives and spitting the stones into a bowl on the bar.  Mr Snotty eventually decided to leave and grabbed a

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 1:55 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Had to repost above, smileys podcast is causing havoc!!!

This message was last edited by Gillespie on 3/15/2007.

Like 0      

Gillespie´s avatar

Sounds like buyers for Morroco do the same amount of research as some in Spain  (except for those here on the forum of course)

The last exhibition I did was at Sandown Park a few years ago.  It was a waste of time 1 sale from 236 visitors to the stand.

The highlight was a snotty little man and his wife came onto the stand, we had a bar set up with nibbles and Spanish wines. He rapidly polished off 3 glasses of free wine whilst telling us all how great he was.  One of our salesman had spent all morning eating olives and spitting the stones into a bowl on the bar.  Mr Snotty eventually decided to leave and grabbed a handfull of peanuts.  We all laughed our heads off when he realized he had a mouth full of Rogers well chewed olive stones.  It was worth the €15,000 exhibition cost just to watch that!

This message was last edited by Gillespie on 3/15/2007.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 9:29 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Viva Espana - Day 1. Thought I would write a quick diary sonon agents can see what we do for our money

Last night worked til gone 9pm from 8.30 am (no lunch) ensuring everything was set and ready printed etc for the show. Went home and packed

7a, - bloomin eck - the alarmclocks going mad. Left home 8am to fuengy to go to bank and collect some velcro stuff to keep the posters on the wall. 10am airport, carpark Dave collects the car and onto the plane I go. WHy is it quicker to leave spain than leave UK??

Arrive at just after 2 then lug the hand luggage of 18 kilos wieght along to collect the big suitcase weighing 23.5 kilos! Off to vivtoria on the gatwick express via a cash machine.

Then taxi (not getting the tube this time as I still have the blisters on my hand from before!) to Olympia where of course only half is ready! Hang around for a couple of hours and im in the Theatre of Dreams - rather embarassing name that one! Finally leave at 6pm and get on tube 1 stop to earls court.

Find hotel - hey ho another fleapit but at least I can turn around in this one. TV wont work AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH so man comes up and fiddles with aerial. No joy so get moved! Pack and unpack again

Then out, do a bit of shopping come to inernet place cos laptop has knacked out onme as well (lucky day today!) In a bit Im going for some grub then back to hoel.

Trouble is there is anightclub underneath..... and walking past it I actually remember staggering into it last march. I joined up with a group of students, nice bunch, and then got them shots of tequila! Hilarious!

So, looking forward to tomorrow and the Dynamite Boyz ... I promise to get some pics for you girls.

Nite nite all

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
15 Mar 2007 10:32 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
bLIMEY V EARLY NIGHT FOR YOU TRIXY RIXXY OR WERE YOU JUST ON YOUR WAY OUT DOWNSTAIRS TO GET IN THE SWING!!

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
17 Mar 2007 7:04 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Smiley - I wrote this in the local internet cafe in Earls court - my laptop decided to not work! Still its a bit old and I think the trip has tired it out.

After that I went for a thai meal, very nice, did a bit of shopping in sainsbury's which satys open until 11pm! And a health food shop that stays open all night! Bit dodgy if you ask me, I mean who wants vitamins at 1am???

Well Day 1 started well, I got to the hall at 8.30am but the day was quiet. Fridays tends to be a business day anyway but even so! It really is very obvious that Spain is not the flavour of the year.

Still the shows were good and the competitors for the flamenco competition - which is being judged by Brendan Cole on sunday was excellent. Sevillana dancers, a tuna band and loads of free booze on offer.

I behaved myself right up until the exhibitors party which for some reason was not held directly after the show, but instead was at 8pm at the roof gardens kensington. Bit poncy but there you go and as usual the free drink ran out at 9pm!! well all im gonna say is it was a good night, my feet are killing me after all the dancing and after about 4 hrs kip, was back into the show.

Day 2 saw all the estate agents complaining about a total lack of customers and really it was bad. I got very few people interested in the auctions, the ones who did come mainly wanted to sell! Anyway Im catching up on emails and phone calls now, going for some good carbohydrate food to get me going and then who knows!!

Catch up with you all tomorrow!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
18 Mar 2007 8:04 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Day 3 - YEEEHAAA Finished. My feet have gone totally numb by now and Im shattered! It was a quietish day but 3 clients specifically camr to see me which was really nice.

The show ending was quite spectacular, the free drinks throughout the day helped adn I bought myself a massage pad which is fantastic.

Got shot of all my catalogues and now going for a quiet meal. Home tommorrow with 2 weeks until last and final exhibition.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 12:08 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 1:58 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Janice - I wondered if anyone was bothered about what we get up to. I darent put everything down for general consumption but needles to say we work hard and then a hardened core go and play hard!

Can be a bit tiring after hardly any sleep for a few dyas but what the hell - you only live once!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 2:08 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi Rixxy,

How do you get on in general at the exhibitions?

We are thinking about one in Dublin later this year,are they proving cost affective?

Have stayed away so far due to cost implications,got to be careful with the market how it is.

Really feel for you on the employyee nightmare,we have one girl but she is very good(touch wood).

Georgia

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 2:22 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/19/2007.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 3:05 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Awww thank you! I didnt mean bothered by what we do etc but I meant bothered about the exhibition and what happens.

Anyway I, fond of a lot of people on this forum, speak good sense, nice and direct and not afraid to speak their minds!

Georgia - to be honest with you some are worth doing but some arent! Its a real dilemma cos although they cost a few thousand euros per time - well really around 6000 taking into consideration flights, food and of course the booze!!!, what is the alternative?

People do attend and even the poorly attended ones have resulted in a) sales and b) brand awareness.

I did 9 from september to nov last year - to be honest it was gruelling, but it raised the awareness of us and now we have between4500 to 5000 unique visitors per week to our site, so I went for a different reason.

If you are only selling Spain, then its a real touhg call as last expo was Spain only and was dire. I really felt for the agents there and even Macanthony didnt get anyone to the stand, or ocean or livingstons! They had spent serious money and so no way did thay make anything.

You could be better off advertising in papers as no one is advertising Spain now, or pick certain shows that are very well attended.

I only got back into them as doing what we do, we get a stand at a deducted rate, so just about covers itself, but earlier part of this year i had pulled out from them all!

Thanks for the thoughts re the employee. Im trying really hard not to get so wound up about it - not much ruffles my feathers but this one is biting - and to be truthful its not the money. Although it will hurt its the principle and of taking pity on someone they throw it back at you!

Ive lived in Spain 12 years and have been taken for a ride several times! Each time I learned but this girl I felt so sorry for - no money, in a strange land trying to find her way, she had been ripped off as well! So put her on her feet and helped her and then this. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Hey ho!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 6:37 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar

"In a strange land" - what nationality was she babe as I think we all assumed she was Spanish - well I did anyway

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 6:50 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Argentinian, Smiley!!   We read the posts!!!!

This message was last edited by Pitby on 3/20/2007.

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 8:09 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
Thanks Pitby! Smiley - you really must learn to be more polite and read more than the first few words of an email!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 10:41 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
About 5 minutes after I posted that I remembered - put it down to my addled brain cells - then had to speak to someone on the phone for quite a while and deal with a few texts that were "interfering" with my train of thought and so I had a senior moment - or just being an absent minded old fart! 

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 9:38 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And all of the below I guess!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 11:17 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Actually I dont think the Argentinians think of this as a strange land - it is for a lot of them their heritage after all - think they just as likely to take liberties as any other nationality if they think they can get away with it. 

Like 0      
22 Mar 2007 12:20 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

It must be annoying for Argentinians who remember the Malvinas/Falklands conflict to arrive in Spain only to find Britain has another Island off the coast of Spain!  Bet it makes them feel like occupying the Isle of White - mmmm that´s ok with me!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

El Gusto,La Cala village,CDS. - 1 posts
furnishing new built spanish property - 17 posts
Square metres - real or imagined? - 30 posts
car breakdown insurance - 6 posts
Welcome home Janice - 23 posts
Employees! - 35 posts
To become a resident or not - 11 posts
healthcare in spain - 1 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
London Members Meet - 3 posts
land boundary - 1 posts
Shipping FROM Spain - 0 posts
To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!! - 24 posts
healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 43

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x