Square metres - real or imagined?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2007 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I have just been browsing through older threads, and came across the one on room sizes under Spanish Developers.

On a similar theme, here's a question for all the agents out there: why do estate agents perpetually lie about the size of the properties they are offering? For example, I am buying a studio, and have the info from the registry which clearly states the apartment size as 23.92 m2 plus 6.60 m2 terrace. I admit this sounds rather small, but the studio is in fact a pretty typical size. So why does the agent's literature about it claim 35 m2 plus 8 m2 terrace? Is this a technique to make it seem like you are getting more your money? This particular studio sells itself with the views, but maybe the agent does not feel capable of convincing clients of the value of a property without lying about it?

I am well aware of the difference between utilised & constructed, but this is a particular bugbear of mine, since I notice it time and time again, and not only on size, but also other aspects of property descriptions. I think it's high time there was more regulation and professionalism in this sector. I'm not sure I like the way the UK is going, with compulsory £200 surveys for sellers, but a little more accuracy and transparency would not go amiss.

Over to you guys..............

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2007 8:31 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Roberto, yes this is typical, just like in the 80s and 90s the UK agents were pulled for displaying larger sized rooms to get clients in.

The true size would not reflect the property in your case and if you had know the real size its likely you would not go there.

Also most agents dont get a nota simple before listing a property, so they have to guess the size!!

Certainly its irritating I know.

Re the UK - its bloody daft having to provide a pack. Some sellers cant afford it and of course it can be fiddled.

Money for the boys I think

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 12:31 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thanks for your reply Rixxy, and I do take on board your points. I would go to see a property if I thought it was interesting enough, regardless of the advertised size, but I guess that's because I take all information supplied initially with a pinch of salt. Not everyone thinks alike.

I appreciate that very few agents willl want to fork out 12 euros for a nota simple on a property (unless they have sole agency) before getting a buyer lined up, but I think perhaps the seller should be legally obliged to get it, and give copies to all agents they list with. Agents could therfore quite easily be required to have a copy before listing it. (And it's much cheaper than the stupid UK pack).

I have known an agent to carry one of those natty little laser measuring devices used by surveyors for valuation purposes. They're dead easy to use, give an accurate size of the property quickly, and give an impression of professionalism. (After all, many UK estate agents are also Chartered Surveyors, so why not apply similar standards?). On the other hand, I've known agents who have difficulty even taking a decent photo of a room. 

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:06 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hi Roberto - yes I agree with the nota simple, we ask for it (have done now for 4 years) and also have the internet system to receive them.  And now the lfo as well!!!

I used to have a laser measurer in the Uk, I have tried to find them here but cant seem to find them. However usually I pace it out for my own notes as because for the very reason we used to do that years ago in the UK people wanted to know the sizes of rooms and I cant understand why they dont do it here. After all who actually knows what a 57 sqm room looks like? Then on the phone I can describe a property more accurately and if a lounge for example is spacious I can put actual sizes on.

My pet hate is developers info without a compass on it so you cant work out which way certain blocks are facing as normally its the first thing people want to know - is it west facing ! Ive pulled a few developers up on that one, but no joy!!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 9:47 AM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hiya Rixxy,

I can see you,ve  managed to get back to Spain okay after your Quiet night out in Manchester! Will we ever learn!

About advertised property measurements. When we bought at Marbella Hill View in La Mareina many of us were taken by Viva Estates to view the show apartment at El Soto de Marbella phase 1, the adjacent development to ours as there was no show apartment built for our own project. We were told that the spacious size of rooms and the "stunning" quality standards we found at El Soto would be very similar to our own apartments, in fact they even sent us a powerpoint presentation that included pictures from the El Soto development!

Our own development is now pretty well complete and the 93/96 square metres of "Built" sizes that we were advised of have only delivered around 82 sq metres of actual living space!! and lets not even talk about the quality standards has I'd be on my second novel by now! In retrospect the lesson I've learned for the future is to always ask what the size is of the actual "living" space of the property and insist on seeing the purchase contract and plans "In English"

Do we always have to learn from Experience ???????

Mike T

Mike T

Like 0      
14 Mar 2007 10:10 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Hiya Miket - yes made it back - just. Off again in the morning to Olympia for a 3 day show this time!

The worst story about this I knew was a lady who bought off plan in Calahonda. She saw the show flat got the info saw the land plot and bouth a 200m built south facing penthouse 3 bed 2 bath with 70sqm wrap around terrace.

Had to sell off plan, contacted us and when I went there (and climbed through a window to get in as builders wouldnt give me the key) found a 68sqm box, 3 tiny bedrooms, a kitchen so claustrophobic it was untrue and a massive terrace.

She was in bits, we couldnt sell it but she didnt give up and eventually got her money back from the developers - who are STILL waiting for the LFO

Its really a joke the plans they give and all this should be stipulated in the contract cos they just move things around as they please.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
20 Mar 2007 12:37 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

the size in our contract (2002) stated ''luxery appartment 100m2'', build time approx 18 months''........... nearly 4 years later! , when it was nearly finished, the arcitect for the mortgage had it measured at 78m2.  A few months after that,  the developers contacted my lawyer, and said     '' oh sorry there has been a mistake, that appartment in the contract is not now available, but we have another one available.''

When we got a new arcitect report, the 'new' appartment measured 57m2!!!!. It will be 5 years in June since we put 30% deposit down, the site still has no LFO.   Yes, we are suing.

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 6:49 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
This size thing is bad - us women have been lied to for years about the size of 6 inches!!!!! Which explains the reason for the bumps in my car!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 4:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Too young (small?) to know how big an inch is - I only work in centimetres!

I have taken possession of the aforementioned studio now, and it took me all of 5 minutes with a bendy old tape measure to establish that the escritura is spot on (surprise!) so the agent really had no excuse - other than the fact that he had never actually seen the apartment before he took me there. Which is another that really gets my goat. What ever happened to "know your product" as one of the rules of sales? As for the BS those guys who "star" on Living In The Sun and other such crap come out with to try to flog dead ducks to unsuspecting Brits...don't even get me started!

Feel free to slag me off in "Agents Fight Back". I never read that thread!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 10:41 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Roberto - I wouldnt slag you off at all, youre spot on. Many agents never see the product especially if theyre the large agents. They employ specilaized listers who go to get properties on. They get pai on commission once the property sells. But they have no idea how to value. As the agents are self employed, they would not spend time and money viewing all the hundreds of new listings.

Thats why your better off with the smaller guys who have seen and know their property. My busines partner and I split th coast so i know one half he knows the other. Any clients are then directed to the person who has actualy seen the place!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 10:50 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Thanks for that Rixxy. You can be my agent if you like!

I've often recommended sticking to small, local agents who really know their area and product, rather than using the McAgents with offices everywhere and high staff turnover.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 10:52 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Yup, and i would gladly be your agent kind sir. I worked in real estate UK 20 odd years ago, matched people to property and I do the same here. more fun

Property is a recycling business ad I have sold the same property a couple of times for owners.

i like to sleep at nights!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Mar 2007 11:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure if this is appropriate here or not, but talking about knowing your product/market etc. reminded me of it:

A priest offered a Nun a lift. She got in and crossed her legs, forcing her gown to reveal a leg. The priest nearly had an accident. After controlling the car, he stealthily slid his hand up her leg. The nun said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?" The priest removed his hand. But, changing gears, he let his hand slide up her leg again. The nun once again said, "Father, remember Psalm 129?" The priest apologized "Sorry sister but the flesh is weak." Arriving at the convent, the nun went on her way.
On his arrival at the church, the priest rushed to look up Psalm 129. It said, "Go forth and seek, further up, you will find glory."

Moral of the story: If you are not well informed in your job, you might miss a great opportunity.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 12:31 AM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
The two of you are such flirts - is this a dating thread or what? Actually that might be a good idea for EOS - JUSTIN!!!!!

This message was last edited by Smiley on 3/25/2007.

This message was last edited by Smiley on 3/25/2007.

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 6:01 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Haha - loved the joke, about the sort of length i can remember!

dating service sounds good but then we would all hit reality so the anonimity of the forum is much more fun

back to work boys

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 8:29 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
So mythical animal by Avatar - mythical by nature - I was hoping we might be able to spin some on line dating thing and make a few bob - you know me, anything to make a few quid!! By the way nice to bump into you on Friday and enjoyed the chat, hope you had a great weekend

Smiley - patrick@marbellamortgages.com  www.marbellamortgages.com   www.comparetravelcash.co.uk

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 9:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
Dating?  You'll be asking me to put an adult classifieds section on here next too!

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 9:06 PM by Smiley Star rating in San Pedro de Alcanta.... 2502 posts Send private message

Smiley´s avatar
You are full of great ideas - can we have an X rated thread please

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 9:13 PM by alanwspencer Star rating in Hertfordshire/Duques.... 340 posts Send private message

alanwspencer´s avatar

Smiley

I thought the Spanish Estate Agents thread was X rated!

Alan

Like 0      
25 Mar 2007 11:21 PM by JeansSis Star rating. 2376 posts Send private message

JeansSis´s avatar

This message was last edited by JeansSis on 5/17/2007.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

car breakdown insurance - 6 posts
Welcome home Janice - 23 posts
Employees! - 35 posts
To become a resident or not - 11 posts
healthcare in spain - 1 posts
moving to spain - 4 posts
London Members Meet - 3 posts
land boundary - 1 posts
Shipping FROM Spain - 0 posts
To use a solicitor/gestoria or not!!!!! - 24 posts
healthcare in spain. - 1 posts
BUYING A NAVE (AGRICULTURAL BUILDING) - 3 posts
Parcels delivery - 3 posts
Just back from spain - current progress - 3 posts
Agent - 2 posts
english films/cinema - 1 posts
My New Home - 9 posts
Agents - 1 posts
sports thread uk football - 2 posts
Has anyone else completed here ? - 5 posts
Estate Agents in spain? - 2 posts
Update on Phase 4 - 22nd october. - 2 posts
ISA's and Spanish Tax - 3 posts
Zurgena, Costa Almeria - 1 posts
Is there anyone out there who is living in the Altea region,north of Alicante - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 31

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x