Bringing in excess tobacco from Gibralta - help please!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by robinsonp Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Could someone help me please as I am worried sick.  I went to Gibralta earlier on in the year and brought out 2 extra packets of tobacco and did not declare them.  The Customs stopped me and I paid the duty for them.  I gave them my apartment address and I have not been out to Spain since.  My Solicitor contacted me last week to say that they have received notification from the Customs Office that I have been smuggling and I can pay 600 euros fine or appeal.  This was a terrible shock as I had never done this type of thing before and did not realise the seriousness of it.  Would it be best to just pay the fine or would it be best to get my Solicitor to fight it for me although I are worried how much all this will cost.  I have the receipt from the Customs Office to say that I paid the duty.  My Solicitor seems to be very slow in sorting this out and I have to keep ringing her.  I would be grateful of any advice.

Worried

Like 0      
28 Apr 2008 9:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I am worried sick 

I think you know the answer. Pay the 600 euros fine & don't risk it again.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 1:20 PM by Sonia El Star rating in Wales / Carvajal, F.... 212 posts Send private message

I'm curious how you got caught with excess tobacco.  We were over in Gib last week and for once our car was not stopped or searched but we think it may have been because we put everything in the boot of a very small Kia Picanto. In the past the searches have been very rudimentary and no-one's actually counted the tobacco or alcohol or searched in cases / bags.

Does anyone know if there are any tips on how likely you are to be searched? We don't smoke and only bought a pack of cigarettes for a friend but we bought some cheap alcohol. Mainly used the trip to stock up on M&S jams & marmalades and some decent UK toilet paper (from Morrisons) and because we wanted to use up the petrol which we'd been charged 45€ for by Auriga.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 4:00 PM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

The searches seem to be quite random.  I never took a car in, used to leave my car in La Linea and go over on foot.  Occasionally I would be asked to show the contents of carrier bags, etc., other times waved through.  My son's friend got stopped though and had to pay the duty on a bottle of voddy, he paid and didn't hear any more....

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 8:06 PM by robinsonp Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

Hi Sonia

My husband and I had both been in on foot and went on a trip to see the monkeys.  We then went back to the car as we were coming up to the time that we had paid on the parking meter.  My husband then said that he needed to get some Tobacco for a couple of his friends so we went back in and purchased it and looked round a few of the shops and had a drink etc.  As we were near to the time that the meter would be running out my husband ran on in front and left me with the tobacco.  I must admit that as we had 3 packs I did panic and left one in my bag and then went into the toilet at the airport and put the others round the top of my trousers and pulled my jumper over the top.  When I went back through Customs the same lady was at the desk and she recognised me.  I think I must have looked guilty because even though I only had one pack in my bag she made me go in the back and take my jumper off.  I was absolutely terrified and as they only spoke Spanish I could not understand them.  My husband was worried where I had got to and came back in to find me.  They kept me there for about an hour and then made me pay the duty for the 2 packs which were over the limit and gave me a receipt for the duty.  They asked for my address in Spain which I gave them.  I thought that would be the last I heard of it.  This happened at New Year and when I went out a couple of weeks ago there was a special delivery postcard in my box.  I went to La Cala Post Office but they said that after 7 days the letter had gone back to the sender.  I left the paperwork that they gave me with my property management lady and she said she would sort it out for me.  I was amazed when I then returned to the UK to find that the solicitor who had handled the purchase of my apartment had sent me an e/mail and that the Customs had written to her to give me three options i.e. pay 600 euros, appeal or If they do not hear from me they will seize my Spanish bank account.

My Spanish lawyer is looking into this for me but after 2 weeks I have still not heard from her what is going to happen.  I constantly phone her and e/mail her but at the moment I am no further forward.  I would contact the Customs Office myself but do not know how to do so as their website is in Spanish.

Like 0      
29 Apr 2008 9:44 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi robinsonp

I'm wondering if it had got something to do with the fact that you didn't have three in your bag (for them to see easily if / when they checked) but two up your jumper !! I find it amazing though that the customs have made such an issue of so little but I guess their rules are not there to be broken & you may just have to accept defeat on this. Too much is at stake. I do sympathise with you & understand you're scared about the consequences of your actions. The customs & excise really should be after the big guys who smuggle lots & often, not those who take the occasional extra box (or two) of 200.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 9:27 AM by VickiT Star rating in Bournemouth. 121 posts Send private message

My personal view is - with fags so cheap in Spain, why take the risk?  As a smoker, I would, of course get a carton in Gibraltar and save a few euros, but I'd never bother trying to smuggle out more.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 12:02 PM by Karensun Star rating in Orihuela Costa. 1474 posts Send private message

Karensun´s avatar

Come on robinsonp...............................you know you were in the wrong...................and it really doesn't matter what anyone else does ! You can't expect to get away with tobacco stuffed down your trousers and you knew when you put it there it was wrong !

SO........................bite the bullet.....and pay up.............and don't do it again !!

Now a non-smoker !  

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 3:05 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
There is a long history behind the seriousness of smuggling cigarettes out of Gibraltar.  It used to be a massive problem a few years ago when EVERYONE was doing it and the punishment started to become severe.

There are now strict times when you can take cigarettes across too.  I think you can't take them across between midnight and 9am, but not 100% sure of the times.

I think you will need to pay the fine, especially if you were hiding the extra cartons and not just declaring them as you went through.  They will get their money one way or another, often directly from  your account.

Those will probably be the most expensive fags you've ever bought!  (Sorry!)

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 3:09 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LOOKING FOR LONG TERM LET IN CONDADO - 4 posts
want long term rental in puerto lumbreres - 0 posts
Big Thanks to Sharon W - www.themortgageservicegroup.com - 13 posts
old story Community debtors - 13 posts
Alcossebre, Costa Azahar - 1 posts
news letter? - 1 posts
Solar water heaters - 27 posts
Speedin Fine. 'HELP' - 6 posts
Leaving the United Kingdom, tax rebate - 8 posts
Sunflower oil scare in Spain - 1 posts
Buying in Polaris World - Terrazas de la Torre - 5 posts
Have you or are you completing soon - would like to hear from you - 2 posts
Baby passport - 3 posts
What is my right - sky dish installation - 8 posts
Hand baggage rules at Gatwick Airport - 14 posts
Community Meeting - 0 posts
Do you require assistance in increasing your rental revenue?, we can help - 0 posts
Hi Everybody, hoping to move into new villa in Lorca shortly - 3 posts
Taking on Developers' Mortgage - 2 posts
Swimming pool colour - 4 posts
And so the silly season begins - 4 posts
Sky Installation - Altos de Princess Kristina, Duquesa - 3 posts
Spanish Noises - 2 posts
THE CIRCUS IS STILL IN TOWN (FUETE DE PIEDRA ) - 21 posts
BANK VALUATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x