Not ANOTHER Trevor McDonald prog ?? YEP !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Just seen this on another forum. Here we go, here we go, here we go ... again !! He did one featuring our urb some time ago, I recall.

Have you been a victim of crime here in Spain?
Are you contemplating returning to the UK because of the crime here in Spain?
Do you know anyone who has returned to the UK because they have been a victim of crime?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions, The Tonight Programme with Sir Trevor McDonald are going to be filming a programme about crime in Spain in early January and they want to hear from you. Please e-mail 
lisa.keane@itv.com and let her know your story. Round Town News http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/  will be following the filming of the programme

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 9:38 AM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

Hi morerosado

do you think this is good or bad?  In my situation, any  publicity about the fraud/scams/land grab/dodgy agents,  lawyers, coucils, mayors and developers is good news as when it comes to court cases, the more details bought in to the open about the 'bad eggs' the better our chances of justice i feel.  I realise though, for people in a better situation, the bad press is probably very annoying to put it mildy and not wanted. As always, it depends which side of the fence you sit i think? Sadly, if the Spanish justice system wasn't so slow to punish the guilty, there would not be such a call for these programes, but untill then, i hope those people in a nicer situation will sympathise with those of us trying deserately to get justice by having to highlight the bad, in order to get a movement of unity and fair thinking behind us.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 11:24 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi goodstich

Personally I think it's a good thing we are made aware of what's going on. There was another thread Trevor McDonald's disgraceful TV programme which caused a commotion & I guess this one could too.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 12:38 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

morerosado

i agree, i think in the long term anything that helps to weed out the rotton eggs, will benefit everyone. In terms of stopping any more ruination of Spains coastline and re-selling/renting it's so important to get this out in the open.The lowlife responsible obviously wont listen to reason, but when bad publicity is felt in their pockets, i think that will slowly change things. If in future the punishment starts to fit the crime, that will also be an enormous help in turning things around. I hope everyone does whatever they can to try and force change, but i realise it's easy to turn a blind eye if people are not directly effected, but for reasons above, i think that that attitude is a big mistake.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 12:42 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

it's easy to turn a blind eye if people are not directly effected

It is, isn't it, goodstich. There, for the grace of God go I, springs to mind !

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 1:25 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i think you guys are missing the point a little.

The programmes title suggests it will feature Mr and Mrs x who while out shopping had her handbag stolen or left the patio doors open and were burgled.

This is just another PR attempt by the current British governmemnt to convince anyone that is thinking of leaving and taking there tax money with them to Spain that there are nasty people there!!!!!

If it was about the real crooks ie the developers and agents that have taken peoples life savings then fair comment and i would welcome that with open arms,but that would take research and some good journalism,this is just a quick way to fill prime time with more doom and gloom about Spain.

When living in the UK i was burgled twice in the space of six weeks and a friend of mine was stabbed in the street after a night out,i think trevor should get his own house in order before sending his reporters off for their quarterly 2 weeks in the sun.

Return to the UK to avoid crime!!!!! has trevor been outside the gates of his plush detached in suburbia lately?!!!!!!!!!

I have just recieved an written apology form HM Customs and Excise saying that my Banking and personal details have been lost and may have fallen into the hands of the criminal fraternity!!!!! thanks a bunch!!!!! maybe Trevors time would be best served trying to track down where they are and who's fault that was.

The trouble with these programs is that they go looking for bad news and sensationalise people's misfortunes for their own financial gain,good news unfortunately does not boost ratings so i consider trevor and his crew to be mercenaries feeding off the unfortunates.

If they would just do some serious research and actually make a difference by weeding out individuals that have caused so much financial misery then i would take my hat off to them.

All this programme will show is that there are bad people in Spain that will rob you if you do not take care,really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can probably tell i am not a big fan of Trev!!!

Georgia

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 1:36 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And he speaks so highly of you Georgia!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 1:47 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
well,it's hard not to really is it

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 2:18 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You sussed out how to get a cuppa out of your new office toy yet, Georgia ? You said your new office lady was Spanish in one post. She wasn't Spanish, was she ??

08 Oct 2007 10:30 AM

georgia
Star rating
Finca

georgia´s avatar

I'm in Guardamar Del Segura

I've made 646 posts

Send private message to georgia

This post belongs to the following thread: Daya Vieja football match September 8th, 2007

Hi More,

Just found this!!!!!!!!!!!!

We let them win it's good for Anglo-Spanish relations!!!!!!

Thanks for posting the piccys,it was good fun although the national pride was dented slightly!

Back to work now after my brief visit to the UK and found a nice Spanish lady to help with the workload.

Regards

Georgia

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 2:30 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

ah,you mean her accent,she has travelled around quite a lot,she has been back here for over 10 years but has acquired a nice English accent.

Dont need to figure the machine out now as kathryn has taught us how to master the kettle!!!

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 4:58 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

georgia

i know what you mean, but i'd like to see the programme before i start rubbishing it. My comments were really aimed at any prog' highlighting the dreadful situation many people find themselves in  having bought in Spain, due to the lowlife and slow/poor justice which doesn't seem to do much to hinder their dirty deeds. Next year there will be more progs on the mess in Spain and how it affects people. As you say, it would be great if the lowlife could be weeded out and named and shamed. However, If this programme merely serves as a warning to anyone  about security then so what?, if it stops a few being robbed then why not?, we get lots of similar info' on crimewatch and similar, and i'm not about to slag that off for putting the UK in a bad light.

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 6:29 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

This message was last edited by san miguel on 2/4/2008.

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

AND PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH

Like 0      
13 Dec 2007 10:21 PM by goodstich44 Star rating in northampton. 1648 posts Send private message

san miguel

well done for your honesty. Rose coloured spectacles don't help anyone apart from the bad guys.

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 11:58 AM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Its for those reasons I advise people when they insist on ground floor apartments! In spain the spanish would offer less for them but the english love the garden apartment idea!

Security and lightwise they are not the best.

Reja bars are good and prevention is better than cure, in the UK more people whould have security measures, when living there before moving here we were targetted and it turned out to be the next door neighbours kid!!!

There we had barbed wire curled on top of a 7ft high fence to stop intruders getting in! I still feel safer here as it is opportune theives.

When I had the rental buisiness it was one of the first things to advise owners and renters to ensure they locked their doors - double locked even if out on the terrace as its easy to slip the lock, get in and grab money passports cameras etc.

It does happen everywhere and its mainly down to the individuals not being streetwise Im afraid!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 1:01 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 1:37 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

Hi San Miguel,

Grills have been a feature on Spanish property for years well before they were needed to keep expats safe on new urbanisations,you make it sound like everyone in Spain has to bolt the door the minute you walk in and slam the grills shut behind you.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would deny or let anyone think that crime doesn't exist here as that would be pure fantasy,you still have to be very careful and sensible to avoid becoming a victim, on the other hand saying that every new build property will be a victim of crime at some point is taking things to the opposite extreme!

It would be interesting to compare crime rates between the two countries!! i know where i feel safer bringing my children up!!!!

I guess we have to wait for the programme and to see whether it unearths any corruption or concentates on bag snatchers and burglars.

If its the later i think the money could have been better spent researching and revealing the real criminal fraternity.

Georgia

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 3:45 PM by san miguel Star rating. 288 posts Send private message

san miguel´s avatar

STOP CYBER-BULLYING 

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 5:14 PM by xetog Star rating in Wiltshire/holiday ap.... 514 posts Send private message

Hi, I have been following this thread with interest as for some unknown reason I feel much more vulnerable in Spain than I have ever felt in the UK. I'm not sure why that is.

Like Georgia I would be interested to compare crime rates between both countries and hope the programme will try to do that. I also agree that Spain seems a much safer place to bring up children.

But, why don't I feel safe?

So far I have lived all my life in the UK  (60yrs) without having to think too much about personal safety or burglary. I know it exists but it doesn't seem to have been a major feature of my life in our little corner of kent.

Now, in Spain I am having to contemplate BARS on my windowsand GRILLS on my doors. I know it's a cultural thing in Spain but most Brits.insist it's necessary for security reasons. I really don't want to live in a prison and also feel they are a hazard in case of fire.

I do feel that new builds are targetted as every time we go out we hear more tales of woe, doors being kicked in ,purses being stolen at markets etc.

I am aware that these things and worse also happen in the UK but somehow I don't feel like a victim here! Maybe it's because I know the place so well.
Gloria

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 5:43 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Dear San Miguel - I am sorry you have read that slant to my postings - I did mention the opportunist theif I had whilst still living in the UK and it is a FACT people come here thinking its a safer place, they are on holiday mode and that nothing bad will happen to them. I did also state that it is down to the individual IN MY OPINION to be streetwise, people get mugged and raped here as they do around the world!

I have always felt safer here, with only one exeption I can recall in my 13 years here and that was leaving the Banus office at 430am after finally finishing the second catalogue for auction. I was walking amongst the very drunk to get to the carpark and just felt uneasy. Nothing happened and apart form the kids biks being stolen after being left on the front garden, I have luckily never had any crime committed against me or my family.

I do know several families just after arriving from UK to their apartment, in a complex finished 6 months earlier who had their belongings stolen 35 minutes after arriving. Also another who got flagged down in their hire car who had a bag taken from the boot after the guy opened it! Not sure that happens in the UK an awful lot!

New builds are targetted and that is a fact although very sorry I havent the time to find actual statistics, but after 9 year of management business one gets a feel for it!

New complexes were targetted then securyt gets in place and tightened up and the opportunists move to pastures new - this has also been reported in the papers here!

Holidaymakers and residents alike have had things go missing by not double locking the front doors - and yes bars/rejas have been in existance in spain for donkeys years.

It is also a fact that criminals are dealt with more harshly here and dont get their heads stroked for being a victim of their cicumstances! The system here is more of a deterrant!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
14 Dec 2007 6:23 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

The area you live/own in Spain has a lot to do with crime also I think.

Inland, in more remote areas, the incidents of opportunist thieves is less. And other crimes are far and few between.

In fact, many homes do not have bars or grilles on their doors and windows at all.

It is a long standing tradition for the Spanish to have grilles, purely to be able to sleep in the heat with the windows open.

However, it is also true that most remote places keep a large dog chained in the grounds!

In built up areas, the opportunist thief is more prevalant, just as here in the UK, because the pickings are there to be had!

A lot of it is just plain common sense, most targeted people have their holiday heads on and don't think.

I believe that it is the Eastern Europeans who are the main cuprits though, not the Spanish.

Spanish people seem to me, to be very family orientated and as such, their children are brought up to respect other people and hence their property.

Here in the UK, we have seen a sharp decline in family values, giving rise to behaviour that a generation ago was totally unacceptable.

The UK justice system is failing, most offenders getting away with ASBO's or Community service.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime any more. So the offenders will keep on offending.

The police are not respected anymore, therefore society as a whole becomes a law unto itself.

Personally, I would rather be in Spain, where punishment fits the crime and family life is still a big part of children's upbringing.

Where do I feel safer?

Actually, in Spain...............

p.s. sorry I wrote a book on it, got carried away! (not abducted, just carried away!)

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Justin.. bucket's in trouble ! - 1 posts
Spanish need help! - 2 posts
Mansion Club Marbella - Long Term Rental Required by Professional Couple - 0 posts
Mansion Club Marbella - Long Term Rental required by Professional Couple - 3 posts
Mansion Club - looking for Long Term Rental / Professional Couple. - 0 posts
Month early - 2 posts
Using Foreign Exchange Companies when setting up abroad - 3 posts
Renting out property in Zeniamar Orihuela Costa - 1 posts
Multi trip holiday insurance - 21 posts
Some new features please? - 10 posts
Pueblo Canario Corralejo - 3 posts
Ikea - Alicante - 4 posts
Hand Luggage - 3 posts
swap your uk property with my costa del sol app - 0 posts
apartment - 2 posts
New Year Celebrations - 18 posts
Snag List / Insurance / tips on completion - 0 posts
Alta Entinas update - 5 posts
After Completion Payments - 4 posts
Can anyone recommend an agent for selling in El Algar - 1 posts
Property Franchise - 1 posts
on the move - 2 posts
hello to you all - 3 posts
We found our area - 9 posts
weather in alicante - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 100

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x