Setting up a spanish will

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2008 12:00 AM by Duesy Star rating in West Yorkshire and H.... 21 posts Send private message

Duesy´s avatar

Hi

we've just bought and have been advised to set up a spanish will to ensure there are no problems should anything happen to either of us.

Has anyone done this and can they recommend a solicitor and how much are we looking at ?

The solicitor we used to complete has quoted 180euros which seems steep ?

thanks in advance for any advice

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 7:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Duesy

Contact Glyn Moran, works from Jennifer Cunningham's office in Benijofar.

http://www.legalandfiscal.com/index_files/page0007.htm

He seems to be very reasonable for most legal stuff. He posts on EOS too. Many of our members in the area are using him for wills & fiscal duties.

Email info@legalandfiscal.com

Just seen 145€ each mentioned in another forum at Dabai on the front in Torrevieja opposit Real Club Nautico www.dabai.es Tel 965713685

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 7:47 PM by Duesy Star rating in West Yorkshire and H.... 21 posts Send private message

Duesy´s avatar

cheers mate - and just around the corner from us

thanks

Like 0      
30 Apr 2008 10:47 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Duesy, Glyn isn't permanently in Jennifer's office, he moves from office to office so you'll need to email him to arrange to see him.

Like 0      
27 May 2008 3:40 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Does anyone know of a law firm in Duquesa area that does wills.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
05 Jun 2008 3:38 PM by Firefly Star rating in Manchester/Javea. 56 posts Send private message

I have just been quoted 250 Euro (complete with taxes and notary fees), to set up a Spanish will.  That seems over the top, or am I being too "sensitive" or is that the going rate. If I am been taken advantage of does anyone know a good lawyer up in Javea?

Like 0      
06 Jun 2008 10:07 AM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
Hi Firefly - I paid 160 euros a few weeks ago in Torrevieja so I'm sure you can find cheaper!  Good luck.

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 3:32 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

Does anyone know anybody reasonable around Aguilas?  Also should something happen to me does two thirds of the property go automatically to the children.  I would prefer it goes to my husband. 

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 4:20 PM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

Maria De Castro from this site done ours, she was great, all we had to do was take it to the notary and it was done very quick.

If I die it goes to my husband and the same if he dies it goes to me. then when we are both gone it goes to the children.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
22 Aug 2009 9:52 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Mojito:

That rule of the thirds would apply if you were an spanish national. If you have a foreign nationality, Spanish Inheritance law does not apply but the Inheritance Law of your nationality ( even if you are a Spanish resident of course). 

The fact of doing a  Spanish will is just to the effects of easier and quickier probate procedures for the adjudication of your spanish assets.

Regarding Spanish Inheritance tax: If you are a spanish resident your whole patrimony , all your assets at the moment of your death, worlwide will be taxed by the Spanish Inheritance taxer, if you are not a spanish resident just those assets located in Spain will be subject to Spanish Inheritance Tax.

Hope this clarifies a bit!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 1:36 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

leema, sorry it doesn't sound the most efficient way (Tax wise) of setting up a will in Spain. Surely it would be more tax efficient if your halves were left to the children? Otherwise you have to pay IT when one of you departs, that half will be subject to IT when the second goes and it passes to your children. Feels and sounds expensive or have I misunderstood how it works? Kevin

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 8:17 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

An answer for kev2006n ( below in bold green):

Surely it would be more tax efficient if your halves were left to the children? 

If the house was the habitual dwelling of the couple: a reduction of 95%-99% on the taxable amount  will apply.  

If not:  leaving the house directly to the childres is more tax wise for the spouse but...the  property will get into a co-ownership of many ( or at least of some), with its attached inconviniences and risks.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 9:34 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

I thought that would be the case. Hopefully when there are only children involved the risks are not that great.

We bought a property last year as a holiday home so it would not be our habitual dwelling. We've put the house in my sons name and we have the right to use it for the rest of our lives. He has done a Spanish will leaving the property to his brother. Hopefully that avoids paying inheritance tax both in Spain and the UK when we die! Although it would not be our problem! lol!

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 10:31 AM by leema Star rating in Washington Tyne & We.... 655 posts Send private message

We have made a seperate will in England, our Spanish will is only for the property in Spain.

Maureen & Dennis

Coto Real

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 2:04 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Further answers for you kev2006n:

Hopefully that avoids paying inheritance tax both in Spain and the UK when we die!

It will depend on if you are Spanish residents or not at the moment of your death and on if byu that moment  you have assets both in Spain and the UK or just in Spain.

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 3:01 PM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Sorry Maria, but as the Spanish property is in my sons name there should have no liability on the death of myself and my wife?

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 5:36 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Kev2006n:

Oh no! Apologies as I did not read the post correclty or read it with an absent mind and interpreted that you have made a will to and  have named your son as heir.

Yes, if your son is the owner, he does not need to worry on your ( his parents) inheritance taxes regarding the house, obviously.

Putting the house into your heirs´ name is a great idea  in a pacific family climate.

Best wishes

Lawyer

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Aug 2009 10:37 PM by tazwildman Star rating in Germany . 14 posts Send private message

Hi there we have property in spain but we have not made a will yet.  how do i go about making a will in spain? i have a solictor in spain but i feel they rip us off lots of times on certain things.  can you help... we was told the price is 300 euros each from our solictor???

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 1:40 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

I paid about that for mine. A spanish will is more complicated as it has to be notarized and this is entered in the registry of wills which of course costs a few euros.

A handwritten will is not acceptable.

Check with a few lawyers for the costings but you will find similar prices. It has to be in Spanish but ensure you have an official english translation, I paid more for that and mine is in both languages and registered.

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
24 Aug 2009 1:46 AM by kev2006n Star rating in Sussex and Playa Fla.... 344 posts Send private message

Dear Maria, Thank you for reply. We thought it was a good way to cut out any taxes our children would have to pay. However, I do agree that you must be able to trust your children.

Tazwildman, It may seem a lot of money. However, there does seem to be a number of steps to follow. At least by paying a lawyer you will know that everything has been put into place to follow your wishes. Just make sure you get everything in so that you do not need to revamp it in a few years time.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

ClairH - 5 posts
Furniture Plus Spain - 3 posts
nannette - 1 posts
set up fees for mortgage - 3 posts
The NEW forum rules !!! - 9 posts
NEW : Abbey Zero Credit Card, NO foreign exchange fees for goods OR cash - 0 posts
WHO PAYS THE HIGHEST COMMUNITY FEES - 25 posts
La Vizcaronda - 2 posts
Grupo Urbasa - 2 posts
Sun Loungers - 2 posts
hello from portsmouth - 2 posts
Good deal or not, advice please. - 4 posts
Torrevieja information - 9 posts
Can anyone help - 0 posts
The campaign to clean up Orihuela Costa has begun - 0 posts
Driving & consequences of doing wrong. - 5 posts
Bringing in excess tobacco from Gibralta - help please! - 9 posts
LOOKING FOR LONG TERM LET IN CONDADO - 4 posts
want long term rental in puerto lumbreres - 0 posts
Big Thanks to Sharon W - www.themortgageservicegroup.com - 13 posts
old story Community debtors - 13 posts
Alcossebre, Costa Azahar - 1 posts
news letter? - 1 posts
Solar water heaters - 27 posts
Speedin Fine. 'HELP' - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 33

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x