Spanish SIP card

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 May 2008 12:00 AM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar
Can anyone help. At the present time I am a UK resident but I spend quite a bit of the year in my spanish apartment. Could I still apply for a sip card on this basis. If so what would I need to take to our local medical centre in order to be issued with the card.Even though I am not resident I still have a padron.My  OH  and I are 59 and 61 years old.

GYPSY

Like 0      
01 May 2008 2:54 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
If you spend over 183 days a year in Spain you must apply for residency, (you are actually classed as resident) in which case you'd have access to a SIP card. You don't get a SIP card unless resident.

Like 0      
01 May 2008 3:41 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

although you can get a SIP card without having residencia,you will just need a Spanish  social security number.

I actually got my SIP card instantly whilst still waiting for my residencia.

While i am on about residencia,i took someone to do it on Tuesday at Orihuela,it is so easy now,you usually have to wait approx 8 weeks for the certificate but i got lucky on the day and they walked out with their residencia on the same day.

Its a myth that its rteally hard and you need loads of documents.

On the first occasion you need your passport.

On the second occasion you need passport copies,two completed forms and your NIE,easy peasy...

Like 0      
01 May 2008 4:03 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

hi morerosado,

We do not spend more than 183 days in Spain, BUT we know of

quite a few people over here who are not resident but they

still have a sip card.!!!!!!!!!!!

GYPSY

Like 0      
01 May 2008 4:17 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Gypsy

We are non residents who don't spend anything like the 183 days annually in Spain either). We signed on The Padron at Guardamar & a couple of years later on (recently it was) we had a letter advising us that we hadn't collected our SIP card.  We had problems understanding the whole content of the letter but it seemed to give instructions on how to obtain it, according to friends who understood Spanish. However, we spoke with friends Karensun (on here) & her OH & her OH said we were not entitled, as we were not resident. Now I know a non resident in La Mata had a medical problem so he went to his local medical centre for help. He was asked to sign something which he understood was for a temporary SIP card which he was to go back for later, though he opted not to.

We do not spend more than 183 days in Spain, BUT we know of quite a few people over here who are not resident but they still have a sip card.!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should enquire of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I hear differing accounts. I'll leave this to others.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 5/1/2008.

Like 0      
01 May 2008 4:33 PM by Gypsy Star rating in south shields/formen.... 206 posts Send private message

Gypsy´s avatar

Hi Morerosado,

thanks for reply, will ask around our village for advice.

GYPSY

Like 0      
01 May 2008 5:04 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Please come back & let me know, am interested myself, Gypsy.

Like 0      
12 Jun 2014 10:05 PM by arif029 Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Against forum rules **

This message was last edited by eos_moderators on 6/13/2014 6:06:00 PM.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2014 1:15 AM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

A SIP card was for the medico. The last post was 2008.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2014 9:51 AM by mariedav Star rating in Ciudad Quesada. 1222 posts Send private message

It's a Spam post. They've hit several other threads and have been reported.

Like 0      
17 Oct 2014 2:24 PM by compaid Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

The info is out of date re SIP cards.Since 2012

If you do not pay into Social you do not have right to SIP unless you are over 65 and have submitted the UK/Spain reciprication retirement forms. (Excluding holiday makers etc on UK cover)

You can still obtain a SIP if you are resident prior to 24 April 2014 providing you have income below 100K, No job in UK, letter of Spanish leglislation from UK Overseas stating that you are not entitled to healthcover in UK and not on Social benifits.Can proove you were resident before April 2014 and EU citizen. Take these to INSS office and state Personas sin recursos. You must also have no Special Benefit payments coming to you such as unemployment. Worth taking your passport, ID card, tax returns and proff of any income to INSS as well.

After 2012 this rule no longer applies so it only applies to cover the law as it was prior to the change. Spanish law cannot be applied retrospective when we were SIP covered.

This mainly applies to early retirees.

I also believe that if you are on unemployment benefit you are still covered on SIP if the benefits have exhausted.

Finally INSS letter etc when received is taken to Local Salud for card.

Hope that helps.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2014 9:25 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

A bit off thread apologies but........

Scenario

Living in Spain have, NIE, residencia (as it is known), on Padron, EU citizen, never worked in Spain (for whatever reason),under retirement age(mid 40's), do not claim any benefits from UK or Spain and have been living on savings or supported by a partner now split up / divorced.

Now to get a job in Spain you need a social security number - fact

So whilst looking for work and decide to regsiter and get a social security number in preparation for obtaining a job would you qualify for a SIP card once you are registered (you will not qualify for benefits).

Seems resonable to me that you woudl be given a SIP card as a job seeking resdient of Spain.

So is this a solution for early retirees to get a SIP card - register look for work (not much chance of finding work) etc.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2014 10:46 AM by compaid Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

It may be possible to register as a job seeker to get the SIP, a complication is if you receive a private pension or income before you are 65. I cannot remeber exact figure but I think its more than €650 pm. You are considered not able to receive any unemployment benefits. Not sure how that would play out.

Like 0      
18 Oct 2014 11:10 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

compaid

fair comment

what if you have no pension or income and never paid into the Spanish system would registering with social secruity entitle you to a SIP card, no benefits would be claimable or could you?

Example (something similar has just happend to a friend)

Husband works in UK and returns to Spain at weekends-  non resident. Wife and kids residents in spain they get health care via S1 (fromally E106 / E109 not sure which one) based on husband working in UK. No benefits given or asked for in either UK or Spain (probably do not qualify)

Husband and wife get divorced he stays in UK and she decides to continue living in Spain. Wife no longer gets health care via S1

As the wife never worked in Spain and now needs to get health care / SIP card for her and kids. If she registers with social security as suggested to get ready when / if she finds a job. Will they get a SIP card?

Like 0      
18 Oct 2014 11:27 AM by compaid Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I think she would not get a SIP unless she coould proove that she was resident prior to the 2012 April changes.Then she applies as personas sin recurso (a person with no income). They also may reject SIP if she cannot show any Spanish tax returns Modelo 100.

They basically shut the door after 2012 on handing out SIP cards unless you are over 65 (UK reciprical agreement docs required E121) or paying into system either via work or the voluntary scheme. The also shut off the cards without sending any notification to the holders. So you find out you have no medical cover as they take you into theatre !

Some have voiced that the voluntary scheme is actually more expensive than private health cover, but they ignore the fact that its unlimited unlike the private cover. Think its about €100 pm

Like 0      
18 Oct 2014 12:04 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

It's 60 euros per person per month , and 175  over 65, which could be a problem for those where the state pension  age has been raised.

This message was last edited by camposol on 18/10/2014.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2014 11:49 AM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

compaid the E121 was discontinued sometime ago and replaced with the S1

The S1 also encompasses the old E106 & E109 and as far as I understand this change was made across all EU / EEA countries for commonality

Like 1      
19 Oct 2014 12:59 PM by compaid Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Not possible to receive a SIP on this basis as you are still UK resident. The UK EHIC card is what you require from UK. It covers you for 3-5 years. You present this card when you require treatment. You may have to wait to see a doctot as a visitor. Keep all receipts.It is pointed out that the E121 is now the S1 card. Sorry for any errors.

This message was last edited by compaid on 19/10/2014.

Like 0      
19 Oct 2014 1:38 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Compaid the S1 is for residents who are either

1. UK Citizens retired and resident in Spain or any other EU/EEA country (formally E121)

2. Families (dependants) of a UK citizen working in UK and paying UK taxes, NI etc (formally E106 / E109)

It will no longer cover early retirees since, I think, July 2014 

Link

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-in-spain

extract

~~If you are a worker seconded to Spain, or the family member of a someone making UK national insurance contributions, contact HMRC to see if you have entitlement to an S1 form (previously an E106 or E109). Once issued, register the S1 form with your local INSS office    , before you register with your local GP surgery.

Like 2      
21 Oct 2017 11:26 AM by DuncanThickett Star rating. 80 posts Send private message

Old thread but new question.

What nationality wife is eligible for a ‘’dependant S1 form’’ from DWP when British husband reaches state pension age, only British, only EU or includes non EU?.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

uk or spanish mortgage??? - 15 posts
rental agencies costa del sol - 0 posts
Has anyone got refund? - 2 posts
Time stands still...in Manilva - 9 posts
mobile home information please - 5 posts
Setting up a spanish will - 32 posts
ClairH - 5 posts
Furniture Plus Spain - 3 posts
nannette - 1 posts
set up fees for mortgage - 3 posts
The NEW forum rules !!! - 9 posts
NEW : Abbey Zero Credit Card, NO foreign exchange fees for goods OR cash - 0 posts
WHO PAYS THE HIGHEST COMMUNITY FEES - 25 posts
La Vizcaronda - 2 posts
Grupo Urbasa - 2 posts
Sun Loungers - 2 posts
hello from portsmouth - 2 posts
Good deal or not, advice please. - 4 posts
Torrevieja information - 9 posts
Can anyone help - 0 posts
The campaign to clean up Orihuela Costa has begun - 0 posts
Driving & consequences of doing wrong. - 5 posts
Bringing in excess tobacco from Gibralta - help please! - 9 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM LET IN CONDADO - 4 posts
want long term rental in puerto lumbreres - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x