To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
12 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

I am currently buying land only in Murcia and have been told that I do not need a solicitor or gestoria as there are no charges on the escritura, is this correct or should I employ a professional as I cannot see what much can go wrong! Any advice would be appreciated.

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 3:02 PM by Bristolboy Star rating in Bristol, south west .... 37 posts Send private message

I would suggest you get professional advice on buying the land, or you my just be parting with money and find you have nothing. you must have deed of purchase and this requires a solicitor.

Regards

Don McLeod

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 5:19 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
Use an independent lawyer - not one recommended by anyone else involved in the transaction - what do you intend to do with the land - some land here is not permitted to be developed and hence considerably cheaper - blimey thats a HUGE risk - EVERYTHING could go wrong - as Don says you need YOUR lawyer to confirm to you that the land you are buying is legally the vendors to sell.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 5:48 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Hi Maggy,

Welcome to EOS..................

Please, please, please get a solicitor NOW.

Do not part with a penny, or cent unless it is to a solicitor that YOU have found, not one that the seller of the land may suggest.

This sounds very very suspicious to me.

Please be very careful

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
12 Mar 2007 8:19 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Thanks to those who have posted a reply, I am going to call a solicitor in the morning and book an appointment asap, I haven't parted with any money yet, thank goodness.....

I will keep you all posted on here as to how I get on

Once again thanks very much.  Maggy.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 7:08 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Went to see a lawyer today and he advised me not to part with a penny yet!! There isa problem with the boundries, it can be rectified, but that needs to be done first! My moment of madness I guess,many thanks to the forum members.

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 7:20 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

Whew!

You listened to us lot, well done!!!

Let us know how you get on,

Kind regards,

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      
09 Apr 2007 2:24 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi I have been looking at the costs for the architects and the land surveyor's fees.

Does anybody have any idea how they price these up because I can't see why they should charge a % of the costs it could differ greatly, can anyone recommend how to work the costs out, I have been reading various publications but I just don't want to leave myself open to abuse!  Any help or links on building property from scratch in Spain would be most welcome.

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 3:39 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Hi Maggy,

This is a big subject so I´ll try to be as brief as pos.

1) I would suggest you ask your lawyer to find an architect he can recommend and work with.  this will make life easy for all concerned.

2) Get your lawyer to find out first if planning consent is possible on the plot.  Plano Parcial or as in the UK outline planning permission. 

3) If planning is possible on the land then your lawyer needs to ask  "How many m2 of build is possible".  Usually in the Murcia area up to 150m2 house.  Also ask how many floors 1 or 2 etc.

4) If planning is possible and you get your build size agreed in principle, DO NOT CONSIDER THIS TO BE GUARANTEED.  You will find that it will take up to 2 years before the Enviro in Murcia rubber stamp it, even after 2 years of waiting they could easily say NO, as rules change during that kind of time lapse.

5) So if you´re still brave enough to continue, next  buy the land and get your architect to draw up a design for submission to the town hall.  It´s a good idea to look at loads of new build show houses to give you ideas.  Or cut out the room shapes and sizes you would like and try and fit them together avoiding exceeding your build size.

6) The architect you choose should be willing to be the project manager to see the whole thing through to completion.  He will draw up full plans and submit them to the town hall as a project (proyecto).  At this point he will charge you for his time could be up to €5,000 or as low as €3,000.  If you feel your architect is good don´t skimp on these fees.

7) The architect will also take funds off you for the apericador (the man in the town hall who puts your project to planning) this is usually around €4,000.  - €8,000 depending on the build cost estimates obtained by the architect prior to application.

8)  Here in Murcia the build costs should be between €750 - €1,000 per square metre.  So a 150m2 house would cost around €150,000, this would include all fittings inc. bathrooms and kitchen etc.

9) Then you wait and wait and wait and wait then wait a bit more for 2 years.

10) If you are lucky and they say yes, you can go ahead with your architect obtaining the building licence and begin laying bricks.

11) On completion the architect will arrange for the Habitation Certificate, so he can apply for you electricity and water certificate and connection.  With this done you can arrange an appointment at the Notary with your lawyer to sign title deeds (Escritura).

There will be further costs down the line  - 1% here 2% there, it changes so much here in Murcia that not even your architect will be able to give you exact costs.  Just make sure you have 20% in hand over the build costs to be sure you are covered.

I have not listed every stage, only the important ones and emphasised the waiting.  But essentially this what is entailed in a nutshell!

I hope it helps, I can pm a good lawyer in Murcia if you would like.

Good luck

Gillespie.

PS I suggest you avoid any English project managers, they are usually con-men and will be on 10-20% and usually go to ground when a problem occurs.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
10 Apr 2007 9:42 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi Gillespie

I must thank you for you detailed comments and lists of things to consider/avoid! and I will be treading very carefully don't worry.

I have approached an architect who has quoted me:

Horararios Proyecto Basico y de ejucucion (70%)  6650.00e  (A)

Honorarios arquitecto direccion de obra (30%)      2850.00e  (B)

totaling:   9500,00e  (C)

Forma De Pago: which is 1425.00 e for Adelanto Honorarios tecnicos (15%) and La entrega del proyecto visado  (70%) 5225.00e = 6650.00e  (A)

A la entrega del final de obra (Resto)   2850.00e  (B)

Honorarios arquitecto direccion de obra (30%)    totaling:   9500,00e    (C)

Not including IVA of course!

I am just in the process of trying to find out exactly what all this is and what I am getting for my money, considering I haven't even got a project yet I think this is rather excessive.

We were considering a build size around 200 sq metres, and have also been told we need the ground testing and the services of a technical architect to ensure health and safety on the site otherwise we will not get the licence.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences, can you recommend any architects that speak english? I do think we have a long hard exercise ahead of us!

Many thanks for any assistance  

Maggy

Like 0      
11 Apr 2007 1:46 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Hi Maggy,

I think this is where the brave heart bit comes in to play.  When you look at the costs you have shown below (they seem on the reasonable side to me BTW)  Then you have to decide if you want to spend this kind of money with risk of refusal still attached.

I have pm´d a useful lawyer to you who speaks English. He has used a couple of architects for some of my clients and all went well if a little slowly.

The breakdown of the estimate is quite normal and your lawyer would be able to explain better than I about each individual fee. 

I guess the lawyer is your next step, as they will be honest with you as to wether it´s worth persuing the land purchase.  They need to be pretty sure about the build size before you commit.  An architect with good relations with the town hall in the area is a must as they usually know how the planning department works and probably have useful contacts there. 

Regarding the ground testing etc. this is new regulations and will be required for your build guarantee, and also for the insurance during construction.

It will be a huge undertaking and you are right to be very cautious.

Good luck either way and keep us informed.

Gillespie 

Like 0      
11 Apr 2007 2:27 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/18/2007.

Like 0      
11 Apr 2007 11:06 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,  will keep you all posted,  just in the process of getting some more quotes in for architects and looking at builders etc, problems with the boundries at the moment and until this is resolved we cannot go any further.

Thanks for the lawyer details Gillespie.

Maggy

Like 0      
12 Apr 2007 9:18 AM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar
No worries Maggy...whatever stage your´e at don´t hesitate to post your queries, we are pleased to give what little help we can.

Like 0      
08 May 2007 12:59 AM by MaggieB Star rating in Dunfermline,La Marin.... 56 posts Send private message

MaggieB´s avatar

Hey Gillespie

Are you trying to tell people what little you have??

Like 0      
30 May 2007 5:40 PM by Maggy Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

Going to the Notary next week to sign, glad we used a solicitor, apparantley things are just not what they seem in Spain are they? Our solicitor is insisting that we do everything by the book, and more, to cover every aspect.

It has cost us a little more on the fees but beleive me it will be worth it to sleep at night. Even though you do all the research you can, it  pays to take legal advice in the country you are buying in!

Like 0      
30 May 2007 10:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Good luck, Maggy. One little bit of advice from a layman (no lawyer will give you this tip, for any amount of money) :

Take a bottle of water with you to the notary. It's getting hot here now, offices can be stuffy places, you will almost certainly spend far longer there than you expect to, and nerves will no doubt be strained, and nobody will offer you a drink!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
31 May 2007 9:44 AM by rosi n Star rating in Cornwall / axarquia. 119 posts Send private message

Hi Maggy      Roberto is spot on about the Notary you think its only going to take 15 min.  to sign a few papers but with delays     ( there is always delays )  you could be there for 2 hours ,  we know this from the past ourselves or you could be out in 30 min. take plenty of water.    Good luck with this         Rgds    Rosi n

Like 0      
31 May 2007 12:04 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Maggy,  Good Luck with the NIE number we were their for about 5hours and it was freezing cold so at least you have nice weather.  Regards Pat

Like 0      
31 May 2007 12:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
If you end up waiting for hours in awful heat as we did without being able to sit down as so crowded & not enough seats you'd also be wise to take one of those seats that fold up like an umbrella & stores in a bag which you can sling over your shoulder. We have these as they take up so little room in the car boot unlike traditional beach chairs. Oh take your body spray as it gets rather pongy in there too with so many hot bodies.  Best of luck Maggie.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts
ISA's and Spanish Tax - 3 posts
Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts
My area. Enjoy! - 1 posts
Mariadecastro´s legal advise in London - 14 posts
paint - 31 posts
self storage at Gata de Gorges - 0 posts
Garden Furniture and Gas Barbecue in Mojacar area - 3 posts
This Thread Has Lost It's Thread - 8 posts
Thought Id telll you my expirience - 5 posts
All Things Sports - 301 posts
San Cayetano Quarter Villas - 12 posts
needing new home - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x