New Year Celebrations

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Dec 2007 12:00 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

We are coming over for New Year for the first time what happens in the Marbella, Puerto Banus, Estepona area at this time?  Special restaurants etc. Do the Spanish celebrate New Year?

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 11:03 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

Only a little bit!!!!

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 12:03 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

OMG - make sure you bring plenty of wakey up pills! One of the best new year celebrations I had went as follows

Dinner at home around 10pm, start to get redy using clothes and red wine! Go out around 11pm and wander down to the square where there will be free music, entertainment and happy people (not falling over drunk (unless its you!)) or rowdy! Then go to kiosk and get your 12 grapes (or buy your own and i recommend the seedless small ones) and paper cup of cava. Then as the bell sounds down 12 strokes to midnight, count, eat a grape per stroke and wash it down with cava (needs SOME practise) then after swallowing, jump around kissing everyone and hugging total strangers shouting Happy New Year, or Feliz Ano Nuevo or Kronia Polla (thats greek) until you finish. Then watch the rest of the entertainement or go to the many bars which will be open unitl whenever.

A few years ago we went to a dutch bar that decided to celebrate I think it was either 5 or 6 time zones around the world with a free shot of that countries drink! Cant wuite remember getting home but I did wake up in my own bed - alive!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!

Quite frankly m'dear, I don't give a damn!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 1:17 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Cant wuite remember getting home but I did wake up in my own bed - alive!!!

Rixxy,

In the interests of medical science, can you please explain how you would wake up dead???

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 1:17 PM by nfm2862 Star rating in Welling, Kent & Al A.... 1460 posts Send private message

nfm2862´s avatar

Cant wuite remember getting home but I did wake up in my own bed - alive!!!

Rixxy,

In the interests of medical science, can you please explain how you would wake up dead???

Noreen

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      

nfm2862´s avatar

Hit the reply button twice in my enthusiasm!!! 

This message was last edited by nfm2862 on 12/11/2007.

www.alandaluscarhire.com

www.vera-apartment.com

www.verathalassa.es 

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 1:35 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Auntie EM, Kenco, my better half  OH  & I are going out together on New Year's Eve to a Chinese in Guardamar who do a marvellous spread all night with singers, dancing & fireworks. Ken would love to wear his kilt & bring his bagpipes but Em has told him no ! Em's driving as she claims she's teetotal !!! I'll put a stop to THAT.

Have a great New Year all.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 1:53 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Noreen - I can assure youI have woken up dead more times than I care to remember - or actually CANT remember!!!  Medical science has been mystified, I am an enigma.........and then I wake up.

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 2:28 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Proof !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Inez WAS held in custard overnight. Taken Jan 1st, 2007 & she's still laffing.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 3:21 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar

i always go to the square in Algorfa to bring in the new year.

The square is packed and they give away party hats,whistles and the obligatory 12 grapes.

If anyone hasn't tried swallowing a grape for every chime it's a must,i have never mastered it yet!!! by twelve o'clock i have generally lost all control of bodily functions and it's a result if you can get one grape anywhere near your mouth let alone swallowing anything solid!!

By the time you have finished choking and spitting pips to resemble the firework dispay going on behind you it's time to celebrate the Uk new year an hour later!!!

I have never quite worked out why the Spanish are allowed to store 3 tons of Semtex,TNT and firecrackers 3 feet from your table,disguise as pot plant and then synchronize it to detonate just as you are taking a sip of cerveza.

The first time i went and the brits starting singing auld langsyne(just realised i don't know how to spell that!) the spanish looked a bit bemused for about 2 seconds then joined in with their own version(lets face it theres not that many words to learn anyway).

The bar closes when the last person is capable of reaching it on their knees and then everyone tells each other in good tradition that they "really, really,really  love each other",and go home!

A cracking night out and not to be missed,i shall be there again this year trying to break my two grape personal best!!

Georgia 

This message was last edited by georgia on 12/11/2007.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 3:26 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

" If anyone hasn't tried swallowing 12 grapes for every chime "

Georgia, you're doing it wrong, mate. You eat one grape per chime otherwise you'd require 12x the amount.

(Do I know you ?)

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 3:29 PM by georgia Star rating in Algorfa (As seen on .... 1835 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

georgia´s avatar
i know what i meant!!!,i think,maybe thats where i am going wrong

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 3:48 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Where is this square you are talking about Rixxy?  and bear in mind that I am leaving behind the biggest street party in the world in Edinburgh just to be a little warmer, last year it was cancelled due to storms.

Like 0      
11 Dec 2007 6:59 PM by Sten46 Star rating in Hatton, Derbyshire &.... 243 posts Send private message

Do the Spanish celebrate New Year?

Does the Pope have a balcony?

Do the Spanish NEED an excuse like New Year to celebrate?

Steve.

Like 0      
12 Dec 2007 12:55 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

Well - just got my get out of jail card for this new year!!!!! so can join in the festivities

Tinto - where are you going to be as I know the Fuengirola one and the Marbella one but not Estepons, but anyone in town will know there the main square is for the fun and games!!

Edinburgh has NOTHING on what goes down here - with the ehat swimming in the sea, first footing at all the open doors snow sometimes bought in by lorry for snowballs and all the rest just doesnt compare somehow......................

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
12 Dec 2007 1:41 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar
Looking forward to it already, I fear a few rusty nails will be consumed!!

Like 0      
12 Dec 2007 2:02 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar
And monkeys brains!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      
17 Dec 2007 9:07 AM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

What is the taxi service like at New Year?  Do you have to book or are they at the stances as normal?

Like 0      
17 Dec 2007 1:34 PM by Rixxy Star rating in San Pedro. 2010 posts Send private message

Rixxy´s avatar

You will have to wait - for some reason they dont do prebook at all so best bet is to get to a bar, oder one then hang in till it arrives! Or join the queues.

Someone will have a taxi number so they will come to your complex as well if its for going out. Coming back will be trickier!

www.herbalmarbella.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Snag List / Insurance / tips on completion - 0 posts
Alta Entinas update - 5 posts
After Completion Payments - 4 posts
Can anyone recommend an agent for selling in El Algar - 1 posts
Property Franchise - 1 posts
on the move - 2 posts
hello to you all - 3 posts
We found our area - 9 posts
weather in alicante - 5 posts
Andalucian Dream Homes - 5 posts
Bank Repossessions - 5 posts
Apartment Different to Plan - 5 posts
Buying in Puerto Marina Los Alcazares - 1 posts
San Javier extension - 10 posts
sending money to spain - 1 posts
Constitution day. - 3 posts
Easyjet have released their Luton flights now - 0 posts
Enquiry about Maria de Castro's baby son. - 3 posts
Has it happened yet??? - 0 posts
Aifos - 3 posts
IBI Council Tax receipt - 6 posts
Cat Transport - 4 posts
Terry Imrie - 1 posts
vistalmar sur villas - 0 posts
Ex-Pat Faux-Pas? - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 19

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x