ELECTRICAL GOODS

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 Feb 2008 11:40 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Hi Semijubilada,Thanks for that bit of information yes mine is the one with a grill and griddle so that is worth taking then.  I never use it here so I might as well take it,  I  meant  George foreman not Ben I am cracking up.   But perphaps I will have a look at the latest one as well that Noreen is talking about,  I hope my suitcases will take all this weight.  Oh well never mind.      Pat

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 12:58 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Morerosado,

I don't know how you or anyone else has misconstrude what I have said, but nonetheless misconstrued I am.

First off I will appologise for upsetting you and anyone else on this forum, and indeed anyone reading posts on this forum as a guest. It was not my intention.

I must admit, I don't understand that by coming to the aid of a young Spanish lady in her own country, and stopping what could only be catergorsied as 'assault', can e construde as myself being as you say?

With regards to the person in question that I felt an uncontrollable urge to speak my mind to, which I had never done before or since, he was a tall, large man with muscles in his eybrows that were bigger than those in my arms, however he was being most obnoxious, contemptable and foul mouthed. The poor girl started to cry and shrink away from him and I could not control myself. I wasn't the only person who felt that way, but I was the 1st person to voice thier opinions over his disgracful behaviour.

Anyways, people who know me also know that I'm not racist. However they do know that I can't stand large men going around bullying other people in public. It's pathetic what they do. With regards to swearing, yes I must admit that at times foul language does utter forth from my lips, I'm not proud of that fact, far from it - but it happens on the odd occasion.

What I was trying to say is "whether you visit another country on holiday or are living in a foreign country, you should respect the nationals of that country and other countries and not be racist. If you cannot make yourself understood, it's not necasarily the person(s) to whom you are trying to converse with!"

At the end of the day I'm not saying you have to speak or even understand another language just because you are in a foreign country, however what I am saying is you should not loose your temper nor should you be racist.

What I am saying is that those that are 'British' and are racist should stay at home!!! And you can quote me on that.

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 2/5/2008.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 12:59 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Pat, take it as hand baggage.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 6:42 AM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Pat

Our one was about £79 in Argos but that was a couple of years ago so they are probably cheaper now.

It is much better with he removable plates as you can wash them properly.

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 8:07 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
You're up early, Noreen. Good morning.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 8:57 AM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Morning Morerosado,

I am with you (mostly) on this one and must say we find that checkouts in supermarkets are the worst examples of this, but TecNoApe also has a point that many Brits who can't be bothered to adapt can be rather boorish and I would applaud him for standing up against this sort of behaviour.  We find that assisitants in the small shops who depend far more directly upon sales for their income are much more pleasant.  There is also a Bricolaje not far from Carrefore where the assistants take the biscuit for rudeness, but then again, it's their country and serving in a shop all day at one task must be pretty mind blowing.

Having said that, I wonder if you picked up on the treatment of Lewis Hamilton at the practice session for the Spanish GP yesterday.  I would not have thought the Spanish particularly racist although certainly not as PC as we are in the UK, but this really was disgusting behaviour.  However, I did note that our "Sports" Minister immediately admonished the Spanish government, which they have studiously avoided doing over the threat to disposess thousands of UK (and Spanish) owners of homes in Spain in spite of public outcry (you have to be famous or rich to swing any influence with the Brown Bunch!

Anyhow, this will be my last post for a while as we leave for the Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry this pm and hope to be in Rojales by the afternoon of the 7th (weather permitting).  We are looking forward to a bit of sun, particularly as it's very gray here today.  We are taking a laptop and hope to find a cafe with wifi as we haven't got telephone at our place yet.  If we can, we will try some posts from there.

Mike

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 9:44 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Apology accepted TechNoApe.  I asked a question in Carrefour in a pleasant, friendly & quiet manner & got (what I consider) disrespect in return. There is no way I'm rude. In fact I'm the kind of person that goes the extra mile for anyone. I would've felt exactly the same as you in the situation you told us about. There is no call for it. Some do feel the need to be darnright impossible though.

I was making the point that there should be more English speaking staff in a massive store such as Carrefour in Torrevieja where so many Brits go to shop. Regardless of what anyone says we have invested millions in Spain & it is unbelievable to me that basic English isn't a requirement of the higher ranked staff there, who others can take us to for information regarding buying things (other than milk & eggs). Anyway rant over, ok ?

However, I am reminded of friends of ours who live (as non residents) a few doors away in Spain. We see them only rarely (sadly as they're great company) & they live permanently in Holland. Peter is Dutch, Teresa is Spanish. They were over at ours for the evening & we'd drunk a bit.  Peter can drink lots without him coming over as drunk & this evening was no different. In fact he gets funnier the more he drinks. Conversation turned to us going up to Elche tax office & the "fun" we'd had. We had written down what we wanted but, with no Spanish, we floundered a bit though came away with what we had gone for. Peter seemed to suddenly turn from the funny guy he'd been & he was saying, such as yourself, TechNoApe (& others) that it was up to us to speak Spanish as we were in Spain. I suddenly felt threatened in my own home by this conversation & wished the subject to be changed fast ! Anyway I drew breath & asked Peter if he spoke Spanish & to my amazement, he went all bashful & said "no"! This surprised me as Teresa, his wife, is Spanish & they've been married ten years. We had heard that when they met she couldn't speak Dutch & he couldn't speak Spanish & they'd had problems conversing. Anyway I just brought the conversation to a swift close after laughing & saying "the answer is to marry a Spanish wife then, Peter !" 

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 10:56 AM by semijubilada Star rating in London/Torrevieja. 1052 posts Send private message

I've thought about getting the one with the removable plates but I've got the cleaning of the grill down to a fine art now.

Also here we have a problem with our drains so I'm very careful about oil getting into the drains.  So I don't think I'd save time because I'd still be wiping them down with kitchen roll before I put them in the sink.

You can do a good healthy breakfast on the grill/griddle everything except the eggs.  The picture on the box shows eggs being cooked on the griddle but it is a bit of a disaster as they keep slipping down to the bottom.

All this talk about communicating in English/Spanish has made me rethink my own situation and how I can resolve it.

I've learnt some Spanish but couldn't hold a conversation.  I cannot think in Spanish so if I get flustered all knowledge contained in my pea brain disappears so I'm going to try something out to see if it works.

From the English Bookstore in Torrevieja I bought a laminated card which has shopping items, veg, fruit, spices and a few helpful phrases.  It's small enough to go into a purse so I'm going to try and make up something similar with phrases I might need when I'm shopping.

Hopefully anyone seeing me use these cards will know to speak slowly back to me so that I can pick up the gist of what they are saying.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 1:12 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Thanks for that Noreen, yes you was up bright and early.    Yes more good idea about the hand luggage everytime we go out their seems to be more to take I thought it would get less but it seems to increase.         I must say I like going to the local shops in the village they are so friendly and at least we are giving them the trade.      But we do use the supermarkets for things we cannot buy in the village.    I do try and speak some Spanish very little but they seem to understand me.                 Yes I was surprised about the treatment of Lewis Hamilton from the Spanish I did not think they were racist.     Pat

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 1:57 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
We took a electric food steamer as hand baggage. We, & others we had spoken to, had tried unsuccessfully to find one in shops in Spain on earlier trips, though afterwards were told of shops that had them. We also took a pack of four of those wine glasses that hold a full 70cl bottle. (Well, it was a novelty which soon wore off ) I fell up the steps to the plane holding onto the wine glasses which I'd packed well. They escaped breakage but I was rather bruised as I'd fallen to one side then to the other of the metal steps. I'd put my spare hand out to help me so I had a cut hand. I was more concerned about the glasses. I've heard people claim they've taken small TV's on as hand baggage. Unless they were LCD ones I fail to see how as they are far too large to go up into the overhead lockers, surely ?? I was looking at our 14" portable in kitchen. Yes, BIG !

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 3:14 PM by conrad Star rating in Milton Keynes and Dr.... 298 posts Send private message

conrad´s avatar
They sell the gril and griddle one in ElCorte Ingles in Cartagena it is the smaller one of the 2 types

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 3:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

George Foreman products at Argos IN HERE

Buy through Quidco & get 6% off these at John Lewis. Free delivery too.

Compare prices

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/5/2008.

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 4:08 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

HI More you are a star  Thanks for that  Pat

Like 0      
05 Feb 2008 5:49 PM by young Star rating in Stockport/Las Siete .... 70 posts Send private message

We bought all our electrical goods in Spain, rather than change plugs etc. all from the Carrefore near Torrevieja, when we completed  last September. I agree with Morerosado (hope I've spelt it right,) when we returned for our first visit we found that the DVD player didn't work. We tried all the usual things different DVDs, bought a cleaning DVD nothing. So we took it back with the guarentee and asked for a replacement. We explained the situation but that I couldn't find the receipt, probably back in Ingleterra,  the answer was as I didn't have the receipt nothing could be done. I explained the guarentee was for two years but their excuse was that as I couldn't prove when I purchased it then I wasn't covered. I asked them tif they could check when they had first stocked that particular player  and suddenly she couldn't understand what I was saying.

I speak a little Spanish, I had lessons before we purchased, but not enough to insist on my consumer rights. Needless to say I won't be shopping there again.

Like 0      
06 Feb 2008 6:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

CARREFOUR CUSTOMER CARE

Well, well, well. LOOK at what More has found in another forum, local to us. A few replies to it too.

hi to everyone.just thought you might like to here this one.
we brought a t.v. from carryfour 9 months ago and guess what!!!!!the picture started to go wrong.
o well never mind its under the 2 year guarantee,so off we trot on 6th  january to carryfour with our t.v set only to be told we have to take it to the workshop in torre,so off we trot and after spending some considerable time parking,finally arrived.we were given a receipt and told they will ring us when it was ready.well its now february so thought i would get my spanish neighbour to ring as we would not be able to understand his spanish.and my neighbour was told that the guarantee was invalid as the tv had been dropped!!!!!!!!!!well you could have knocked me down with a feather.if i wanted it repaired i would have to pay more than the t.v was worth.now this little repair shop where you go in torre.sends the tvs to the manufacturers.so we trot down to carrrpoor and after many discussions with the girls on the desk get to speak to the manager of some sorts who incidently was helpful and polite but he points out to us they had a hungarian guy in xmas and the same thing happened to him,well how strange i am now thinking!!!he tried his best but came back with the reply that it is up to us to take it up with the repair shop in torre,they are nothing to do with him or the manufacturers,they only sell them and as soon as anything is sold unless it is taken back within 15 days their contract with the customer is finished.now as far as i am concerned they stamp my receipt and i beleive i have a contract with them for the 2 year guarantee!!!! if they are nothing to do with the repair shop why did i have to take it to them and not the manufacturer,if anybody had dropped the t.v it was when they transported it from the repair shop to the manufacturers but how the hell  do you prove that,and of course the workshop in torre does not want to know.well all i can say is another english person conned yet again!!!what annoys me most is there is not a thing we can do about it,well there is just dont shop in carrypoor unless you know different........

So sorry you have had such a bad experience, no excuse is there  Angry  Someone once told me if it needs a plug, never get it from Carrefour ...  At least you have posted on here which will be a warning to others.  Wish I could add something constructive to help but I can't  Angry Hope you manage to get something sorted soon!

I am sorry this happened to you  and, of course as everyone here knows, this is not unusual – it’s 'the norm'. I actually don't know anyone who hasn't experienced the uselessness of so called guarantees here in Spain, particularly at this store.

Sorry can never recommend Carepoor...

When we bought we had three weeks vacation which was to buy our property and kit out the house.  We went to Carrepoor for all our white goods, garden furniture etc.   We must have spent about 1400 pounds.  They promised to deliver on a certain day, when they failed they promised another day, when that failed we gave them a further chance.  When that failed we were mad!

OH went to the Customer Care counter while I filled up a trolly with shopping.  Eventually I went to the counter to find OH and got greated with 'You can put that bl**** lot back we're not buying another thing here!"  Whoops, he was cross.  Quickly discovering the situation, I found the Electrical Dept Manager hiding behind a wall while his young and inexperienced staff was trying to help OH who was now demanding his money back.

Of course the Manager didn't want to have to explain to his seniors why he failed to deliver the stock and why this angry man wanted his money back!

Eventually two security chappies arrived, one male one female and we were asked to follow them (obviously the female security bod was for me and the male for OH).  The time had now gone past 9 at night and the shop was trying to close.  We were taken to the front customer service desk and our money was handed out to us in cash (despite us initially paying by credit card).  The receipt was ripped out of my hand and we were shown to the door........... Not a single 'Sorry' did we hear. Wonderful customer service!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Aldea Beach Manilva - 0 posts
Import duties - 0 posts
the unknown - 14 posts
It's Starting!!!! - 17 posts
Mediterranean sea levels are rising!! - 2 posts
Bristol airport charging for trolleys !!! - 0 posts
Embalse De La Vinuela, The Dream Nightmares Are Made Of. - 1 posts
RENTAL - 1 posts
moving in march do i bring cot and high chair or get new - 4 posts
Downturn in price - 57 posts
Torremendo (near San Miguel de Salinas/Torrevieja - Alicante) - Rubbish Dump - 2 posts
selling your property - 2 posts
my property - 1 posts
Ikea Malaga - 4 posts
For Justin re "selling your property" board - 0 posts
Off Plan La Recolletta - 6 posts
nuerva ribera beach club - 1 posts
Estudia Espana... cheap Spanish courses? - 5 posts
Easyjet BRILLIANT deal - 7 posts
ray and marilyn - 1 posts
Free business cards for your property - 7 posts
First occupation licence - 162 posts
Sold your spanish property and need to get the funds back to the Uk? - 1 posts
Sold Spanish property? Need to get the funds home? Try HiFX - 2 posts
Trackday on 1st of Feb - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 35

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x